Curious, Opinions wanted, Worth investing into or wait?

I know I am late to the party, I had friends who pushed Star Citizen for ages before it was in alpha/beta and they prepurchased into it. I've lost contact with them and am now curious about the state of the game. Is it worth getting into or should I continue waiting until it gets further along in development. I missed starting in E.V.E. Online back when it was new (and I just kept putting it off and putting it off) and am finding myself longing for a game like this. The one big put off I had was the P2W aspect of the game.

Are there any alternatives worth playing today in the meantime?

1 hour ago, Dark Zenith said:

I know I am late to the party, I had friends who pushed Star Citizen for ages before it was in alpha/beta and they prepurchased into it. I've lost contact with them and am now curious about the state of the game. Is it worth getting into or should I continue waiting until it gets further along in development. I missed starting in E.V.E. Online back when it was new (and I just kept putting it off and putting it off) and am finding myself longing for a game like this. The one big put off I had was the P2W aspect of the game.

Are there any alternatives worth playing today in the meantime?

It's currently in an Ok-ish state. Things are mesed up and it lacks content but with some friends you can find some fun in there for a couple of hours. Since you can buy ships ingame now it's a bit less P2W but grinding these is not an option if you want to stay a functional human being, especialy since they still reset your ingame balance every patch (about every 3 months now). Given that we are waiting for the new flight model I'd suggest holding out for that until summer to not get dissappointed by the curent mess.

The single player camaign Squadron 42 may be available for testing end of 2019 when development goes well.

Usually around Gamescom (August) and Citizencon (October) there are some deals going on to save a buck or two.

As for alternatives, if you want a MMO Elite Dangerous or Evolation are the only alternatives. If you're fine with single player have a look at Starway Fleet or Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.