Windows 10 May Reserve Another 7GB For Updates.

Uttamattamakin
Go to solution Solved by LAwLz,
7 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Yeah, when hardware was expensive, higher dev costs made more sense. As hardware gets cheaper, high dev costs no longer make sense.

I understand that, but when you are a software company, which is by far the most widely used PC operating system, then maybe you should invest some money into optimizing it.

"It costs money" is to me not a valid excuse for doing a poor job. Again, imagine if Volkswagen used that excuse for poor miles per gallon results compared to their competitors.

"It costs a lot of money to make the engines more efficient".

And yes I understand that Microsoft makes money basically regardless of how well optimized Windows is. I can understand business decisions for how to allocate resources without having to agree with it. What I am saying here is that I wish Microsoft would take better care of Windows than they do.

As a consumer and user of their product, I don't really care how much money they make from something. What I care about is how good the product is. I am not here to argue how Microsoft can create a product I will buy with as little effort as possible. I am here to voice my opinion about how I think Microsoft should make the product better for me. I am not employed by Microsoft so I don't have any obligation to defend them. I am a user so I should express what I want.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-windows-10-to-grab-7gb-of-your-storage-so-big-updates-dont-fail/

In the next major release of Windows 10, Microsoft will reserve 7GB of your device's storage to resolve a Windows 10 bug thrown up by Windows Update not checking whether a PC has enough storage space before launching after big updates

In Windows 10 19H1, or version 1903 when it's released this year, Microsoft is introducing 'reserved storage', which will keep around 7GB of disk space — but possibly more — available purely so that updates can be installed smoothly. 

OK, if I was one of the people who bought one of the inexpensive windows machines with 32GB of Flash storage I would be very angry about this.  This is going to be really annoying.  It is better now that windows 10 more readily supports keeping files in the cloud and downloading them as needed while still keeping them visible in the file structure.  On a machine like that up to now 12-16 of the 32 GB was the OS.  Now 19-23 GB of the storage will be the OS.   Can one even install MS office, the one thing such devices have that chromebook doesn't, in what is left?  About one GB for anything else. 

In my humble opinion this will make the 32GB inexpensive windows computer obsolete.   

Which is very bad for a lot of people.  A lot of students are only able to afford a very cheap computer.  There are some things that just cannot be done on a computer belonging to a school or a library.  There are some things that just cannot be done on a phone.   Why not just give people the option of downloading the updates to a USB then installing it from there?  

Maybe now manufactures will stop making system with 32GB of storage, and put in 64GB instead allowing more storage.

But anyway, from my understanding on this, it can use external storage instead. Meaning, if you insert a microSD card (say), it will use that, instead of your main storage for update. (update: Doesn't look like, but with Storage Sense you can merge that microSD card with your system drive. So you still have 1 drive, but it will be larger.)

4 minutes ago, Rune said:

....why not just check for space before doing the update?

The idea, which Microsoft explains, is to not interrupt what you are doing trying to free space, and ensure you always have free space for programs to run properly (space for temp files, for example), and not crash or shows error messages.

In the blog post from Microsoft:

Our goal is to improve the day-to-day function of your PC by ensuring critical OS functions always have access to disk space. Without reserved storage, if a user almost fills up her or his storage, several Windows and application scenarios become unreliable. Windows and application scenarios may not work as expected if they need free space to function. With reserved storage, updates, apps, temporary files, and caches are less likely to take away from valuable free space and should continue to operate as expected. Reserved storage will be introduced automatically on devices that come with version 1903 pre-installed or those where 1903 was clean installed. You don’t need to set anything up—this process will automatically run in the background.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2019/01/07/windows-10-and-reserved-storage/

If 7gb is a huge amount for you, time for an update!

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The idea, which Microsoft explains, is to not interrupt what you are doing trying to free space.

How about not interrupting us by letting us decide when and what to install? Yeah of course, this seems way more logical. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The idea, which Microsoft explains, is to not interrupt what you are doing trying to free space, and ensure you always have free space for programs to run properly (space for temp files, for example), and not crash or shows error messages.

In the blog post from Microsoft:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2019/01/07/windows-10-and-reserved-storage/

If I only have 5gb of space left I have bigger problems to worry about than Windows Updates.

9 minutes ago, Rune said:

....why not just check for space before doing the update?

cause that would be the normal, smart thing to do

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

How about not interrupting us by letting us decide when and what to install? Yeah of course, this seems way more logical. 

except this is about space....regardless of when it gets done, you still need to have enough space for the update

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

You still need to do a disk clean up to free up space

that is a BIG F-U to people who bought devices with 32gb of storage. yea sure you can put micro SD cards in those to give them more space but I'm not sure if Windows update can use those. to store the updates. 

