Windows 10 May Reserve Another 7GB For Updates.

Uttamattamakin
Go to solution Solved by LAwLz,
7 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Yeah, when hardware was expensive, higher dev costs made more sense. As hardware gets cheaper, high dev costs no longer make sense.

I understand that, but when you are a software company, which is by far the most widely used PC operating system, then maybe you should invest some money into optimizing it.

"It costs money" is to me not a valid excuse for doing a poor job. Again, imagine if Volkswagen used that excuse for poor miles per gallon results compared to their competitors.

"It costs a lot of money to make the engines more efficient".

And yes I understand that Microsoft makes money basically regardless of how well optimized Windows is. I can understand business decisions for how to allocate resources without having to agree with it. What I am saying here is that I wish Microsoft would take better care of Windows than they do.

As a consumer and user of their product, I don't really care how much money they make from something. What I care about is how good the product is. I am not here to argue how Microsoft can create a product I will buy with as little effort as possible. I am here to voice my opinion about how I think Microsoft should make the product better for me. I am not employed by Microsoft so I don't have any obligation to defend them. I am a user so I should express what I want.

16 minutes ago, porina said:

My system work hours are 24/7. Where's the setting for that?

i ask this out of curiosity, not "bull shit you're lying"

but what is it that you do at home that requires your PC to be on 24/7 with no downtime to do a 1-2 minute (if that) restart?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

You can use a flashdisc too…. 

it is another investment but it should save the cheap p.c. 

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

Isn't it ridiculous how there are so many people with technical issues on a forum of supposedly self proclaimed tech enthusiasts.  

sometimes even the biggest nerd needs help xD 

She/Her

21 minutes ago, Arika S said:

i ask this out of curiosity, not "bull shit you're lying"

but what is it that you do at home that requires your PC to be on 24/7 with no downtime to do a 1-2 minute (if that) restart?

Various processing tasks. In theory I could set auto-login and auto-resume, but without an elegant shutdown there is a chance of corruption and wasted time, in the order of CPU-days per system. This is more painful now with increasing electricity costs. Before anyone else says it, I don't want to mess with Linux either as that is a different set of problems.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

In my humble opinion this will make the 32GB inexpensive windows computer obsolete.

For a moment I actually had my Windows 10 Pro installed on a 32gb Intel Optane Memory for that super sweet NVMe performance and for the fun out of it... I thought well 32GB ought to be enough JUST for the windows and all else can be on the second SSD.

I was greatly mistaken when I saw my windows was getting alone to the 27GB margin already... Then there are the whole "windows.old" folder and all the extra useless junk that uses stupid amounts of disk space and you can't move it elsewhere.

Indeed If Microsoft keeps this up 120GB SSD for inexpensive mobile Windows machines will no longer be enough.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

6 hours ago, corrado33 said:

If you have an SSD you're unnecessarily killing it faster. :)

Exactly. Much faster. I got laptop from ebay 3 days ago. It had windows 10 on it. It did upgrade to 1809 version. Then i checked ssd life and i noticed it had written about 26 GB and read 17 GB from ssd in about an 2 hour maybe. That is damn too high. I do not do that much writes and reads on my ssd using my arch linux whole day!

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

9 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Then there are the whole "windows.old" folder and all the extra useless junk that uses stupid amounts of disk space and you can't move it elsewhere.

windows.old is removable. you can go to disk cleanup and remove it from there. 

She/Her

Winodws was already taking too much of my disk with update files already ...

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

Winodws was already taking too much of my disk with update files already ...

It won't take more. It will use that reserve space

7 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Maybe now manufactures will stop making system with 32GB of storage, and put in 64GB instead allowing more storage.

But anyway, from my understanding on this, it can use external storage instead. Meaning, if you insert a microSD card (say), it will use that, instead of your main storage for update. (update: Doesn't look like, but with Storage Sense you can merge that microSD card with your system drive. So you still have 1 drive, but it will be larger.)

