Will this SSD Work properly in my Motherboard

GabrielFerrazTPU
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

Are you using this drive for boot?

Id just get a pcie to m.2 adapter and put it in a pcie slot. That way you can get the full speed as the ssd will work over the cpu pcie lanes instead of going over the chipset with pcie2 and only 2 lanes.

This adapter will work fine and is pretty cheap https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAC5C89G2624&Description=pcie to m.2&cm_re=pcie_to_m.2-_-15-124-167-_-Product

Hey guys, it's me again.

I'm using right now a X99 Gaming G1 Wifi motherboard with a 6950X overclock, and a Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD, but i wanted to buy a M.2 SSD, i understand the use for these types of SSD, the loading times of games for example doesn't really change, but i still want it. I want the best performance.

The problem is this, my motherboard has an M.2 slot as you can see here: 

1. 1 x M.2 PCIe connector
    (Socket 3, M key, type 2260/2280 SATA & PCIe x2/x1 SSD support)

But according to it's manual the M.2 has a "top speed" of 10Gbit/s (a Byte is 8 bits so its about 1250MB/s top speed right?), as you can see here:

4171.png

And the model that i was aiming for is the Samsung MZ-V6P2T0BW, an M2. 2280 2TB SSD with Max Sequential Read Up to 3500 MBps and Max Sequential Write Up to 2100 MBps. And by my calculation if you convert for exemplo theses 3500MB into Megabits its about 28Gbit/s(8x3500MB/s) right. So i migh bottleneck?

If i get this SSD it will bottleneck and i wont get the maximus speed of these SSD's?

"Once there was an explosion, a bang that gave birth to time and space. Once there was an explosion, a bang that set a planet spinning in that space. Once there was an explosion, a bang that gave rise to life as we know it... And then came the next explosion. An explosion that will be our last"

"... To see the world in a grain of sand. Heaven in a wild flower

Hold infinite in the palm of your hand.  And eternity in an hour ..."

PC: 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 4.3GHz 1.3875v Motherboard: AsRock X470 Taichi (BIOS: Agesa 1.0.0.3 ABB) RAM: 4x8GB(32) 3200MHzCL16 Hyper X GPU: GTX 980 Ti Waterforce Xtreme Core Clock: 1595MHz Memory Clock: 8000MHz Storage: SAMSUNG EVO 860 2TB(OS) / SAMSUNG EVO 860 1TB(Backup) Cooler: NZXT Hydro X72 360mm Case: NZXT Phantom 820 PSU: Corsair TX-750w Display Monitor: Monitor AOC AG251FG 240Hz G-Sync 1080p Headset: Headset LogiTech G633 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Version: 1909 / OS Build: )

NOTEBOOK:

Model: Acer Aspire 5516 CPU: AMD TF-20 1.6GHz(1C/1T) GPU: ATI Radeon X1200(256MB) RAM: 4GB(2x2GB) 666MHz HD: SSD Sandisk PLUS 240GB OS: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

Id just get a pcie to m.2 adapter and put it in a pcie slot. That way you can get the full speed as the ssd will work over the cpu pcie lanes instead of going over the chipset with pcie2 and only 2 lanes.

This adapter will work fine and is pretty cheap https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAC5C89G2624&Description=pcie to m.2&cm_re=pcie_to_m.2-_-15-124-167-_-Product

Yep that Samsung drive will be bottlenecked. I agree with @Electronics Wizardy that the best performance can be had by going with an add-in card as you can leverage PCIe 3.0 that way. Otherwise, get a cheaper NVMe drive, like a WD Black, Intel 600p/760p or similar.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yes i'd be using this 2TB drive for boot and lefting my 1TB drive for backup, movies and games.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I though these adapters would only come with a few motherboard like thoses ROG ASUS models.

But let's say for an instance, that it doesn't work, what should i do, i would try updating the BIOS to see if works but lets say it didn't.

