Windows 10 May Reserve Another 7GB For Updates.

Uttamattamakin
Go to solution Solved by LAwLz,
7 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Yeah, when hardware was expensive, higher dev costs made more sense. As hardware gets cheaper, high dev costs no longer make sense.

I understand that, but when you are a software company, which is by far the most widely used PC operating system, then maybe you should invest some money into optimizing it.

"It costs money" is to me not a valid excuse for doing a poor job. Again, imagine if Volkswagen used that excuse for poor miles per gallon results compared to their competitors.

"It costs a lot of money to make the engines more efficient".

And yes I understand that Microsoft makes money basically regardless of how well optimized Windows is. I can understand business decisions for how to allocate resources without having to agree with it. What I am saying here is that I wish Microsoft would take better care of Windows than they do.

As a consumer and user of their product, I don't really care how much money they make from something. What I care about is how good the product is. I am not here to argue how Microsoft can create a product I will buy with as little effort as possible. I am here to voice my opinion about how I think Microsoft should make the product better for me. I am not employed by Microsoft so I don't have any obligation to defend them. I am a user so I should express what I want.

Why am I not surprised that this thread just turned out to be a bunch of people going?

"What, the software is badly written? Just throw more hardware at it and the problem goes away!"

It's just like in the Blizzard launcher thread.

Stop excusing bloated software with "just get better hardware".

garbage windows, microsoft has no idea how to program, has only useless programmers and the OS is getting worse with every update, instead of getting rid of hibernation files and winsxs and all the garbage that comes preinstalled here goes another 7GB reserved for trash updates because they cant check for diskspace before update and inform the user and/or allow the user to select another drive to use as cache for update instead they will probably force it and by default installation windows will reserver +7 GB out of your hard drive, my OS drive is 250GB SSD so this is fucked up if i cant disable it fuck you MS weak ass programers

in 7GB i cant install full linux distro with all its software and drivers... yet MS needs 7GB just for updates cancer, im 100% convinced MS only produces bloatware, every modern component or app or feature now has 100times the storage space an app like that actually needs, linux best model for OS only put in what is needed and program most of it in C/C++ or equivalent

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Why am I not surprised that this thread just turned out to be a bunch of people going?

"What, the software is badly written? Just throw more hardware at it and the problem goes away!"

It's how the modern programmers handle the need of computer resources, why wasting time at optimizing code when you could just tell people to buy better hardware? 

Seems like not everyone understand this

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, yian88 said:

in 7GB i cant install full linux distro with all its software and drivers

And?

Don't justify buying a bottom tier piece of shit with it being able to run shitty software.

Just now, Lukyp said:

It's how the modern programmers handle the need of computer resources, why wasting time at optimizing code when you could just tell people to buy better hardware? 

It's how computer technology has always worked.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Tell that to the Apollo guidance computer programmers lol

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't justify buying a bottom tier piece of shit with it being able to run shitty software.

A pity that shitty software thanks to it's size is used on the most embedded computers, cough, excuse me bottom tier piece of shit computer, in the world

18 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yo, what thread is that?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Lukyp said:

A pity that shitty software thanks to it's size is used on the most embedded computers, cough, excuse me bottom tier piece of shit computer, in the world

What we see in embedded systems is far, far different from desktop Linux. The only thing they have in common is the kernal, and even then, specialized distributions accept almost no community conyribution, and what little they do, is heavily vetted. Basically, the only good Linux is that which resembles Unix distros like OSX or Solaris.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

22 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No it wasn't.

Back in the old days, programmers optimized the shit out of their programs. They had to because their entire games had to fit and run on extremely limited hardware. The entire Pokemon Crystal game is 1MB and runs on a 2.097MHz processor with 32KB RAM.

@Lukyp don't bother arguing with Drak3 about GNU/Linux. He doesn't know what he is talking about.

He thinks OSX is based on Debian, and that Kali is just as locked down as Windows because "Kali isn't open source".

