Wanted: Micro ATX AM4 Cooler for OC

nullata

Hi guys,

Im looking for some advice regarding a small form factor build in micro atx.

The system has a ryzen 2700 cpu with stock cooler on a Gigabyte Aorus B450 M MB. The case is a cheap-o one but its quite well vented actually, 200mm width.

The cpu will be oc'ed, with a target of about 4ghz, but for that to happen i need to put on a better cooler obviously.

There is roughly about 25mm of space taken up between the top of the cpu, cables and the back panel.

The problem: if i put in for example a cooler master 212 in push-pull, thats about 165mm tall, then that leaves 30mm of clearance for airflow between the cooler and the glass panel.

Also dimms are on the taller side : Dimensions (L x H x W): 133.2 x 42.65 x 7.5mm, so no chance of putting in a bigger(wider) cooler.

How much of a thermal problem do you think that would be and if at all?

Also i can put in a liquid cooler and replace the exhaust in the back or put it in as intake or put it on top or w/e,

but i for now im thinking of avoiding that.

Live long and prosper

I can do anything in bash

What's the free height between the mobo and case side? If the cooler fits in that, it is fine. Don't need space above the cooler, only on the sides where the air flow goes.

If you're only aiming for 4.0 GHz, it shouldn't need too big a cooler. I have a 2600, that does 4.2 on a Noctua D9L which is on the small side for their coolers. 4.0 would probably allow lower voltage than I needed for 4.2, so even with 8 cores you can probably get away with something in a similar ball park. Of course, if you go more, that doesn't hurt.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Thanks, yea you're right.

I was talking about this exactly. The cooler should in theory fit(dont have it yet). To try and be clearer: by my measurements there would be ~>30mm between the highest point of the tower cooler relative to the MB and the glass panel on the side.

On the top of the cooler there would be lots of space, and on the bottom >10mm because of the graphics card.

I was looking at some 92mm fan based tower coolers too(smaller ones), and for some of em i can see stats like up-to 320W cooling capacity, but im not quite sure if i should be trusting that.

Never had to worry about cooling so much before, either went with the biggest one i could find or stock, depending on what was i going to use the machine for.

So like no experience in that area ?

I can do anything in bash

There's no need for extra clearance above the cooler -- it just needs to fit. Touching the side panel isn't a problem asides from possibly causing vibrational noise or scratching an plastic panel. 

What case are you using and which Hyper 212 are you looking at? The tallest one should be the Hyper 212 LED Turbo which is 163mm due to the top plating. Push / pull shouldn't raise the height. 

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.