(Razer Blade Stealth Late 2016) Possible Battery Bulging?

Let me make this clear, I love this laptop. Keyboard and trackpad are excellent, and the display is straight up awesome. I have been using this for about two years now, and now I am noticing some really weird bulging. It started with the bottom part of the laptop, and I decided to ignore it since I couldn't really find an issue with it, and the bulging was minor. Now, the bulges are worse, and the trackpad is bulging slightly from the top. This is really starting to worry me, and I am not really an expert in the laptop knowhow department.

20190105_112501.jpg

20190105_112513.jpg

20190105_112613.jpg

Probably the battery is dying (and expanding)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

It worries me that the laptop is on in one of these photos.

Turn it off, and don't turn it on until that battery has been replaced.

Be careful if you're trying to remove the battery and replace it yourself.

The fact that it's bulging rather than just exploding is probably a good sign, but replace it ASAP.

Please do not turn on that laptop again with that battery in.

It could literally explode in your lap.

Hope this helps :) (sorry it's bad news!)

There's several threads on Razer and Reddit about this.  I would suggest contacting Razer as they might replace it outside of warranty simply due to the prevalence of the issue and the need to preserve reputation.  In all likelihood though, it's the battery.  It's pretty easy to replace yourself as well.

https://insider.razer.com/index.php?threads/bulging-battery-and-planned-obsolescence.30386/

Also, very much agree.  Don't turn it on again.  Don't plug it into charge or use the laptop as long as the battery's still in there.  Open it up, take pictures, take the battery out, seal it back up, see if you can just use it on AC power.  Contact Razer and see if they'll address the issue.  If not, buy a replacement battery and replace it yourself.

On 1/5/2019 at 12:32 PM, PineyCreek said:

There's several threads on Razer and Reddit about this.  I would suggest contacting Razer as they might replace it outside of warranty simply due to the prevalence of the issue and the need to preserve reputation.  In all likelihood though, it's the battery.  It's pretty easy to replace yourself as well.

https://insider.razer.com/index.php?threads/bulging-battery-and-planned-obsolescence.30386/

Also, very much agree.  Don't turn it on again.  Don't plug it into charge or use the laptop as long as the battery's still in there.  Open it up, take pictures, take the battery out, seal it back up, see if you can just use it on AC power.  Contact Razer and see if they'll address the issue.  If not, buy a replacement battery and replace it yourself.

Good thing you let me know, but quick question, when I open it from the bottom, should I be wary of any ribbon cables once I open the thing up? I hear that's common on laptops.

And if razer won't send a replacement, where can I find a replacement one? (I live in Saudi Arabia, so I don't know if they will ship here.)

2 minutes ago, BumbleBeerus said:

Good thing you let me know, but quick question, when I open it from the bottom, should I be wary of any ribbon cables once I open the thing up? I hear that's common on laptops.

And if razer won't send a replacement, where can I find a replacement one? (I live in Saudi Arabia, so I don't know if they will ship here.)

I've seen very few laptop designs where there's a lot of cabling over the battery.  You'll probably have a couple of screws security the battery housing to the chassis and either a fixed connector (where contacts on the battery housing make contact with contacts on the mainboard or separate power board), or far rarer you might have a cable coming off the battery.  You could check also to see if Razer has any service guides or diagrams of the internals of the laptop...most big companies (not including Apple) tend to make those publicly available.  Just don't stab the battery really hard with a screwdriver.