5 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Yep that Samsung drive will be bottlenecked. I agree with @Electronics Wizardy that the best performance can be had by going with an add-in card as you can leverage PCIe 3.0 that way. Otherwise, get a cheaper NVMe drive, like a WD Black, Intel 600p/760p or similar.

That was my fear about the bottleneck

Honestly i'd rather pay more for Samsung or even a Hyper X model than a WD entry level.

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

yep, but you probebly don't even notice it in daily workloads, as the difference between sata and NVME is only about a second or two. if you really want full speed, the best suggestion is to do what @Electronics Wizardy said. Or just get a sata ssd...

Thanks, and what about RAID 0? Do you think it's worth? 

PS: I know about the beneffits and de disadvantagens

"Once there was an explosion, a bang that gave birth to time and space. Once there was an explosion, a bang that set a planet spinning in that space. Once there was an explosion, a bang that gave rise to life as we know it... And then came the next explosion. An explosion that will be our last"

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 4.3GHz 1.3875v Motherboard: AsRock X470 Taichi (BIOS: Agesa 1.0.0.3 ABB) RAM: 4x8GB(32) 3200MHzCL16 Hyper X GPU: GTX 980 Ti Waterforce Xtreme Core Clock: 1595MHz Memory Clock: 8000MHz Storage: SAMSUNG EVO 860 2TB(OS) / SAMSUNG EVO 860 1TB(Backup) Cooler: NZXT Hydro X72 360mm Case: NZXT Phantom 820 PSU: Corsair TX-750w Display Monitor: Monitor AOC AG251FG 240Hz G-Sync 1080p Headset: Headset LogiTech G633 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Version: 1909 / OS Build: )

NOTEBOOK:

Model: Acer Aspire 5516 CPU: AMD TF-20 1.6GHz(1C/1T) GPU: ATI Radeon X1200(256MB) RAM: 4GB(2x2GB) 666MHz HD: SSD Sandisk PLUS 240GB OS: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

The 10 Gb/s speed represents a PCIe 2.0 x2 connection. That uses 8b/10b encoding, so the theoretical usable bandwidth is only 8 Gb/s = 1 GB/s. Fast NVMe SSDs routinely break 2 GB/s in sequential transfers, so they definitely get bottlenecked by your slot.

However, transfer speeds are much lower for random access to smaller files, and those kinds of use are more common and more noticeable to the user. So the bottlenecking may not really affect the user experience much.

1 minute ago, GabrielLP14 said:

Problem with raid is your can't boot from it here(easily)

I though these adapters would only come with a few motherboard like thoses ROG ASUS models.

But let's say for an instance, that it doesn't work, what should i do, i would try updating the BIOS to see if works but lets say it didn't.

I editied my comment above with a link to a adapter. It Should be bootable, but otherwise boot from your 1tb and put games on the new 2tb pcie drive. The speed difference won't matter anyways. If you want the fastest possible get a optane drive.

3 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

The 10 Gb/s speed represents a PCIe 2.0 x2 connection. That uses 8b/10b encoding, so the theoretical usable bandwidth is only 8 Gb/s = 1 GB/s. Fast NVMe SSDs routinely break 2 GB/s in sequential transfers, so they definitely get bottlenecked by your slot.

However, transfer speeds are much lower for random access to smaller files, and those kinds of use are more common and more noticeable to the user. So the bottlenecking may not really affect the user experience much.

Yeah i knew about that, and what about the latency. Does it have a great diference to an SSD SATA?

NOTEBOOK:

Yeah i knew about that, and what about the latency. Does it have a great diference to an SSD SATA?

Its a bit better but your still limited by nand, but what are you doing that the latency matters? If you need super low latency get optane.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I editied my comment above with a link to a adapter. It Should be bootable, but otherwise boot from your 1tb and put games on the new 2tb pcie drive. The speed difference won't matter anyways. If you want the fastest possible get a optane drive.

i wont spent any money buying a optane module, if i had a HD ok, thats an option if you dont want an SSD and want to spend money.

