NVIDIA finally officially supports Adaptive Sync (with a small catch)

D13H4RD

it's gonna by like a lottery ticket. We can sub the results here :D

i7-8086K, Strix Z370E-Gaming, G.Skill Trident 32gb 3000MHZ CL 14, Strix 1080 Ti OC, Corsair HX1000i, Obsidian 1000D, Corsair Hydro X custom loop, 13x Corsair LL120, Corsair Lighting Node Pro, 2x SSD Adata SU800 3DNand - 1tb and 128gb, 1Tb WD Blue, Cable Mod Full Cable Kit, Monitor Asus XG27VQ 144Mhz Curved

Hell has frozen over. Second time recently that Nvidia adopts the open approach (first being open sourcing the otherwise dead PhysX).

Despite the guaranteed quality, the price for using a FPGA was idiotic. 

Freesync is a superset of Adaptive Sync. It's basically the same but with added certification for stuff like LFC, HDR and all that jazz.

1 hour ago, S w a t s o n said:
  Hide contents

1a332akwxx821.png

Hide contents

Also I stole this me- I mean, I made this

What's even funnier is that AMD did not make FreeSync. It's a VESA standard they repurposed and branded, after Nvidia had already released G-Sync.

30 minutes ago, Derangel said:

If my memory is accurate, I believe first gen G-sync modules cost monitor OEMs something like $150-$200 per module. I'd imagine that cost went up with versions 2 and 3. 

Yes but that makes the assumption that implementing FreeSync is free, which it isn't.

The scalars that support variable refresh rate are not free, the hardware for frame duplication is not free, and the strobing backlight is not free either.

If you compare the worst and cheapest possible implementation of FreeSync to G-Sync then yes it will be very cheap to implement, but if you want to make a Freesync monitor with feature parity to a G-Sync monitor then it will cost a bit. Maybe not 200 dollars, but the difference between G-Sync and FreeSync won't be as big as the cost of the G-Sync module.

What I'm trying to say is that the bill of materials (BOM) might look like this (numbers completely made up just to illustrate a point).

Normal monitor - 150 dollar BOM.

Cheapest and simplest FreeSync monitor - 160 dollar BOM.

G-Sync monitor - 350 dollar BOM.

FreeSync monitor with the same features as a G-Sync monitor - 270 dollar BOM

So even if the G-Sync module costs 200 dollars, the difference is 80 dollars.

37 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Freesync 2 has low framerate compensation unlike freesync 1.

Gsync was better than Freesync, but Freesync 2 has brought them to parity.

Afaik at least, please correct me if im wrong

But from what I know, it was not impossible to implement low frame rate compensation with Freesync 1.

I am mostly guessing here, but I think AMD just added the low frame rate compensation as a requirement to the FreeSync 2 classification, without making any changes to the Adaptive-Sync standard.

You have to separate the technical standards and protocols from what requirements AMD says you need to have to be classified as FreeSync 1 or 2.

I'm just talking about the protocols here. AMD could say all FreeSync 2 monitors needed to be in red and ship with a "Freesync" sticker in the box, but that would not be a technical limitation, just a requirement AMD imposes to call it FreeSync 2.

One thing curious 

Certain FreeSync monitors support adaptive sync over HDMI while G-SYNC only works over DP. 

Wonder what's the case for this one. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Hey, Nvidia making an announcement of a feature worth using for once

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

38 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

What's even funnier is that AMD did not make FreeSync. It's a VESA standard they repurposed and branded, after Nvidia had already released G-Sync.

And made very little money from in a time when R+D cash was rare, revenue was down, products were at best rebranded 3 year old tech barely holding their ground and most economists had them pinned for going bankrupt.   It's really hard to see the logic in AMD decisions and easy to see why they have been playing catch up for the better part of 9 years now. 

Thank fuck they had a win with ryzen, because that may well have been the end of them.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

21 minutes ago, mr moose said:

And made very little money from in a time when R+D cash was rare, revenue was down, products were at best rebranded 3 year old tech barely holding their ground and most economists had them pinned for going bankrupt. 

Are these claims based on facts and real articles because this is rather informative(i mean about revenue and bankruptcy).

P.S. I also think they had a win with 470/480/570/580 mostly because of miners.

3 hours ago, Ja50n said:

Their implementation was far more expensive and no better in quality than a comparable FreeSync panel.

Technically, G-SYNC is superior. 

But is it like $200 superior? I reckon a lot of people would say no unless you can afford the premium and have an NVIDIA GPU. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

5 hours ago, mr moose said:

Nvidia have essentially bought the competition back to raw horsepower and RT  whilst making their money out of Gsync and investing nothing in freesync.

tell that to the people who bought a G sync monitor last week... it's horrible...

