Windows 10 May Reserve Another 7GB For Updates.

Uttamattamakin
Go to solution Solved by LAwLz,
7 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Yeah, when hardware was expensive, higher dev costs made more sense. As hardware gets cheaper, high dev costs no longer make sense.

I understand that, but when you are a software company, which is by far the most widely used PC operating system, then maybe you should invest some money into optimizing it.

"It costs money" is to me not a valid excuse for doing a poor job. Again, imagine if Volkswagen used that excuse for poor miles per gallon results compared to their competitors.

"It costs a lot of money to make the engines more efficient".

And yes I understand that Microsoft makes money basically regardless of how well optimized Windows is. I can understand business decisions for how to allocate resources without having to agree with it. What I am saying here is that I wish Microsoft would take better care of Windows than they do.

As a consumer and user of their product, I don't really care how much money they make from something. What I care about is how good the product is. I am not here to argue how Microsoft can create a product I will buy with as little effort as possible. I am here to voice my opinion about how I think Microsoft should make the product better for me. I am not employed by Microsoft so I don't have any obligation to defend them. I am a user so I should express what I want.

13 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Actually installing kubuntu "as is" is only 8 GB

Wow...what bloat. I can install damn small linux and use all of 50MB

31 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Actually installing kubuntu "as is" is only 8 GB (even less with the minimal installation option, but in this mode it only installs a web browser and some basic tools). Pretty small for a fully setup OS with office and everything.

kubuntu is a heavy distro because KDE. try an Arch install with LXDE desktop. that's even less. 

She/Her

18 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Wow...what bloat. I can install damn small linux and use all of 50MB

i think Arch with a lightwieght desktop would be a better argument because it is a lot more usable. 

She/Her

31 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Would be fine without MS's laziness....

No, it IS fine as you pointed out earlier:

14 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

BTW most normies upload everything into the cloud

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

40 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

People keep saying that, and I've yet to see a laptop fail due to HDD breaking without said laptop being subject to the type of abuse that will kill most devices in roughly the same time frame anyways.

well those low-cost 2 in 1's that flip around with spinning storage are unreliable by principle. flipping over a spinning hdd is a really bad idea. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

kubuntu is a heavy distro because KDE. try an Arch install with LXDE desktop. that's even less. 

I'd rather install Windows XP and a good antivirus.

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

well those low-cost 2 in 1's that flip around with spinning storage are unreliable by principle. flipping over a spinning hdd is a really bad idea. 

Low cost 2 in 1s are shit that should be avoided at all costs.

Which are none. Seeing as those worthless pieces of shit usually cost more.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

i can fit a Linux distro with a web browser just fine with 32gb. probably have more than half left over. 

especially if i start off with a commandline only distro, and just install a window manager and a web browser. 

32Gb is not ok for windows, but if you want to run a potato, sure.

5 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

If we're talking about lightweight operating systems, we can't ignore Lubuntu. I've personally run this on various machines. According to the https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu :

For comparison, here are the minimum supported requirements of Lubuntu:

• 266 MHz processor;
  • 128 MB;
  • 3 GB hard drive;
  • no fancy graphics

A more usable system would have:

• 512 MHz processor or faster, 32 or 64 bits;
  • 512 MB of RAM;
  • 6 GB hard drive;
  • no fancy graphics

5 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

If we're talking about lightweight operating systems, we can't ignore Lubuntu. I've personally run this on various machines. According to the https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu :

I had it running on my PII 233...fun times. And that was with working internet. Though of course nothing could really be done in a timely manner on it. That took replacing it with a Celeron 450A.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Posts like this make me question why is there even a  "mark as best asnwer" option in a Tech News sub thread, @leadeater 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Just now, Dabombinable said:

I had it running on my PII 233...fun times. And that was with working internet. Though of course nothing could really be done in a timely manner on it. That took replacing it with a Celeron 450A. 

Wow that's impressive, it means it can essentially run on any modern piece of hardware, even running on the Celeron is impressive, obviously it would be much smoother too. It's a neat product for those who have a use for it. I'm experimenting at the moment with Kali Light, seeing similar results, pretty smooth on my i5-5200U laptop.

3 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Posts like this make me question why is there even a  "mark as best asnwer" option in a Tech News sub thread, @leadeater 

When used properly I can give users another summary of the article/story. Especially useful if it's an ongoing and evolving story. For a news article, it should be more like 'Highlighted Response' rather than 'Best Answer'

3 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

When used properly I can give users another summary of the article/story. Especially useful if it's an ongoing and evolving story. For a news article, it should be more like 'Highlighted Response' rather than 'Best Answer'

Still would be biased given the person posted has the ability to do so and not really an indication of anything when it's used wrong. 

Edited by Rohith_Kumar_Sp
word

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Just now, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Still would biased given the person posted has the ability to do so and not really an indication of anything when it's used wrong.  

To be honest, you're not wrong. The system could be modified for the 'Tech News' section, but it's probably not a high priority for the developers right now.

27 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Wow that's impressive, it means it can essentially run on any modern piece of hardware, even running on the Celeron is impressive, obviously it would be much smoother too. It's a neat product for those who have a use for it. I'm experimenting at the moment with Kali Light, seeing similar results, pretty smooth on my i5-5200U laptop.

Give Lubuntu 2x PIII 1000, and even with PC133 SDRAM you'd think its running on a modern machine.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

8 hours ago, 79wjd said:

No, it IS fine as you pointed out earlier:

You cant store programs in the cloud................ Im done with you.

8 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

i think Arch with a lightwieght desktop would be a better argument because it is a lot more usable. 

For a normie arch  is a nightmare... Kubuntu is more close to windows in terms of look and layout.

2 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

The best answers are always epic memes, I think they are anyway ?

3 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Still would biased given the person posted has the ability to do so and not really an indication of anything when it's used wrong. 

1. start thread call Microsoft ...

2. wait for someone to post how good MS is and how Linux users are just jealous and only Linux users because they can't afford more ram or a bigger SSD.

3.mark post as best answer

4. watch panties get so knotted up that individuals look like four people trying run a three legged race.

Meme on.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

For a normie arch  is a nightmare... Kubuntu is more close to windows in terms of look and layout.

Manjaro exists. 

also 25 pages holy F

She/Her

38 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Manjaro exists. 

also 25 pages holy F

Nah, for normies the LTS model is better than the rolling model. Way more stable.

6 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

You cant store programs in the cloud................ Im done with you.

Most users have chrome/Firefox/edge, office, and maybe Spotify. (According to you, most use FB, email, and YouTube -- so even the Spotify app is extra especially since a web player exists). Most "normies" doing things in the cloud equates to very few local programs and 32gb being sufficient.

Don't get upset with me because your argument is flawed.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

17 hours ago, 79wjd said:

Most users have chrome/Firefox/edge, office, and maybe Spotify. (According to you, most use FB, email, and YouTube -- so even the Spotify app is extra especially since a web player exists). Most "normies" doing things in the cloud equates to very few local programs and 32gb being sufficient.

Don't get upset with me because your argument is flawed.

One could argue that every website... for that matter every app that was ever hosted on a mainframe or server was hosted "in the cloud".  The idea of a PC as a thin client that can run a few programs locally is not new or strange.