Trying to help friend with new CPU and heatsink - crazy thermal throttling on FX-8350

stratuh

A friend of mine admittedly is new to PC building. I'm trying to show him what to do over Discord and things have been going great until he got a new CPU and heatsink. He has an FX-8350 and a Noctua NH-L9x65.

His temperatures are fluctuating between 11c and 58c using HWMonitor, Aida64, and AMD Overdrive to monitor temperatures. In Aida64, his clock speeds also fluctuate from 4000mhz down to 1500mhz. I've attached photos of what he's shown me: his HWInfo page, temperature fluctuations in Aida64, clock fluctuations in Aida64, as well as his paste application.

The paste looks fine to me, maybe a hair too much, but his Aida64 images confuse me. He says the heatsink is installed properly but my best guess at the situation is it's not. Why else would it be thermal throttling? I myself have used an L9x65 for my Ryzen 2600 and things seemed fine, I don't know why it would be different for an FX-8350.

Is it safe to say the heatsink isn't on right or there could be other factors? The mobo is fine as is his case fan circulation, he was getting stable temps and clocks with an FX-6200 with the stock cooler previously.

49639334_2816446548579631_208659892175634432_n.jpg

Screenshot (403).png

Screenshot (407).png

Screenshot (413).png

He may have over -tightened it or done the opposite. That is usually the main problem I find

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

Knowing the FX-8350, they do run hot. But if he has a Noctua Cooler, temps should be fine. What is the airflow like in the system? I agree it may just be a mounting installation problem for the cooler if the temps are fluctuating that much. 

Please put all of the system specs, if the board is a 970 one it will have crap vrm. you need a good board. Check the asus corsair v formula z.

I have a fx 8150 and I have at 5ghz with a water loop. it will pull more then 220w alone.

4 hours ago, Xkillerpn said:

Please put all of the system specs, if the board is a 970 one it will have crap vrm. you need a good board. Check the asus corsair v formula z.

I have a fx 8150 and I have at 5ghz with a water loop. it will pull more then 220w alone.

Full specs are in the attachments re: HWInfo image. It is a 970 board.

1 . So looking at that second Aida64 picture: Its kicking itself into AMD Quiet'n'Cool Mode (Wikipedia Cool'n'Quiet Article) when not under load. 

2. NH-L9x65 Cooler is not recommend by Notctua (Noctua L9X65 Guidelines) for 125w Processors hence no good for a FX-8350. 

3. GA-970A-D3SP only have a 4+1 VRM plus 970 boards will run hot. I've run a FX-8350 on MSI 970 Gaming (6+2 VRM)  and saw temps on the VRM up to 80C. 

I'd look for a better rated CPU cooler and some kind of cooling fan for the VRM heatsink if your friends is deadset on keeping the board. Otherwise, 990FX board like Xkillerpn mentioned.

4 hours ago, LastFuse said:

1 . So looking at that second Aida64 picture: Its kicking itself into AMD Quiet'n'Cool Mode (Wikipedia Cool'n'Quiet Article) when not under load. 

2. NH-L9x65 Cooler is not recommend by Notctua (Noctua L9X65 Guidelines) for 125w Processors hence no good for a FX-8350. 

3. GA-970A-D3SP only have a 4+1 VRM plus 970 boards will run hot. I've run a FX-8350 on MSI 970 Gaming (6+2 VRM)  and saw temps on the VRM up to 80C. 

I'd look for a better rated CPU cooler and some kind of cooling fan for the VRM heatsink if your friends is deadset on keeping the board. Otherwise, 990FX board like Xkillerpn mentioned.

Even the fx 6300 will be in trubble there with that vrm, just as a budget option get a 990FX board Asus and MSi have very good options.

My testings are that the FX 8150 oc 4.7 will run all of the new games 60 fps with a rx580 ofc if the gpu can deliver those fps, more then a rx580 and is a waste.

As a solution put a fan on that board vrm and on the bios if possible turn off the safeties to alow the vrm to deliver more power, it can be the solution please be carefull you can set it on fire. 

9 hours ago, LastFuse said:

I don't know what the issue was but I had him take the heatsink off and retry and it didn't fix it. Then he turned CPB and C&Q off and likewise no change. He then took his old CPU, put it back in, and it looked great. Then he tried the 8350 again and now it looks fine too. Aida64 for 30 minutes, hovering around 50c at 100% synthetic load. Motherboard is around 60c. Could taking off the CPU and putting it back in fix it?

On 1/9/2019 at 12:16 PM, stratuh said:

A friend of mine admittedly is new to PC building. I'm trying to show him what to do over Discord and things have been going great until he got a new CPU and heatsink. He has an FX-8350 and a Noctua NH-L9x65.

His temperatures are fluctuating between 11c and 58c using HWMonitor, Aida64, and AMD Overdrive to monitor temperatures. In Aida64, his clock speeds also fluctuate from 4000mhz down to 1500mhz. I've attached photos of what he's shown me: his HWInfo page, temperature fluctuations in Aida64, clock fluctuations in Aida64, as well as his paste application.

The paste looks fine to me, maybe a hair too much, but his Aida64 images confuse me. He says the heatsink is installed properly but my best guess at the situation is it's not. Why else would it be thermal throttling? I myself have used an L9x65 for my Ryzen 2600 and things seemed fine, I don't know why it would be different for an FX-8350.

Is it safe to say the heatsink isn't on right or there could be other factors? The mobo is fine as is his case fan circulation, he was getting stable temps and clocks with an FX-6200 with the stock cooler previously.

49639334_2816446548579631_208659892175634432_n.jpg

Screenshot (403).png

Screenshot (407).png

Screenshot (413).png

first mistake was buying an fx chip they are garbage in today's cpu world

2 minutes ago, Earnist_ said:

first mistake was buying an fx chip they are garbage in today's cpu world

He's working on an extreme budget.

1 minute ago, stratuh said:

He's working on an extreme budget.

what did he pay for it

3 minutes ago, Earnist_ said:

what did he pay for it

IIRC $50.

1 minute ago, stratuh said:

IIRC $50.

honestly he just should save up for a better chip the fx 8350 is junk

2 hours ago, Earnist_ said:

honestly he just should save up for a better chip the fx 8350 is junk

That's such a noob thing to say.... 'just save up more money and buy better'  Not every one has that option, it's not just a question of buying a new CPU... but motherboard and ram on top. Your 'just buy better' genius solution costs a few hundred dollars more than anyone on an extreme budget has got.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

1 hour ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

That's such a noob thing to say.... 'just save up more money and buy better'  Not every one has that option, it's not just a question of buying a new CPU... but motherboard and ram on top. Your 'just buy better' genius solution costs a few hundred dollars more than anyone on an extreme budget has got.

i said saving up to buy better would be more worth it because going to a 8350 yields almost no upgrade its pointless so saving is a better option

Just try to put a fan on those vrm it will help and then run the cpu stock. the fx 8350 is not that bad , will put my fx 8150 on far cry 5 its uses alot of cpu. 

its not the best put you can play with it with +- good fps.