You mean because the RAID mode must be enable in the BIOS otherwise it wont be recognized?

NOTEBOOK:

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Its a bit better but your still limited by nand, but what are you doing that the latency matters? If you need super low latency get optane.

It was just a curiosity, it doesn't matter to me.

NOTEBOOK:

i wont spent any money buying a optane module, if i had a HD ok, thats an option if you dont want an SSD and want to spend money. 

Optane drives are just normal nvme ssds. You can use them like any other drive. You don't need to cache a hdd with them.

2 minutes ago, GabrielLP14 said:

You mean because the RAID mode must be enable in the BIOS otherwise it wont be recognized?

THe raid mode is your bios is for sata only. If you want to do raid of pcie drives, you need a newer board or software raid(not supported in windows for boot drives(easily)

8 minutes ago, GabrielLP14 said:

for the value I would just get a single one on each channel. you can still get multiple ssd's, but you use them for different tasks. let's say a smaller one for your os and a bigger one for games for example.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Optane drives are just normal nvme ssds. You can use them like any other drive. You don't need to cache a hdd with them.

They're basically cache memory...

THe raid mode is your bios is for sata only. If you want to do raid of pcie drives, you need a newer board or software raid(not supported in windows for boot drives(easily)

I mentioned RAID as SATA, and also M.2 Raid would be bottleneck either even with a newer motherboard, because of the limitation of the M.2 slot itselft

NOTEBOOK:

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

for the value I would just get a single one on each channel. you can still get multiple ssd's, but you use them for different tasks. let's say a smaller one for your os and a bigger one for games for example.

Thanks but instead of having a lot of SSD's i'd rather have only 2, one for backup and one for OS with games in it.

NOTEBOOK:

Just now, GabrielLP14 said:

They're basically cache memory...

I mentioned RAID as SATA, and also M.2 Raid would be bottleneck either even with a newer motherboard, because of the limitation of the M.2 slot itselft

Optane drives are nvme drives and will work like any otther drives. There aren't cache drives, all the caching is done in software. They have much lower latency and write endurance and are much faster for many uses than a nand ssd, probably way overkill here, but they would be faster.

How would the m.2 slot be a limit for nvme raid? You can use multiple slots and raid those slots together.

Really, get a sata ssd, fast enough and you won't notice the speed difference.

Thanks but instead of having a lot of SSD's i'd rather have only 2, one for backup and one for OS with games in it.

well, for backups I wouldn't even recommend a ssd, just 2 hdds in raid (not 0 of course...)

Well, the choise is yours then I guess...

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, for backups I wouldn't even recommend a ssd, just 2 hdds in raid (not 0 of course...)

Well, the choise is yours then I guess...

Since i already have an 1TB SSD why would i buy an HD?

I understand your point but, i have this one already

NOTEBOOK:

2 minutes ago, GabrielLP14 said:

Since i already have an 1TB SSD why would i buy an HD?

I understand your point but, i have this one already

then I just wouldn't get another one...

but that's my opinion, they may vary

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

then I just wouldn't get another one...

but that's my opinion, they may vary

Why wouldn't you get another one?

NOTEBOOK:

Just now, GabrielLP14 said:

Why wouldn't you get another one?

because ssd's aren't meant for backing up. as simple as that

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Man, my SSD have TBW of 2400TB or data....

NOTEBOOK:

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I have around 450GB used in this SSD.

But i usuallly download a lot of TV Series and movies.

NOTEBOOK:

2 hours ago, GabrielLP14 said:

Man, my SSD have TBW of 2400TB or data....

but for backups ssd are much more expensive with basically no benfit, and ssds may die sooner with no power. If your just storing backups just get hdds.

31 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

but for backups ssd are much more expensive with basically no benfit, and ssds may die sooner with no power. If your just storing backups just get hdds.

The problem of HD is the Slow readings and writes.

Which HD would you recommend? If it's not much expensive i'll get both

NOTEBOOK: