Old HP FAN on new PC

Guilherme Mafra

Hi guys, I hope someone could help me here.

I got an old HP Proliant ML530 server and I'm building a casemod with it for my new pc.

With it came 4 Fans used originaly on the CPU for the server, those are Nidec Beta V TA500DC.

So, I powered those with an external power suply just conecting the 12V and the Ground (since they are rated to 2.7Amp I wouldn't put it through my MB).

They work fine at max RPM.

But there is where I need a help: I would like to control the speed of these fans, and to do it I`m thinking on using a fan splitter, but the connector in these fans is like a 6 pin PCI-E, so I have no idea what cables connect where.

The connector have this colors (in respective order):
Black (Ground) / Red (12V) / Blue (?)

Orange (?) / Yellow (?) / Green (?)

Someone knows what is each cable? Thanks!

30 minutes ago, Guilherme Mafra said:

Hi guys, I hope someone could help me here.

I got an old HP Proliant ML530 server and I'm building a casemod with it for my new pc.

With it came 4 Fans used originaly on the CPU for the server, those are Nidec Beta V TA500DC.

So, I powered those with an external power suply just conecting the 12V and the Ground (since they are rated to 2.7Amp I wouldn't put it through my MB).

They work fine at max RPM.

But there is where I need a help: I would like to control the speed of these fans, and to do it I`m thinking on using a fan splitter, but the connector in these fans is like a 6 pin PCI-E, so I have no idea what cables connect where.

The connector have this colors (in respective order):
Black (Ground) / Red (12V) / Blue (?)

Orange (?) / Yellow (?) / Green (?)

Someone knows what is each cable? Thanks!

Those are custom for the server, and include (IIRC) microelectronics to control fan speed from the BIOS (I think) so they are non-standard as are most things in servers.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Focus on the + and - cables and forget about the rest, get a DC controller 

you can also cut the extra wires and solder the remaining two to a molex male connector

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB