Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JustAnotherTechGuy99

Are New Games Losing Their Touch?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello all,

I just want to elaborate a thought i have had for a while now. When i was a child i grew up playing what was considered at the time games that were industry defining such as but not limited to:

• Warcraft III and Frozen Throne
  • Diablo II and Lord of Destruction
  • Command and Conquer (various iterations)
  • Tomb Raider
  • DOOM
  • FABLE
  • HALO
  • Sims (various iterations)

Now however, i feel like these titles latest iterations or the latest iterations from their publishers' are no longer producing any new games that are worth playing. In the last two years personally, i have only found Fallout 4 to be a good game and everything else just seems like a re-wash attempt to just rake in money from well-known titles. Of course i also have taken into account the publishers' side, they need to make money and they will always invest in what will give them a return, but i am not excited for any new games like i used to be.

We all know the meme of "Builds a new Rig.. plays old titles" but i always find myself playing older titles because they are actually good.I am not trying to cause an argument or "war" over this, i am still a gamer and i love playing games, but does anyone else feel the same way? or at the very least, have had this though? The game that finally made me want to post this was Fallout 76. I am a HUGE Fallout fan and i love the franchise, but Fallout 76 just seems like an attempt to such our money away for features they were too afraid to place into Fallout 4.

I just find since the success of Fortnite ALL game companies want in on that gravy train and that is understandable, but why should it be at the cost of storyline, graphics, features and originality?

Share your thoughts if you want.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

JATG

Because cash is king. Nothing else matters in the name of cash, a nonexistent audience and the Metacritic score your game gets. Games that set trends tend to be noteworthy and even popular to this day while emulators of those die off quickly.

It's why eleven years after it's come out, Team Fortress 2 still rakes in around 45k-60k players, like myself.

Actually, since I brought up TF2, it's story time.

Every game wanted to be TF2 starting in around 2010. Brink, Monday Night Combat, etc.

Then Overwatch came around. It didn't kill TF2, TF2 injured itself with the shitshow that was the Meet Your Match Update, but then every game wanted to be Overwatch. Loadout, Lawbreakers, Paladins (to this game's credit, it's actually more TF2-like than OW-like), etc.

Then PUBG and Fortnite came around. Fortnite didn't kill OW, but it took its casual crowd out of its hands because the player base is so damn toxic that you'd get sick by watching videos of it on YouTube. Everyone wanted to be either PUBG or Fortnite. CoD: Black Ops 4 and the Blackout mode, Radial Heights (what was it called again? I actually forget), hell, CS:GO and the Danger Zone mode (to CS' credit, it fits the game surprisingly well, kudos to Valve for thinking it through).

Casual gamers run the gaming industry, not those who actively play it 12 years down the line, and publishers want these games that are copies of successful games to try to emulate that.

Avid Team Fortress 2 player || @handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Tyler :^)

Main rig:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, stock | CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7 | GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 8G V1 | PSU: EVGA G3 550 | RAM: Patriot Viper 8GB DDR4 @2400MHz | Motherboard: ASRock AB350M | Case: Cooler Master N200 | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB SATA | HDD1: 750GB HGST 2.5" @ 5400rpm | HDD2: 2TB WD Blue 2.5" @ 5400rpm | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K65, Corsair Sabre RGB and Sony MDR-7506

Specs for secondary rig coming soon!

Dunno man, the new Doom, Tomb Raider, and God of War did a great job of boosting them into the current year. Talent still exists but it's buried beneath the swamp of cash swallowing every successful developer

This feeling of yours is probably caused by the fact that a lot of publishers are now prioritising “LiVe sErVICes” and “ENgaGmeNt” but not enjoyment. 

This is is because of the microtransaction and lootbox market boom, which drove many money grubbing devs to prioritise long grind like multiplayer experiences.

However, I think we are still very very fortunate nowadays since the indie scene is strong. Try out indie games and trust me you will be surprised. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

There have been several games I've enjoyed that last few years.  ie. Doom, the Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn.  As stated by Eaglerino above there is still talent out there.  The EU push back on early access and loot boxes is a good thing for consumers.  I have been disappointed in some things over the past few years.  Like you I am a big fallout fan and was very disappointed with Fallout 76 (really glad I waited for the reviews and did not preorder), but the release schedule marches on and the next good game could be just around the corner (I have no idea what game, but just don't preorder it).  Here is a review of Fallout 76, which ends with the reviewer talking about the future of video games and ending on a hopeful note despite just playing one of the worse reviewed games in years.

3 hours ago, JustAnotherTechGuy99 said:

Hello all,

I just want to elaborate a thought i have had for a while now. When i was a child i grew up playing what was considered at the time games that were industry defining such as but not limited to:

• Warcraft III and Frozen Throne
  • Diablo II and Lord of Destruction
  • Command and Conquer (various iterations)
  • Tomb Raider
  • DOOM
  • FABLE
  • HALO
  • Sims (various iterations)

Now however, i feel like these titles latest iterations or the latest iterations from their publishers' are no longer producing any new games that are worth playing. In the last two years personally, i have only found Fallout 4 to be a good game and everything else just seems like a re-wash attempt to just rake in money from well-known titles. Of course i also have taken into account the publishers' side, they need to make money and they will always invest in what will give them a return, but i am not excited for any new games like i used to be.

We all know the meme of "Builds a new Rig.. plays old titles" but i always find myself playing older titles because they are actually good.I am not trying to cause an argument or "war" over this, i am still a gamer and i love playing games, but does anyone else feel the same way? or at the very least, have had this though? The game that finally made me want to post this was Fallout 76. I am a HUGE Fallout fan and i love the franchise, but Fallout 76 just seems like an attempt to such our money away for features they were too afraid to place into Fallout 4.

I just find since the success of Fortnite ALL game companies want in on that gravy train and that is understandable, but why should it be at the cost of storyline, graphics, features and originality?

Share your thoughts if you want.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

JATG

The current era is VERY bad, probably one of the worst, but we've seen eras like this in the past, just not nearly as good.

If you want a complete tl;dr, I'll say the truly good era of PC gaming ended not long after CS:Source, Battlefield 1942 (a great game!), COD/UO, and Unreal Tournament 2004, Painkiller and World of Warcraft came out.  What killed this is INVASION OF THE CONSOLE PORTS.

But the long version goes much deeper.

People talked about the golden 80's after the great console crash of 1983.  Not talking about the Atari Arcade game, Gauntlet (which really was the forefounder of the modern ARPG), but the time of innovative, good and thought provoking games, like Bard's Tale 1 (great game), Ultima 3, 4, 5, Might and Magic 1, Wasteland, Starflight, and many others.  Then besides the Gold Box games, you suddenly went into a shovelware era, with the Amiga being badly marketed and the Apple and C64 on their death throes.  Then came more good games like Wing Commander 2, Star Control 2 (great game), Ultima 7, Wizardry 7, and Doom.  Then Command and Conquer and Warcraft 2, followed by another shovelware era, mixed inbetween games like Unreal, Quake, and Half-Life, Diablo, and a multiplayer explosion, combined with more shovelware.  Then the death of the great old companies and EA becoming a "We Destroy Devs" company, after the deaths of Origin Systems, Westwood associates, New World Computing and other legendary devs.  But after some more good releases (mostly multiplayer games) like Battlefield 1942, CS:S and UT2004, etc, then the flood of Xbox ports, mouse acceleration and bad textures, and then the "AAA title" syndrome.  

Now we're filled with Loot Box zombie infestations and battle royale.

RIP.

On 1/5/2019 at 2:55 PM, Castdeath97 said:

This feeling of yours is probably caused by the fact that a lot of publishers are now prioritising “LiVe sErVICes” and “ENgaGmeNt” but not enjoyment. 

This is is because of the microtransaction and lootbox market boom, which drove many money grubbing devs to prioritise long grind like multiplayer experiences.

However, I think we are still very very fortunate nowadays since the indie scene is strong. Try out indie games and trust me you will be surprised. 