12 minutes ago, Adramalech said:

tell that to the people who bought a G sync monitor last week... it's horrible...

Unfortunate for them, sure, but overall good for consumers.

Someone will always be hurt by any change to any product stack in any division.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

16 minutes ago, Adramalech said:

Honestly I have 2 gsync monitors and I don't really mind that I could have gotten a freesync instead. Although I got my 240hz gsync for 400 vs the freesync was 330 so it wasn't that big of a difference and I though mine looked a bit nicer. My other monitor doesn't have a freesync counterpart so can't really get mad until they come out with a freesync version of similar quality. 

2 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Someone will always be hurt by any change to any product stack in any division.

I don't even think it's unfortunate for them. It's not like the products they own got worse in any way. Depending on which monitors they bought they might not have gained any alternatives either. Not all FreeSync and G-Sync monitors are the same.

Also, in EU we have a mandatory minimum 14 day return policy. If you have bought something then you are legally allowed to return it for a full refund as long as it happens within 14 days. The law also states that the return can be made for any reason, and without justification.

Spoiler

14 day cooling off period

In the EU you have the right to return purchases made online or through other types of distance selling, such as by phone, mail order or from a door-to-door salesperson, within 14 days for a full refund. You can do so for any reason – even if you simply changed your mind.

The 14-day cooling off period does not apply to all purchases. Some of the exemptions are:

• plane and train tickets, as well as concert tickets, hotel bookings, car rental reservations and catering services for specific dates
  • goods and drinks delivered to you by regular delivery – for example delivery by a milkman
  • goods made to order or clearly personalised – such as a tailor-made suit
  • sealed audio, video or computer software, such as DVDs, which you have unsealed upon receipt
  • online digital content, if you have already started downloading or streaming it and you agreed that you would lose your right of withdrawal by starting the performance
  • goods bought from a private individual rather than a company
  • urgent repairs and maintenance contracts – if you call a plumber to repair a leaking shower, you can't cancel the work once you have agreed on the price of the service

Please note that this list is not exhaustive.

The cooling off period expires 14 days after the day you received your goods. For service contracts, the cooling off period expires 14 days after the day you concluded the contract. If the cooling off period expires on a non-working day, your deadline is extended till the next working day.

13 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

well that's true...but what about me?!

now i'll have to point and laugh... ridicule and mock... on the floor laughing  out the phrase " you shoulda listened 300 bucks down the drain, FOR WHAT?"

posting pictures on instagram of your LG - 32GK850G-B with titles like "fml" or "why god why?" and the popular "but..."

seems like a lot of work...

*sigh* oh well, one foot in front of the other

3 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

One thing curious 

Certain FreeSync monitors support adaptive sync over HDMI while G-SYNC only works over DP. 

Wonder what's the case for this one. 

Sadly I'll probably never find out with my current monitor, the VG248QE's DP port is dead :( 

I hope the MG279Q is supported. Difference between MG278Q is IPS rather than TN. And at $510 right now its the cheapest non-no-name brand I can find. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/c298TW/asus-monitor-mg279q

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

I hope the MG279Q is supported. Difference between MG278Q is IPS rather than TN. And at $510 right now its the cheapest non-no-name brand I can find. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/c298TW/asus-monitor-mg279q

Can't hurt to try once the drivers are released 

Just now, D13H4RD said:

Can't hurt to try once the drivers are released 

First lemme go get $500 ?

If it does work though it could be a game changer in the long run. 

R7 3700 (wait for benchmarks)

1080ti

FreeSync Monitor

What a world we (could) live in...

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

R7 3700 (wait for benchmarks)

1080ti

FreeSync Monitor

What a world we (could) live in...

Now you're speaking my language :)

And unfortunately only 10 series and 20 series cards are supported. I was excited since I have a freesync panel and a 970 until I found that out. Feelsbad

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Nvidia is crashing AMD’s FreeSync party

As if AMD had anything to lose from this... they offered it to nvidia since day one.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Amazing.

Basically we get a sticker on FreeSync monitors that will let us know if the thing is good, or crap.

Was crazy hard to find a good FreeSync monitor in the sea of craptastic ones.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I don't even think it's unfortunate for them. It's not like the products they own got worse in any way. Depending on which monitors they bought they might not have gained any alternatives either. Not all FreeSync and G-Sync monitors are the same.

Also, in EU we have a mandatory minimum 14 day return policy. If you have bought something then you are legally allowed to return it for a full refund as long as it happens within 14 days. The law also states that the return can be made for any reason, and without justification.

