Choosing the right NAS

shinigamidaiko

Hello everyone, i hope you can give me your opinions on this matter. I'm planning to buy a NAS for the first time and i think about purchasing the ZyXEL NSA310. Here's what i need the NAS to do

-Stream HD videos to my Laptop (windows 7 64 bit), my Nexus 7 tablet and to the WD TV Live (which i'm gonna buy too in the near future)

Please note that most of the videos have rates between 10 to 20 Mbps and some are Blu-Ray m2ts files with 40-50 mbps rate

-Stream lossy music files (MP3 320K and 256 AAC) to the above mentioned devices.

-Download Torrent files in an autonomous manner (without using the laptop)

-Saving files from the two USB drives attached to my desktop

Do you think that the Zyxel NSA 310 is a good device for this kind of usage? Or should i aim higher (Synology 212j for example ?)

i have the Synology DS212j and i think you would get a better experience from it than a Zyxel

@LimeDk Thank you for your answer. And since you have a DS212j, i have a couple of questions : i heard that you can install "Transmission" on the Synology, is it an easy installation? And can you please tell me for how long have you owned the DS212j, because i would like to know its durability :)

• 2 weeks later...

hi all like shingamidaiko

I am soon going to be looking at a nas soon

i was wondering how much does ram matter in a NAS system?

I will mostly looking at streaming video's and maybe music over it and using it to back up uni and work documents

i was most likly going go for 4tb of space but i am usure if i need a 4 bay or a 2 bay will be ok

I will most likly look at using WD red's since there made for the job

any help would be great

Its all about those volumetric clouds