Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VegetableStu

Megathread: a noncomprehensive list of CES 2019

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Nup said:

Do you guys know if noctua has a booth this year? 

Nice thread vegetableStu, fair play for keepiinh it up to date. 

thanks ,_, couldn't find Noctua in the results of the exhibitors search though

@VegetableStu You've either got your date or time till on the AMD keynote wrong. 9am wednesday NV time would be 1 day and 2.5 hours from now. So either the keynote is on tuesday the 8th or your due time is off by 24 hours.

19 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

@VegetableStu You've either got your date or time till on the AMD keynote wrong. 9am wednesday NV time would be 1 day and 2.5 hours from now. So either the keynote is on tuesday the 8th or your due time is off by 24 hours.

oh god dammit I'll check my maths again (AMD Keynote is definitely Wednesday Jan 9, 0900. I copied off the CES schedule site https://www.ces.tech/conference/Keynotes/AMD-Keynote.aspx)

it should be tuesday the 8th about 0633 at Nevada now...

For the record: the very first edit I flipped the 6 on 6th Jan on day 0 Sunday, and apparently ran with it for the Day 1 update. I'm more angry than confused right now ,_,

6 minutes ago, Gullerback said:

whats the point of refreshing the 9x series without intel graphics? I'm confused.  Theres no other benefits or changes.

Because money. 

I'm in awe of that THICC Dominus Extreme mobo. Absolute unit.

Looking forward to the AMD keynote.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

6 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

oh god dammit I'll check my maths again (AMD Keynote is definitely Jan 9, 0900. I copied off the CES schedule site https://www.ces.tech/conference/Keynotes/AMD-Keynote.aspx)

it should be tuesday the 8th about 0633 at Nevada now...

For the record: the first edit I flipped the 6 on 6th Jan on day 0 Sunday, and apparently ran with it for the Day 1 update. I'm more angry than confused right now ,_,

If you  hadn't included the convershion note in the OP i probably wouldn't have spotted it, i suck at time zones too.

The razer laptop with OLED screen is the dumbest thing I've seen in a while.

No wonder they have a static image locked on the screen on the prototype.

That way nobody sees the burn in.

Linus: "...figure out the burn in issues..."

No there is nothing to "figure out" about this topic.

It literally burns in because it's oled.

The solution to burn in is to not use oled.

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | AMD Vega 64 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

14 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The razer laptop with OLED screen is the dumbest thing I've seen in a while.

No wonder they have a static image locked on the screen on the prototype.

That way nobody sees the burn in.

Linus: "...figure out the burn in issues..."

No there is nothing to "figure out" about this topic.

It literally burns in because it's oled.

The solution to burn in is to not use oled.

Well, yes, but it does take a longer time for newer OLEDs to burn in than OLEDs from 5 years ago, but they still do.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

9 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Well, yes, but it does take a longer time for newer OLEDs to burn in than OLEDs from 5 years ago, but they still do.

It's a computer.

Anyone using it for more than watching full screen videos or movies is going to get burn in.

"longer time" is irrelevant if you want your multi-thousand dollar investment to last more than a few months.

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | AMD Vega 64 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It's a computer.

Anyone using it for more than watching full screen videos or movies is going to get burn in.

"longer time" is irrelevant if you want your multi-thousand dollar investment to last more than a few months.

Then you'd have to really be trying to cause burn in on a newer OLED display. All you need to do to make sure the image won't burn in if you're working with a lot of static images is set the taskbar to hide and don't leave windows in the same exact same spot.

32 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It's a computer.

Ofc. I wouldn't have OLED on computer monitor just yet, but on TVs (exept for price) burn in is a non issue. Colour shift over years is a bigger issue.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

20 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Then you'd have to really be trying to cause burn in on a newer OLED display. All you need to do to make sure the image won't burn in if you're working with a lot of static images is set the taskbar to hide and don't leave windows in the same exact same spot.

No.

You just need to be using the computer normally for it to burn in.

As in having a static taskbar (like literally everyone has) and programs all have static UI.

Everything from your web browser to microsoft word to a regular game has items that do not change.

You think having an auto-hide taskbar and running your programs in windowed mode while dragging them around the screen every hour is "using the computer normally" ??

I don't think you realize how many things have static UI elements....

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Ofc. I wouldn't have OLED on computer monitor just yet, but on TVs (exept for price) burn in is a non issue. Colour shift over years is a bigger issue.

That's because people watch TV on tvs, not their computer on TVs.

TV has constantly moving images on the whole screen.

The exception is when a tv channel has a static logo in one of the corners.

If you watch a channel that has that for several hours a day it DOES burn in.

Spoiler

The AMD keynote starts in how many hours? I live in another timezone.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.2Ghz          Case: Antec P8     PSU: G.Storm GS850                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition @ 2Ghz

Day 2 Updates - 2019.01.08

mmm I'll be leaving in a few videos that "had CES carted to them instead" ?

Techlinked was just posted. It looks like they are a day behind (which I can understand)

Personal Rig:

CPU: i7-7700K  | Mobo: MSI C236A Workstation | RAM: 2x G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB = 16 GB  | GPU: ASUS GTX 1070 Strix | Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 256 GB, WD Blue 1 TB, WD Red 2 TB, and WD Scorpio Blue 320 GB | Case: Enermax Ostrog Black and White | PSU: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze | Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S in Push/Pull with Black Noctua Industrial Fans, 2 120mm Noctua Chromax Fans, and Corsair AF120 on the side panel | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 34" LG 43WL500-B 2560 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Mouse: Logitech M705 | Keyboard: Logitech K350 | Random: 90mm of CableMod RGB Magnetic Strips | OS: Win 10 Education x64 

32" Samsung CF397 1920 x 1080

Linux/test Box:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600  | Mobo: ASRock AB350M mATX | RAM: 2x Crucial 8 GB DDR4 = 16 GB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Storage: Sandisk SSD Plus 120 GB, Kingston 256GB SSD, 2x Seagate IronWolf NAS Drives  | Case: Corsair Carbide 88R mATX | PSU: Corsair CX500 | Cooling: Stock Cooler and 3x Cooler Master 120mm Fans | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 34" LG 43WL500-B 2560 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Keyboard: Logitech K270 | Mouse: Logitech M185  | OS: Ubuntu 18.04 and Windows 10 Pro x64

Laptop (Acer Pedator Helios 300):

CPU: i7-7700HQ  | RAM: 16 GB DDR4  | GPU: GTX 1060 6 GB | Storage: 256 GB SSD and Seagate 1 TB Firecuda | Display: Acer IPS 15.6" 1920 x 1080 Display | Mouse: Logitech M557 and built-in trackpad (never use lol) | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

Other Devices I use:

Phone: iPhone 7 128GB Jet Black  | Tablet: iPad Mini 4 128GB LTE and a Surface Go 128GB with 8GB of RAM | Media Box: Apple TV 64GB | Amazon Echo Spot | TV: Some 42" JVC 1080p (this has a good image 6 years later) | Backpack: Some SwissGear Laptop Bag | Camera: GoPro Hero 5 with a Rode Mic | Zoom H1n | Blue Snowball |

5 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

So it's a motherboard header to USB port?

yeah it's chiefly for cases that only has the USB3 Gen 2 header plug ("19-pin") to adapt to motherboards that only has a Gen 1 ("20-pin") header socket

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

yeah it's chiefly for cases that only has the USB3 Gen 2 header plug ("19-pin") to adapt to motherboards that only has a Gen 1 ("20-pin") header socket

Ah, okay. I was confused why it was a "Mobile accessories" listing. Not something you'd normally use in a laptop.