what are these new magnetic fans?

LamoidZombieDog
15 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

No, NF-A12x25's are better. 

Thank you kind sir!

The blade design on the A12 reminds me of the Scythe/Nidec GentleTyphoon.  I've installed 2 of those in PCs at home, and they're some of the best fans I've ever used!  The airflow noise is much softer than what you'll get on any standard fan, and I expect the A12 is even better than the GT considering Noctua had to invent a new plastic just to make it work right.

2 hours ago, VIVO-US said:

The blade design on the A12 reminds me of the Scythe/Nidec GentleTyphoon.  I've installed 2 of those in PCs at home, and they're some of the best fans I've ever used!  The airflow noise is much softer than what you'll get on any standard fan, and I expect the A12 is even better than the GT considering Noctua had to invent a new plastic just to make it work right.

According to an interview with Noctua's CTO, the NF-A12x25 design is slightly superior. https://noctua.at/en/nf-a12x25-interview-lars-stromback

Lars Strömbäck (Noctua CTO): Whenever we develop a new fan, our goal is to provide the best performance-to-noise efficiency on the market, so we inevitably have to take a close look at what the market has to offer. The results actually reinforce the point I have just made: there are several models from different manufacturers that look quite similar at first sight, but there are vast differences in performance. This is because it’s the details and the fine-tuning of these details that make a good fan, not just the basic design approach. Of all the fans that could be considered looking similar to the NF-A12x25, the Nidec Gentle Typhoon proved to be the hardest competition, but we’re confident that our design is slightly superior. In our tests on a typical 2 inch all-in-one water cooler at 200W heatload with both fans adjusted to the same noise level, the NF-A12x25 with the supplied radiator gasket provided about 0.3 to 0.6°C lower temperatures than the Nidec depending on the speed settings. At the same time, our premium grade SSO2 bearing runs virtually inaudibly whereas the Nidec’s ball bearing produces an unpleasant tone that becomes clearly audible at lower fan speeds. Last but not least, unlike the NF-A12x25 with its integrated silicone pads and gasket, the Nidec doesn’t have an anti-vibration mounting and thus transmits vibrations and resonances to the radiator and case. All things considered, we’re confident that the NF-A12x25 is the best 120mm fan currently available.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.