I can tell you now that it doesn't work on my windows tablet.. I couldn't update it, so put a 32GB card in, and it still won't update and says not enough space (after about 2 hours). I didn't use it much anyway, but still annoying.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Guess I'll throw my 32GB Windows 10 Tablet out the window since I couldn't even do regular updates with the space that is taking

Meanwhile my entire Kubuntu system files weight 9.8 GB lol including my programs

image.thumb.png.ece7a39cad573a0c34096bc876194706.png

1 minute ago, paddy-stone said:

I can tell you now that it doesn't work on my windows tablet.. I couldn't update it, so put a 32GB card in, and it still won't update and says not enough space (after about 2 hours). I didn't use it much anyway, but still annoying.

I think GoodBytes said you could do a JBOD setup and it will work. 

However, this is an absolutely terrible idea. If you accidentally pull the SD card out, or it fails, it might corrupt things on your eMMC too. 

Performance will be horrible too. 

4 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

That is because the way Windows see a 32GB card on a tablet isn't the same as it would do with a typical external USB storage, you need to create a vhd disk through disk manager, and create a service which mounts it every time, or mount it manually, I solved it in this way on my 32GB tablet 

2 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

That is because the way Windows see a 32GB card on a tablet isn't the same as it would do with a typical external USB storage, you need to create a vhd disk through disk manager, and create a service which mounts it every time, or mount it manually, I solved it in this way on my 32GB tablet 

Ahh cool, I might give that a try, thanks... as I said I didn't use it much anyway, pretty much just had it sitting beside my bed so that if there was a problems with the server I could do it from there.

If I get it sorted I might give it to my great-niece, but it is SLOOOOW, so she might not want it, lol

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

30 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

windows.old is removable. you can go to disk cleanup and remove it from there. 

I mean, I'm perfectly aware it is, but you can not stop Windows from doing it in the first place.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

I mean, I'm perfectly aware it is, but you can not stop Windows from doing it in the first place.

I'm confortable with it tbh, I think it is needed for recovering from unsuccessful updates, better than having an unusable system like when it happened on Win7, and after a month it would delete itself

Another reason of Switching from windows OS to another OS!  

As someone with a $200 laptop w/ a 32gb C drive and >4 gigs remaining.

This sucks.

I feel compelled a little more each day to switch to Linux...

Desktop:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.75* RAM: 2 by 8gb G.Skill Flare X 2400 @2666* GPU Strix GTX 1070 @1880-ish

Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500gb; 2x 2tb Seagate Barracuda Drives; 1tb hdd (It died after 4 years :();

Laptop: (HP Stream 11-y010nr "Spent all my money on my Desktop" Edition)

CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 @160 BILLION hertz RAM: 400 BILLION bytes Samsung DDR3L @160 BILLION hertz 

GPUIntel HIGH DEFINITION Graphics @32 BILLION hertz

Storage: 32 TRILLION bytes of SOLID STATE emmc C drive with 64 TRILLION bytes of SOLID STATE microSD card D drive.

*Overclocked around 25% of the time... questionably stable.

8 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-windows-10-to-grab-7gb-of-your-storage-so-big-updates-dont-fail/

OK, if I was one of the people who bought one of the inexpensive windows machines with 32GB of Flash storage I would be very angry about this.  This is going to be really annoying.  It is better now that windows 10 more readily supports keeping files in the cloud and downloading them as needed while still keeping them visible in the file structure.  On a machine like that up to now 12-16 of the 32 GB was the OS.  Now 19-23 GB of the storage will be the OS.   Can one even install MS office, the one thing such devices have that chromebook doesn't, in what is left?  About one GB for anything else. 

In my humble opinion this will make the 32GB inexpensive windows computer obsolete.   

Which is very bad for a lot of people.  A lot of students are only able to afford a very cheap computer.  There are some things that just cannot be done on a computer belonging to a school or a library.  There are some things that just cannot be done on a phone.   Why not just give people the option of downloading the updates to a USB then installing it from there?  

As someone who knows someone with a 32gb machine. That hit garbage was already obsolete. Ended up giving them my old laptop because the thing was unusable and it only Windows chrome and Microsoft office. The fact that someone thought a 32gb Windows machine was a good idea is actually a joke. 

8 minutes ago, Linker said:

As someone with a $200 laptop w/ a 32gb C drive and >4 gigs remaining.

