general cooling problem.. any ideas?

nelska

So, I installed 4 system fans on my mobo because thats what the mobo supports.. anyhow after a few boots everything ran fine i even plugged and unplugged a few times to move things around and after a week or so i noticed one of the fans didnt run on boot.. thought broke the connector pins or the cord on the fan itself.. but noticed if i blew on it it started up and ran continuously.. like it needed a jump start. wasnt sure if it was a big deal or not it ran until i turned it back off but.. after a few days from then on i noticed it wasnt just the one system fan.. the last time i powered it on all but one ran but it wasnt the usual one that doesnt start up. sure enough i blew on it and it started up with the rest of the them.. how are 3 of the 4 fans running and randomly which ones not. they are 4 pin connectors should i run them on the 4pin connector power mode? in bios they are running at dc power... i didnt make any switches because i figured the mobo would regconize what was right.. should i up the power to them? the rpms rated at 1200 but they run at about 740rpm at the power they are putting out on default settings. not sure what to do i shouldnt have to kickstart my fans when i power on lol. thanks.

30 minutes ago, nelska said:

So, I installed 4 system fans on my mobo because thats what the mobo supports.. anyhow after a few boots everything ran fine i even plugged and unplugged a few times to move things around and after a week or so i noticed one of the fans didnt run on boot.. thought broke the connector pins or the cord on the fan itself.. but noticed if i blew on it it started up and ran continuously.. like it needed a jump start. wasnt sure if it was a big deal or not it ran until i turned it back off but.. after a few days from then on i noticed it wasnt just the one system fan.. the last time i powered it on all but one ran but it wasnt the usual one that doesnt start up. sure enough i blew on it and it started up with the rest of the them.. how are 3 of the 4 fans running and randomly which ones not. they are 4 pin connectors should i run them on the 4pin connector power mode? in bios they are running at dc power... i didnt make any switches because i figured the mobo would regconize what was right.. should i up the power to them? the rpms rated at 1200 but they run at about 740rpm at the power they are putting out on default settings. not sure what to do i shouldnt have to kickstart my fans when i power on lol. thanks.

Sounds like they are not getting enough voltage to run by themselves. I would defiantly up the speed or voltage in BIOS. Sounds like a problem you can fix in your bios

Did I fix your problem? Please feel free to donate to me at <Link Removed> 

Any donation is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

My pc - PCPartPicker part list 

Sounds like an issue of BIOS settings for the fans , PWM fans usually need a certain amount of duty cycle to get going.

1 minute ago, jake765111 said:

Sounds like they are not getting enough voltage to run by themselves. I would defiantly up the speed or voltage in BIOS. Sounds like a problem you can fix in your bios

this is what i figured.. is there any set rpm i should aim at? they are insignia 1200rpm pwm cooling fans they dont say anything about minimum wattage to run them. the mobos pushing them at 7.4 volts. thats all i know

1 minute ago, nelska said:

this is what i figured.. is there any set rpm i should aim at? they are insignia 1200rpm pwm cooling fans they dont say anything about minimum wattage to run them. the mobos pushing them at 7.4 volts. thats all i know

I would test and see what works for them. Don't put to little on them because they could burn up

Just now, jake765111 said:

I would test and see what works for them. Don't put to little on them because they could burn up

I'm guessing they arent hitting the required voltage to boot up. they do the twitching thing and unless i blow on them to get them spinning they dont go anywhere. and its usually just 1 of the 4 so im guessing the mobo is sharing the voltage throughout the 4 system fan ports so using all 4 is straining the power output it just needs a boost but i duno if theres any science behind the number.

1 minute ago, nelska said:

I'm guessing they arent hitting the required voltage to boot up. they do the twitching thing and unless i blow on them to get them spinning they dont go anywhere. and its usually just 1 of the 4 so im guessing the mobo is sharing the voltage throughout the 4 system fan ports so using all 4 is straining the power output it just needs a boost but i duno if theres any science behind the number.

Ya. The fans usually stop spinning themselves if they are not working by themselves so they might not work instantly when you blow on them. They try again after a certain amount of time.

-= Moved to Air Cooling =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I use a fan controller in my system, (no idea what it is, too lazy to go look) and something I noticed is if it's turned down too low, the fan will not come on on startup, so your issue sounds voltage related (which has already been figured out), and you should be able to change it in the bios, ( which has also already been said ... I don't know why I'm repeating stuff) I would look for a fan mode set to silent and turn it off or up to something else. 

Are all fans using their own headers? Or are you using a splitter? Which fans? Which mobo?

Control setting matters mostly with controlling. I would recommend that you use PWM setting for PWM fans. That shouldn't cause this issue. This might be just one header having a issue. In which case you need to test it out by swapping fans around.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 1/6/2019 at 11:16 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Are all fans using their own headers? Or are you using a splitter? Which fans? Which mobo?

Control setting matters mostly with controlling. I would recommend that you use PWM setting for PWM fans. That shouldn't cause this issue. This might be just one header having a issue. In which case you need to test it out by swapping fans around. 

no splitter 4 fans insignia 1200rpm i bought from best buy. i had to go to two different best buys for all 4. lol. on a b250 pc mate it has 4 system fan ports and one for a pump i dont use the pump port. I've had fan 2 and fan 4 fail to boot on seperate occasions and literally blowing on them gets them up and running with the other 3. its a power output issue. its not enough to power all 4 fans. im sure it doesnt work that way because they are all individually controlled. so im guessing the fans by default settings in the mobo arent getting enough power but i do not see anywhere on the insignia box what power by default they are suppose to be set to so mobo default them at 7.5 volts i think they are running that at around 750rpm. its not a major issue so i duno if i wanna fiddle with anything.