9 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Yo, what thread is that?

This one (quite long thread, but I'll link to my first comment):

26 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Not better hardware, but hardware that can actually run the OS comfortably with enough storage. Put the blame on the OEM's that pushed out crap with only 32GB of eMMC storage.

8 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

This one (quite long thread, but I'll link to my first comment):

Oh, it is that one after all. It was a month after I joined. That's some prehistoric era.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

18 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Basically, the only good Linux is that which resembles Unix distros like OSX or Solaris.

Never tried Manjaro, MX Linux, or Mint? OSX limits you more in some ways than a Linux distro and is more expensive than Windows, IIRC Solaris is more intended for server than daily desktop use.

Rip Surface 3 non-pro owners like me. I have nothing on this but some documents, Office 365, and Discord

Surface 3.PNG

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

6 hours ago, yian88 said:

garbage windows, microsoft has no idea how to program, has only useless programmers and the OS is getting worse with every update, instead of getting rid of hibernation files and winsxs and all the garbage that comes preinstalled here goes another 7GB reserved for trash updates because they cant check for diskspace before update and inform the user and/or allow the user to select another drive to use as cache for update instead they will probably force it and by default installation windows will reserver +7 GB out of your hard drive, my OS drive is 250GB SSD so this is fucked up if i cant disable it fuck you MS weak ass programers

in 7GB i cant install full linux distro with all its software and drivers... yet MS needs 7GB just for updates cancer, im 100% convinced MS only produces bloatware, every modern component or app or feature now has 100times the storage space an app like that actually needs, linux best model for OS only put in what is needed and program most of it in C/C++ or equivalent

So... do better.

You clearly seems to know everything so you don't need to read any documentation.

Where is yiuan88 OS? We are waiting!

Where is the cure to cancer? You seem to treat cancer as a joke, and a trivial disease like a common cold on a perfectly healthy person with a cure  that cure is available at the corner drug store for a nominal cost.

Don't talk when you know nothing.

5 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Rip Surface 3 non-pro owners like me. I have nothing on this but some documents, Office 365, and Discord

Surface 3.PNG

Install Discord, documents and Office on the microSD card.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Install Discord, documents and Office on the microSD card.

Im only using this thing for the rest of today. This was a holdover while I waited for a battery from china. But if I do ever use my Surface again, ye

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

29 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

What we see in embedded systems is far, far different from desktop Linux. The only thing they have in common is the kernal, and even then, specialized distributions accept almost no community conyribution, and what little they do, is heavily vetted. Basically, the only good Linux is that which resembles Unix distros like OSX or Solaris.

That's true but comparing a 9GB desktop linux distro with basically the double isn't, isn't the same as Linux distros are just modular, they work differently and you could remove everything from something like ubuntu and have a 1GB install everywhere, imo the only thing in my opinion that Windows could do is start doing a modular Windows 10 experience like you could have on something like Windows 10 Server Core, but possibly with better documentation and let the user control everything in their systems while leaving everything (or maybe better configured without crapware and optimizing their os) on other "simple" users 

The smallest install I had (not ubuntu though) was customized in every way, compiled ad-hoc kernel with just the basic drivers needed, 80MB with minimal X.org and FLTK on a 128MB of ram + 1GB tf-disk on 20€ embedded hardware, ram usage was about 32MB, and it could be done better

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Never tried Manjaro, MX Linux, or Mint? OSX limits you more than a Linux distro and is more expensive than Windows, IIRC Solaris is more intended for server than daily desktop use.

Solaris is Unix not Linux. Design for servers, and poor market share made Oracle fire all its core developers of the platform.

In other words, its essentially dead, and all that gets updated are the open source packages that they use.

7 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Never tried Manjaro, MX Linux, or Mint? OSX limits you more in some ways than a Linux distro and is more expensive than Windows, IIRC Solaris is more intended for server than daily desktop use.