Hey Castdeath97,

I have played many indie games, roughly 100+ and i have noticed it will be a 50-50 on if it would be ok or dumpster fire. I only meant games from proper publishers in my original post (no hate towards indie).

Thank you.

Sincerely,

JTAG

On 1/5/2019 at 1:50 PM, handymanshandle said:

Because cash is king. Nothing else matters in the name of cash, a nonexistent audience and the Metacritic score your game gets. Games that set trends tend to be noteworthy and even popular to this day while emulators of those die off quickly.

It's why eleven years after it's come out, Team Fortress 2 still rakes in around 45k-60k players, like myself.

Every game wanted to be TF2 starting in around 2010. Brink, Monday Night Combat, etc.

Then Overwatch came around. It didn't kill TF2, TF2 injured itself with the shitshow that was the Meet Your Match Update, but then every game wanted to be Overwatch. Loadout, Lawbreakers, Paladins (to this game's credit, it's actually more TF2-like than OW-like), etc.

Then PUBG and Fortnite came around. Fortnite didn't kill OW, but it took its casual crowd out of its hands because the player base is so damn toxic that you'd get sick by watching videos of it on YouTube. Everyone wanted to be either PUBG or Fortnite. CoD: Black Ops 4 and the Blackout mode, Radial Heights (what was it called again? I actually forget), hell, CS:GO and the Danger Zone mode (to CS' credit, it fits the game surprisingly well, kudos to Valve for thinking it through).

Casual gamers run the gaming industry, not those who actively play it 12 years down the line, and publishers want these games that are copies of successful games to try to emulate that.

Hey handymanshandle,

That there is the issue.. 'Casual gamers''. My biggest want for games is the awesome story lines and no overload of features no one will really use. At this stage the only publisher to actually make a decent story line anymore is Rockstar. Then again, the bar is very low in today's gaming world.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

JTAG

They lost there touch years ago, I have been playing video games since the 80's, in thee last 8-9 years I can confidently say there has been next to nothing new under the sun.  All the story lines have been done, all the game plays have been done, all the genres are repeating. The term cooky cutter comes to mind.

It's the same with movies (although the new waterboy movie looks good), and music (although there is good stuff out there you won't find it through all the normal channels).

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Are we talking AAA titles only, or games in general?

If it's AAA, they're stale because the companies that make them have grown so large that their objective at this point is purely to be able to keep the shareholders happy. The end result is that super-expensive AAA games all have to target the lowest common denominator and find new ways of extracting $$$ out of gamers.

That's why you get a new Battlefield, Far Cry, Call of Duty, Battlefront, Assassin's Creed, FIFA, etc. reskin every year. It's no longer a valid strategy either, as shown by their declining stock value and game sales. 

As for games in general, there's a ton of great indie and smaller company games coming out all the time and filling out various niches. Entire hugely popular genres (Soulslike, Battle Royale, MOBA, survival games, etc.) have been created by non-AAA devs during the past decade or less. 

I'd say gaming is in a really good spot right now, and I'm saying that as someone who grew up playing Commander Keen, Dune 2, and Heretic. 

On 1/4/2019 at 8:20 PM, handymanshandle said:

I just want to point out that Lawbreakers was openly in development before Overwatch was.

Lawbreakers didn't just die, it was MURDERED. Somehow Overwatch was announced later, released first, and just ran with it and people called Lawbreakers the clone.

Otherwise I'd say western developers are mainly focused on trying to hit the big trends, because Battlefield needs to include politics and the hot raging garbage that is battle royale.

The biggest issue is Activision and EA. Ubisoft is kind of a 50/50, but Microsoft and Playstation both tend to let the devs do whatever they want as long as a good system seller is produced, which while unfortunate that they aren't cross-platform, is a better way to make games.

Except Crackdown 3 has been delayed for 4 years and MS canceled Scalebound, which everyone was excited for.

There's also been a lot of good stuff coming out of Japan that isn't solely focused on sales... well.. not entirely. Apparently Capcom was disappointed with RE7 sales despite the overwhelmingly positive reception because it wasn't their best selling game ever. They literally wanted it to sell more copies by a large margin than any game they've ever made.