Maybe you should remove one and see how it works from there… 

I have 7 fans installed and one just kept failing during windows boot ( it did work on system boot ) so i decided to plug it in on the psu, now everything works oke ( i do have a case controller which i can use to adjust its speed ) 

Pump control can be used as a regular fan slot too 

1 hour ago, nelska said:

no splitter 4 fans insignia 1200rpm i bought from best buy. i had to go to two different best buys for all 4. lol. on a b250 pc mate it has 4 system fan ports and one for a pump i dont use the pump port. I've had fan 2 and fan 4 fail to boot on seperate occasions and literally blowing on them gets them up and running with the other 3. its a power output issue. its not enough to power all 4 fans. im sure it doesnt work that way because they are all individually controlled. so im guessing the fans by default settings in the mobo arent getting enough power but i do not see anywhere on the insignia box what power by default they are suppose to be set to so mobo default them at 7.5 volts i think they are running that at around 750rpm. its not a major issue so i duno if i wanna fiddle with anything.

Ok, so mobo only has PWM for CPU and PUMP headers. Rest are DC. Which still doesn't really matter, but I would highly recommend you testing fans one-by-one to see if its header or fan issue.

Furthermore if you could see how many wires actually goes to fans connector. Looking at their site and reviews, I got feeling it might be 3pin fan with 4pin header. Which would be hilarious since mobo has 4pin header with 3pins connected.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Ok, so mobo only has PWM for CPU and PUMP headers. Rest are DC. Which still doesn't really matter, but I would highly recommend you testing fans one-by-one to see if its header or fan issue.

Furthermore if you could see how many wires actually goes to fans connector. Looking at their site and reviews, I got feeling it might be 3pin fan with 4pin header. Which would be hilarious since mobo has 4pin header with 3pins connected.

yeh its 4pin fans and 4pin connectors on mobo i believe theres a switch for it in the bios. i dont wanna plug it in through the psu.. i just recently switched my second harddrive to the same sata cable as the first to save the other one from being used at all. wasnt sure it was suppose to do that thought it was an extension not a second power plug on the same cable lol.

11 minutes ago, nelska said:

yeh its 4pin fans and 4pin connectors on mobo i believe theres a switch for it in the bios. i dont wanna plug it in through the psu.. i just recently switched my second harddrive to the same sata cable as the first to save the other one from being used at all. wasnt sure it was suppose to do that thought it was an extension not a second power plug on the same cable lol.

You didn't understand me. The headers have pins and holes for pins. But on mobo, 4th pin isn't connected to anything (on manual labeled as NC = Not Connected). The fan may or may not have PWM, depends if it has all 4 wires running or not. You don't need to plug anything to PSU. Just test fans on headers you know. To check if its fans which are causing this or headers.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You can swap headers for the fans that spin and the ones that don't start up to see if it's a fan or header issue.

Have you tried raising fan speeds for fans that don't start up?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 1/9/2019 at 5:49 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

You didn't understand me. The headers have pins and holes for pins. But on mobo, 4th pin isn't connected to anything (on manual labeled as NC = Not Connected). The fan may or may not have PWM, depends if it has all 4 wires running or not. You don't need to plug anything to PSU. Just test fans on headers you know. To check if its fans which are causing this or headers.

i thought 4 pins were for 4 pins.. they would have just installed 3 pin on the mobo if they didnt support 4 pin. pwm.

On 1/9/2019 at 6:14 PM, WoodenMarker said:

You can swap headers for the fans that spin and the ones that don't start up to see if it's a fan or header issue.

Have you tried raising fan speeds for fans that don't start up?

theyve all booted fine the past week. it might have just been issues with it at first but they havnt failed yet this week. ive noticed one of them kinda has to kickstart itself but they all do end up running at the same speeds thanks.

8 minutes ago, nelska said:

i thought 4 pins were for 4 pins.. they would have just installed 3 pin on the mobo if they didnt support 4 pin. pwm.

You'd think that they'd do that but that isn't the case. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

You'd think that they'd do that but that isn't the case. 

the box the fans came in say they are 4pin for mwm mode. and the motherboard says there are 4pin connectors for pwm mode. I can switch them over but in bios they default to dc. which is weird because tbh i thought they would auto switch to whatever they were but they dont and i dont want to play with the bios settings because as of right now they are running. lol.

22 minutes ago, nelska said:

the box the fans came in say they are 4pin for mwm mode. and the motherboard says there are 4pin connectors for pwm mode. I can switch them over but in bios they default to dc. which is weird because tbh i thought they would auto switch to whatever they were but they dont and i dont want to play with the bios settings because as of right now they are running. lol.

4pin fans are pwm but 4pin motherboard fan headers don't necessarily support pwm. 

Default settings vary depending on the motherboard but the cpu_fan header tends to be pwm and sys/cha_fan headers tend to be dc. Some newer boards have the headers to Auto by default. 

Changing settings is fine -- that's what they're there for.