Reveal hidden contents

14 day cooling off period

In the EU you have the right to return purchases made online or through other types of distance selling, such as by phone, mail order or from a door-to-door salesperson, within 14 days for a full refund. You can do so for any reason – even if you simply changed your mind.

The 14-day cooling off period does not apply to all purchases. Some of the exemptions are:

• plane and train tickets, as well as concert tickets, hotel bookings, car rental reservations and catering services for specific dates
  • goods and drinks delivered to you by regular delivery – for example delivery by a milkman
  • goods made to order or clearly personalised – such as a tailor-made suit
  • sealed audio, video or computer software, such as DVDs, which you have unsealed upon receipt
  • online digital content, if you have already started downloading or streaming it and you agreed that you would lose your right of withdrawal by starting the performance
  • goods bought from a private individual rather than a company
  • urgent repairs and maintenance contracts – if you call a plumber to repair a leaking shower, you can't cancel the work once you have agreed on the price of the service

Please note that this list is not exhaustive.

The cooling off period expires 14 days after the day you received your goods. For service contracts, the cooling off period expires 14 days after the day you concluded the contract. If the cooling off period expires on a non-working day, your deadline is extended till the next working day.

I'm not taking "week" literally, but rather the general idea of a recent purchase. And yes, they still got what they paid for and at a price that they were willing to pay and agreed to pay -- so there's nothing wrong there and they certainly didn't get cheated as they got exactly what they paid for. But I'd still can it unfortuante (by definition) if someone bought something and then only a short time later would they be able to buy something comparable enough for their use case for less.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

7 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

What's the main differences between VESA A-Sync and AMD FreeSync? 

Just wondering 

7 hours ago, porina said:

The name? Without digging I don't know either, but there was also FreeSync 2 with I think HDR support. Was that also standards based or an AMD extension to the VESA standard? Without looking it up, it is common for standards to have mandatory and optional parts, so maybe that's just a feature extension?

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

From what I know, Freesync is just a marketing name AMD came up with for adaptive sync.

Be careful when looking at like that though. A lot of times when people compare prices between G-Sync and FreeSync monitors they forget things like all G-Sync monitors supporting strobing backlight, while only some FreeSync monitors supporting it (because it's something that has to be added separately).

It would be interesting to know what the actual price difference between G-Sync and FreeSync would be, if both monitors were otherwise identical. Not sure if anyone makes that though.

I haven't done that much digging, but from what I understand Adaptive-Sync works independently of the color information being transmitted. If that's the case then Adaptive-Sync supports any past and future color standards, and FreeSync 2 is just a marketing name for a monitor which supports HDR as well as FreeSync. The actual FreeSync part of FreeSync 2 most likely works exactly the same as before.

https://www.sweclockers.com/artikel/18798-intervju-amd-om-dynamiska-frekvenser-med-project-freesync/2#pagehead

"

Could you please explain the difference between AMD FreeSync and VESA Adaptive-Sync?

– VESA DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync is a new component of the DisplayPort 1.2a specification that allows a graphics card to control the refresh rate of a display over a DisplayPort link. As it seems there is some confusion, I want to emphasize that DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync is not FreeSync. By itself, DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync is a building block that provides a standard framework a source device, e.g. a graphics card, can depend on to execute dynamic refresh rates.

DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync is an important development in our industry, however, because there now exists an industry-standard framework that dynamic refresh rate technologies, like Project FreeSync, can rely on to deliver end-user benefits: no tearing, minimal input latency, smooth framerates, etc. Make no mistake, providing dynamic refresh rates to users still takes a lot of ‘secret sauce’ from the hardware and software ends of our products, including the correct display controllers in the hardware and the right algorithms in AMD Catalyst.

"

Also

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/free-sync-faq

https://vesa.org/featured-articles/vesa-adds-adaptive-sync-to-popular-displayport-video-standard/

Basically adaptivesync is the free open standard owned by VESA which allows a display to have variable refresh rate.

Freesync is just the AMD implementation of hardware/software adaptivesync compatibility with their GPUs.

What nvidia is doing is making their own version of 'freesync', a software+hardware compatibility layer, which uses adaptivesync which is free.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

From what I've heard, FreeSync is built on top of VESA A-Sync.

Might not be exactly the same, but it does seem to use that sort of framework.

Which also helps explain why NVIDIA is also able to have it work on FreeSync monitors.

8 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

automatically turn on GSync support for those monitors in its GeForce software.

So if you are not on the approved list you can manually turn it on?  I hope so.  If not i don't understand why they would exclude anyone, just don't officially support the cheaper monitors.