Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
poochyena

Please go back to 16:9 (Poll added)

What is the screen aspect ratio that you use to watch LTT videos on?  

270 members have voted

1. 1. What is the screen aspect ratio that you use to watch LTT videos on?

• 16:9
    • 2:1 (18:9)
    • 4:3
    • 1:1
    • 1.85:1
    • 3:2
    • 5:4
    • 3:1
    • 7:3 (21:9)
    • 8:5 (16:10)
    • Other

12 hours ago, dizmo said:

So stick with a standard and never change? That's logical. I mean, why did we ever move forward with computers? We should have stuck with typewriters. They worked just fine, and TVs should have stayed 4:3.

You should compare it to something comparable, like paper sizes. There's no point in change if it isn't going to be better. 3D TVs? Yeah, who cares. There's no benefit in changing the aspect ratio, but there is in having one standard that everyone can use. Like with charging cables.

3 hours ago, poochyena said:

Is that true though? Sure, most new flagship phones have 18:9, but that doesn't mean it is the new standard for phones.

https://www.gsmarena.com/zte_nubia_red_magic_mars-9433.php It could be

Every new tv/monitor was curved or 3D at one point, but that fad went away.

IT wasnt a fad per say. The curved screen does give a perceivably better immersion effect. They stopped making them for TV's because the practicality of having only a single focal point that gets the optimal viewing experience for a screen marketed to have more than one person watching at a time made no sense. However, curved monitors are still a thing (VERY much so actually, especially in gaming monitors.) because monitors are usually only used by one person. 

3D was a total fad and I'm glad its dead. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M      Cooling Cryorig H7

On 1/14/2019 at 4:12 AM, Sakkura said:

It's not a PC forum.

Well, as the recently posted video shows, people often watch video vertically on mobile. Clearly, quality is not the focus for a lot of mobile viewers. That defeats the argument of going 18:9 because of mobile users (in fact 16:9 content will look better than 18:9 viewed vertically, but either's going to be pretty crappy).

Sure, "tech" forum, but you're really arguing semantics there.

I don't know the video you're referencing but I'm not sure how one could come to that conclusion.

On 1/14/2019 at 8:46 AM, poochyena said:

Is that true though? Sure, most new flagship phones have 18:9, but that doesn't mean it is the new standard for phones. Every new tv/monitor was curved or 3D at one point, but that fad went away. 18:9 could very well be another fad. I feel kinda mixed about my 18:9 phone, it is a little too tall for me tbh.

Its not. For one, as I said above, it could just be a fad. But 2, its better to keep it at what people actually currently use since these are tech videos. future proofing is 100% pointless on his videos. No one is going back to watch a video about the gtx 980 or whatever.

Yes. Right now we have a really horrible pool to go from, but if you look at the GSMArena phones for 2019 so far there's 9 devices listed, of which 7 are 18:9 (or greater), one is a feature phone, and one is unlisted though by the looks of it, it too is 18:9. Pretty sure the ratio is the same just too tired to calculate it. None of these are flagship devices.

That's simply not true. People to back to watch videos all the time. I've seen many, many posts where new users say they're going through the catalogs of older videos. Especially since there's a lot of cool ones that aren't necessarily reviews of cards. Or, they're looking at reviews when buying older hardware.

Really, the whole poll is a little flawed. It'd paint a lot more complete picture if you'd included the medium the people voting use. If it was mostly PC, obviously the results are skewed to those that use the forum.

23 hours ago, corrado33 said:

Pretty sure this is the exact definition of a "sell out." 

In fact, webster defines it as:

": to betray one's cause or associates especially for personal gain"

And urban dictionary defines it as:

sell out:

Anyone who sacrifices artistic integrity in an effort to become more successful or popular (generally in music); someone who forgets their roots.

Sounds about right to me.  

Their cause is to make content. They still make content. Thus, they're not selling out. Do you think he does it for shits and giggles, or to provide for his family?

You've really got a warped view of the way the world works.
If we're going for the "core" audience...I joined the forum 3 years before you did. So, by your logic, my opinion would matter more than yours anyway.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

44 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Sure, "tech" forum, but you're really arguing semantics there.

I don't know the video you're referencing but I'm not sure how one could come to that conclusion.

This one:

Spoiler

2:1 doesn't bother me on my 16:9 TV. I'm also used to watching 16:9 content on a 16:10 monitor so bars are nothing new for me. It's a good aspect ratio to be reasonable on modern phones, 16:9 displays and 21:9 displays. 

A man of charm with strange quarks.