This sucks.

I feel compelled a little more each day to switch to Linux...

If you don't have issues with space now, then you won't after.

If you have issues with space now, then you'll be fighting to make room in any case.

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

If you require your system on 24/7 then you can't do updates that require a restart,  get linux.

Or perhaps you do have time to update but its not always regular,  in which case you should be using enterprise.

99% of home users are just that, home users, they can turn off every night.  The point of forced updates on home is because home users are predominately the ones that don't update and are also the ones with a regular power cycle.

Exactly. Its just like that guy I argued with a bit ago where his PC needed to be on 24/7 because he never saved anything and bitched that he lost time when it rebooted.

The needs of the many beat the needs of the few. I get people want updates but windows security was shit until they began forcing updates. Even then you can delay it and it will only force reboot once a month. If you cant find a 10min down period to update than you need  to rethink your setup.

1 hour ago, mate_mate91 said:

Exactly. Much faster. I got laptop from ebay 3 days ago. It had windows 10 on it. It did upgrade to 1809 version. Then i checked ssd life and i noticed it had written about 26 GB and read 17 GB from ssd in about an 2 hour maybe. That is damn too high. I do not do that much writes and reads on my ssd using my arch linux whole day!

Far from "much faster". 

Second gen SSD could stand 50gb write a day and it would  take 3 years for the NAND to fail. Modern SSDs can do multiple Petabytes of writes. It will not kill your SSD any faster.

8 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

As someone who knows someone with a 32gb machine. That hit garbage was already obsolete. Ended up giving them my old laptop because the thing was unusable and it only Windows chrome and Microsoft office. The fact that someone thought a 32gb Windows machine was a good idea is actually a joke. 

One is better off going to a recycling center, get an laptop from there for $50 or so, get an 120-250GB SSD (especially now that they drop in price) and call it day.

Late Core 2 Duo with Windows 10, 4GB of RAM, and an SSD will fly especially compared to these low end systems, and you end up paying less, and might end up with a better display, and similar battery life, 13-14inch, and maybe a an entry level Nvidia/AMD GPU in it. And that is if you go with the Core 2 Duo... and not a 1st or 2nd gen Core i5, which obviously will be much faster, and better Intel integrated graphics, and so on. Worth a look at such center, is all I am saying.

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

If you don't have issues with space now, then you won't after.

If you have issues with space now, then you'll be fighting to make room in any case.

I have issues with space on my C drive.

It just barely fits everything I need, and the 4gb goes down to as low as like 300mb during updates.

64 gb microsd card holds everything else.

I'll find a way if it becomes an issue, it just bothers me how bloaty windows is.

Desktop:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.75* RAM: 2 by 8gb G.Skill Flare X 2400 @2666* GPU Strix GTX 1070 @1880-ish

Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500gb; 2x 2tb Seagate Barracuda Drives; 1tb hdd (It died after 4 years :();

Laptop: (HP Stream 11-y010nr "Spent all my money on my Desktop" Edition)

CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 @160 BILLION hertz RAM: 400 BILLION bytes Samsung DDR3L @160 BILLION hertz 

GPUIntel HIGH DEFINITION Graphics @32 BILLION hertz

Storage: 32 TRILLION bytes of SOLID STATE emmc C drive with 64 TRILLION bytes of SOLID STATE microSD card D drive.

*Overclocked around 25% of the time... questionably stable.

Meh. The only issue to come from this that isn't pebkac is insuffiecient hardware on bottom tier machines that barely do what's asked of them.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

A lot  of people such as of students simply cannot afford a better computer. 

Especially if they bought a computer with 32 GB of storage over the last year and now they are about to be not just weak but effectively obsolete

A device like this one was a really good value for a college student, had/has? better IO than a surface pro. 

Spoiler

Funny thing that such a simple device has USBC and my surface pro does not. 

I would recommend a student on a budget of about $200-300 look for a refurbished laptop instead,especially the business grade Dell or Lenovo laptops if you want a tough computer for school that you don't have to worry about putting in a backpack. You will have a faster CPU, more I/O ports, better keyboard, and would be able to upgrade the RAM and add an SSD.