8700k to 2700X?

I current have an 8700k build that I've been using to game on very occasionally at 1440p. At this resolution, I'm seeing that the 8700k isn't that much better than the Ryzen 2700X. A few people on a local classifieds site have offered enough money for my board + 8700k to cover a 2700x and an am4 board, but I'm wondering if it's really worth the hassle for the extra threads. I wouldn't really be putting them to use right now, however that might change in the future and make my build more future proof. There's also the option of selling and waiting for Zen2. I originally built this current machine with the intent of keeping it for a long, long time but with the core wars going on, I feel like in a few years 6 cores isn't going to be low end. Just curious to hear everyone's opinon, would you bother?

MSI Prestige 15

i5 10210u - 8GB DDR4 2666MHz - GTX 1650 Max-Q - 500GB SSD

Hinges still intact!

1 minute ago, RocketJump said:

There's also the option of selling and waiting for Zen2.

Wait for Zen 2. AMD will announce the new chips in less than two weeks, however it may be months before they get on the market.

But I think it's worth the wait because a 16 core 4.7GHz CPU for $500 sounds sweet. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

9 minutes ago, Geography said:

Wait for Zen 2. AMD will announce the new chips in less than two weeks, however it may be months before they get on the market.

But I think it's worth the wait because a 16 core 4.7GHz CPU for $500 sounds sweet. 

If anything it should drop the price of the 2700X if you still want to go that route.

If anything I'd go 2600 and OC if thats your opinion and upgrade later, the 2700X offers very little over a 2600 thats been OC'd gaming wise unless you stream then upgrade later.

Or just dont worry about it and do a full upgrade in 3 years or something when maybe.... just maybe 10nm is a thing or we get whatever is coming after ZEN lol

On 1/5/2019 at 2:23 PM, Geography said:

Yeah, I'm going to see what they announce at CES. If their entry level Ryzen 3 is actually going to be a 6c/12t processor, I'm going to have to force myself to upgrade. 

MSI Prestige 15

i5 10210u - 8GB DDR4 2666MHz - GTX 1650 Max-Q - 500GB SSD

Hinges still intact!

On 1/5/2019 at 8:21 PM, RocketJump said:

There's also the option of selling and waiting for Zen2.

Might be announced Tuesday, so I'd wait until wednesday and decide then.

I don't know how long Zen2 takes to be available, my guess would be rather short than long. Wich means something like March or April for availability. That's only a guess take it with a sack of salt.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"