@GoodBytes do you know that? I know you can install programs on drives other than C but can you store updates there too?

She/Her

Just now, Arika S said:

except this is about space....regardless of when it gets done, you still need to have enough space for the update

It's not about the space, everyone should have 7GB on their windows drive anyway, I can not remember when was the last time that I saw someone not having it, even the non techy users. It's MSs "we do not want to interrupt you" when every so often either an update or some other Windows bs will interrupt you, either a pop up for scalling, 3x compatibility telemetry tasks out of nowhere start slowing your system maniacally unless you block them or something completely different but no, it's the free storage that's the problem and not interrupting you while you update, but god forbid you decide when and what to update so that doesn't interrupt you. 

Am I salty? Absolutely, because MS is still not focusing on important stuff. 

I'm guessing it will adapt to the space the machine has.

It's supposed to be a step towards improving automation, which is good for the type of people who would use 32 GB PCs I think.

Or not, we'll see I guess.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZKsJvn

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo (Red) 66.3 CFM CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory 
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive 
Video Card: Asus 3080 Turbo
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Titanium 750 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  
Monitor: Asus MG278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor 

7 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

that is a BIG F-U to people who bought devices with 32gb of storage. yea sure you can put micro SD cards in those to give them more space but I'm not sure if Windows update can use those. to store the updates. 

@GoodBytes do you know that? I know you can install programs on drives other than C but can you store updates there too?

Currently no. But you can merge a microSD card with your main storage. You can do this via the Storage Sense feature in Windows.

So for example, if you have 32GB eMMC in your system and you add 128GB microSD card, using Storage Sense, you can have your drive appear as a single 160GB drive.

3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

everyone should have 7GB on their windows drive anyway

should, yes, but they dont. people can fill up their drives really fast and the majority of people dont know that you're supposed to leaved x amount free.

It's MSs "we do not want to interrupt you" when every so often either an update or some other Windows bs will interrupt you, either a pop up for scalling, 3x compatibility telemetry tasks out of nowhere start slowing your system maniacally unless you block them or something completely different

i must seriously be the only person that doesn't have these kind of problems the people on this forum complaint about constantly. never have i had windows restart while im in the middle of something, or interrupt anything im doing. maybe that's because i turn my pc off every night. maybe that's the fix for all these problems you keep having?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Arika S said:

maybe that's because i turn my pc off every night. maybe that's the fix for all these problems you keep having?

So much wisdom I am not sure how to react. My laptop is my daily driver, I turn it off multiple times a day. 

Those are fairly big problems and god forbid you don't have an ssd, some things will render it useless for long periods of time. 

Those are not my specific issues, I've seen it dozens of times to know it's a general problem. 

42 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Maybe now manufactures will stop making system with 32GB of storage, and put in 64GB instead allowing more storage.

After upgrading from a 32GB to a 64GB phone I'd like 64GB to be the minimum amount of storage for everything but the cheapest computers, and if you're looking to spend $160 on a laptop anyway then you should be looking at a Chromebook instead.

LOL i laugh at MS decisions! Windows 10 is BG FU to all it's users :D

7 GB is more then my linux installation needs with ALL programs i need to work...

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

28 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

that is a BIG F-U to people who bought devices with 32gb of storage.

I don't know why you'd be buying a Windows 10 device with only 32GB of storage in the first place anyway, but I agree.

Even as a boot SSD, I'd still want 120GB minimum.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

38 minutes ago, Rune said:

If I only have 5gb of space left I have bigger problems to worry about than Windows Updates.

If you have an SSD you're unnecessarily killing it faster. :)

51 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

I know you can install programs on drives other than C but can you store updates there too?

Should be right, just run mklink /J "A" "B"

I've done this with a few Windows files, just need to be careful as a few of them will cause the system to blue screen if the other drive isn't present when the system starts.

The only issue will be if they decide they want to make it hidden\lock it out of the OS.

Well then... That leaves 2gb left on my laptop, that has a 240gb SSD -_- can we have a toggle please? 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Yeah.....I really want that 512GB SSD now

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

So instead of just fixing a bug which should be simple (just find how much free space there is) they just reserve more space on the drive? You used to have to write dates in short format to save on RAM and storage, surely we can optimise at least slightly today... 

That's an F in the profile pic