I've been trying to use Mint since 2012. I've tried every major Ubuntu derivative since 2012, tried Debian, Fedora, PuppyLinux, Kuki Linux, and many other distrobutions.

Nothing but problems.

The only distros I haven't had issues with are Backtrack 5, Kali, and Ubuntu Server.

Solaris works well for me. OSX works well for me, and what few legitimate limitations of the OS there are, are irrelevant. I don't need to change OSX drastically to get a viable system with it. Windows works well for me.

Basically, FOSS operating systems have just been consistantly unstable pieces of shitware. After 6 years, I'm not trying to get a system out of them anymore.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

For some reason I'm still on 1703 and Windows hasn't complained yet...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yeah years ago I'd see it as a huge annoyance when people would buy like 32GB SSD for OS and even 64GB is kinda gone. Really no one should own a device these days that isn't at least like 128GB for desktop OS though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

For some reason I'm still on 1703 and Windows hasn't complained yet...

You'll find bill gates in front of your house door with an army of microsoft engineers and they will forcibly update it

20 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

You'll find bill gates in front of your house door with an army of microsoft engineers and they will forcibly update it

I don't really care to be honest, all I did was set my connection to metered because I didn't want it to update too frequently... I didn't intend for it to just stop updating lol

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

12 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I don't really care to be honest, all I did was set my connection to metered because I didn't want it to update too frequently... I didn't intend for it to just stop updating lol

At some point they add deferef updates, security can be postponed to 30 days, and feature updates for a year.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

At some point they add deferef updates, security can be postponed to 30 days, and feature updates for a year.

Fair enough, I don't mind as long as I get security updates.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

18 minutes ago, Sauron said:

When I first installed Windows 10, Windows Update got bugged and after a month it couldn't find any new update, neither the Windows Defender ones, this was annoying for me as I wanted the latest features and bug fixes. 
If only I had know how all of this would end up...

47 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I've been trying to use Mint since 2012. I've tried every major Ubuntu derivative since 2012, tried Debian, Fedora, PuppyLinux, Kuki Linux, and many other distrobutions.

Nothing but problems.

The only distros I haven't had issues with are Backtrack 5, Kali, and Ubuntu Server.

Solaris works well for me. OSX works well for me, and what few legitimate limitations of the OS there are, are irrelevant. I don't need to change OSX drastically to get a viable system with it. Windows works well for me.

Basically, FOSS operating systems have just been consistantly unstable pieces of shitware. After 6 years, I'm not trying to get a system out of them anymore.

It's strange because the Mac OS userland is FOSS and comes in part from FreeBSD, the kernel is open source too. The fact is you are getting a pre-built machine with an OS on it, and it would be surely have all the drivers and the fixes. And has a big company like Apple behind it, Linux distros have to run on everywhere, the development and the speed of bug fixes come from the interest and the market value, and could be not suitable for the most recent desktop system as there aren't enough developers or interest unless you want to find how to fix those things by yourself, with some exception though as vendors like Dell sell computers with Linux on it, so no strange ACPI issues.

All the linux distros are very similar to each other and they just differ by their packaging methods, versions, slight modifications or compile options (including the kernel), cutting edge software or stable, they got bugs that could come from the software (so called upstream bugs) or by the package  or from a configuration (distro maintainers fault), like every OS in this world, nothing strange.
You could discuss on some other aspects of this approach like the small amount of people working on it on some specific packages, and the fact it could be definitely better, how could you blame something created by the community that works like this? The only issue in there is the small number of active developers especially on desktops where there aren't enough desktop users, it's a chicken-egg paradox but whatever, they are also not pretending or making you pay for it, there are less excuses for an os like Windows if an issue persist for more than one month

Still severe bugs from crucial aspects of a Linux distro are quite rare, and if present they are resolved quickly especially on distros who are running big servers as there are paid developers from companies for this that don't come (but could also be in some cases) from the typical linux "community" developers for a specific distro

Edited by Guest