DIY table fan

SmilesRising

Hi! im trying to make a diy table fan out of my pc fan, i figured i could use an old charger to power the fan. the fan is a corsair ml 140mm fan. it should work just by connecting the 2 fan wires to the 2 on the charger right? these are the chargers i've got:

49829571_782807632059868_6405113333006991360_n.jpg

49639309_773195439733887_836451250332499968_n.jpg

Watches and computers                    

1 minute ago, Phaytuh said:

Well, they are both use 12 volts so that is good. Do note that the output of charger in the second photo is only rated at 60 milliamps and the ml 140 fan is rated for 202 mA. The charger in the first photo has a 1 amp rating which is enough. I haven't done this myself but as long as you get the positive and negative wires right it should work.

yeah i tried both chargers but the fan wont spin.. it will try to start up but fail.. works sometimes when i push it to get it started but otherwise it stands still... why?

Watches and computers                    

Just now, Phaytuh said:

Hmm, I'm surprised the first one didn't work. Do you have a way to check the voltage coming from the chargers, it may be that it is actually less than 12 volts and if it is too low it wont be able to get the fan started.

i can't check the voltage no.. but the thing is that using the 60mA charger i could use the fan with no issues just a couple of months earlier. 

Watches and computers                    

Just now, Phaytuh said:

It could be that you might of worn out the charger from drawing more power than it was rated for. Just to double check, the fan still works if you were to plug it into your computer, yes?

i can't really check that, i stripped the fan wire..

Watches and computers                    

1 minute ago, Phaytuh said:

Oh, well then I guess that wouldn't work. Well, without the ability to verify the voltage of the charger or confirm that the fan works then you may be out of luck.

i took another fan to test and the same thing happens... no spinning with any of the chargers

Watches and computers                    

Just now, Phaytuh said:

Well then its not the fans fault its the chargers fault. I don't think you'll be able to get it working with the two chargers that you have but if you find a third one that would best your best option.

it's just weird that the 60mA charger worked fine earlier and the second one has never been used for this. shitty luck i guess ?

Watches and computers                    

4 minutes ago, Phaytuh said:

Well then its not the fans fault its the chargers fault. I don't think you'll be able to get it working with the two chargers that you have but if you find a third one that would best your best option.

UPDATE: changed the outlet and the fan started spinning. its not spinning 100% of the speed but its spinning

Watches and computers                    

Just now, Phaytuh said:

That's weird. But at least it works! I probably wouldn't have thought of that.

i have no clue on why it is like that but ah well it works ? just weird that it wont go 100%

Watches and computers