Please go back to 16:9 (Poll added)

poochyena

What is the screen aspect ratio that you use to watch LTT videos on?  

274 members have voted

1. 1. What is the screen aspect ratio that you use to watch LTT videos on?

• 16:9
    • 2:1 (18:9)
    • 4:3
    • 1:1
    • 1.85:1
    • 3:2
    • 5:4
    • 3:1
    • 7:3 (21:9)
    • 8:5 (16:10)
    • Other

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Is there a link to where he said this?

I think it was a WAN Show, but I don't remember which.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

although most viewers are on mobile

I dont get why that is, but I do see hoardes of suckers glued to their phone all the time.

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

I dont get why that is, but I do see hoardes of suckers glued to their phone all the time.

It's probably because a lot of people have phones but not necessarily PCs. Also, most people with phones carry it on them so if they need to watch a video they can easily.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

if they need to watch a video

Difference between need and want. Need is like you need to learn how to do a complete roof job on your house so you need to watch youtube on how to do that. Most are just in the "want" category, they want to binge on flicks and eat doritos and drink XL diet cola.

5 hours ago, Sakkura said:

Your claim is not supported by your reference. In fact, your source explains that a more square aspect ratio makes more sense for phones, rather than a wider aspect ratio. And wide is only for "epic" "cinematic" content, while casual entertainment leans toward taller aspect ratios.

LTT videos are not epic or cinematic, they're casual entertainment.

Also: The video itself is in 16:9. Even these cinematic folks think 16:9 is the right aspect ratio for youtube.

Also also: Another "cinematic" feature is 24FPS video. Is LTT going to adopt that? I think not.

I never said my reference supports my claims for why i rather have horizontal black bars, I even mentioned that reference was for purely the technical side of black bars and widescreens. and also repeatedly mentioned it's subjective that they think it's better.

also repeatedly mentioned I rather have horizontal black bars than see vertical black bars on the sides, and i really can't imagine people loving vertical black bars.

seems like you've hit a loop, i've explained everything more than once.

Edited by Rohith_Kumar_Sp
grammar

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

My phone is 18.5:9 and my monitor is 16:9 and i use both pretty equally. When LTT was producing 16:9 content I wouldn't zoom in on my phone I'd just watch it with bars on the sides, it didn't bother me at all.  I didn't even notice the switch to 18:9 until Linus acknowledged the viewer distaste for it in a video.  

I'm going to vote for other unless an option for both 16:9 and 18:9 is added. 

I don't see the huge issue. Is it really that annoying for you? Yes, your poll shows that most people don't use 18:9, however it's also on a PC forum. Where I imagine most people use 16:9 (which isn't 100% the case either, as I don't).

18:9 is indeed rapidly becoming the mobile screen ratio of choice. If they can tell that most of their audience is on mobile, then it makes sense to transition to that now, rather than trying to scramble to it later. Yes, while most phones are 16:9 now (those in use, not being released), that will rapidly change going forward. A smart company plans for the future, it doesn't try to adapt once change has already taken place. Look at most phones being released, and it's pretty obvious where the mobile space is going.

On 1/5/2019 at 4:29 AM, Guest said:

Phones released this year =/= phones a majority of people use. And, I get it. Linus has a tech-y audience that wants to use the bleeding edge, so my previous statement is null.

Ultra-tall on phones just makes no god damn sense to me. It adds nothing to the experience.

USB TYPE C IS STUPID THOUGH. IT WEARS OUT WAY TO QUICKLY COMPARED TO MICRO B.

I've never had either wear out. Could have just come down to your luck of the draw. You don't really have a sample pool big enough to go one way or the other.

On 1/5/2019 at 8:43 PM, corrado33 said:

You could argue that the "core fans" were the ones that were there first, and actually liked the tech content, and are actually pretty tech savvy while the fans LMG are catering to now are the "new" ones who aren't super tech savvy and want different, more exciting, more exaggerated content. 

So? Core fans or not, it doesn't matter, the people in the higher percentile do.

On 1/6/2019 at 10:19 AM, poochyena said:

I mean I guess if you want to make the argument that 18:9 just simply looks better, thats one thing, but Linus clearly said its because "most people use their phone to watch our videos now" which seems to imply that most people watch on a 18:9 display, but with only ~8% voting on that option... its clearly not true.

Clearly the best solution here is to just make 360 videos. /s

I don't think the forum is really the right place to make that assumption. It's most likely used by people on a PC...who, are most likely using a 16:9 device.

They know their metrics. If most people are on mobile, and mobile is heading to a higher aspect ratio, then it makes sense to change it to match that ratio sooner than later.

On 1/7/2019 at 6:02 PM, NottJim said:

It's seems an odd choice to invest in a high end video production pipeline if you've decided that the audience that matters is the audience that doesn't care about video quality.

People who watch YouTube on their phones don't care about video quality, if they did care they wouldn't be viewing it on a 5~6" screen.

Also, if you're going to go down this route you may as well fully commit to it and embrace VERTICAL VIDEO ?

You couldn't be more wrong...

On 1/12/2019 at 10:58 AM, Bramimond said:

I was really glad when the world seemed to be able to decide that 16:9 is what screens should be. So you can have a 16:9 TV and watch 16:9 content. It was like when the world decided on standard charging cable for phones. A really good thing. The world was moving forward towards a better tomorrow.

Why we are going back, I honestly don't understand and it makes me mad. Why would you want to screw with the standard? Why move backwards to a worse world? I bought my current phone like a month ago and it's 16:9. I won't buy a new one until this one breaks and I'm hoping to get at least 8 years out of it. Not that I would watch video on my phone. I have a TV.  It's 16:9 and the next one will be, too. It's the standard. It should stay that way forever.

So stick with a standard and never change? That's logical. I mean, why did we ever move forward with computers? We should have stuck with typewriters. They worked just fine, and TVs should have stayed 4:3.

On 1/12/2019 at 4:11 PM, RobinHtk said:

Who watches videos with a phone ? lol

Loads of people, evidently. I do. Why waste valuable time when I can just watch a quick video during my morning business?

On 1/12/2019 at 4:55 PM, Canada EH said:

Yeah I dont get why people would, makes no sense.

I don't get why it matters to you what other people consume media on ?

On 1/12/2019 at 5:43 PM, Sakkura said:

I can understand watching on phone, but IMO when you're on phone you don't care about video quality. Otherwise you'd be on the TV or PC.

This further disqualifies the apparent reason for the change.

I don't want to watch something 360p on my phone. It's horrible. I want something that's quality. Just because I'm watching on my phone doesn't mean I don't care about quality. That mentality is completely void of any reasoning.

3 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Those who need to multitask and make the most of their time? Seems reasonable to me.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

i dont mind watching 18:9 on my 16:9 monitor in the slightest, its more annoying to have huge blackbars than top an bottom blacked out

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

I never said my reference supports my claims for why i rather have horizontal black bars, I even mentioned that reference was for purely the technical side of black bars and widescreens. and also repeatedly mentioned it's subjective that they think it's better.

also repeatedly mentioned I rather have horizontal black bars than see vertical black bars on the sides, and i really can't imagine people loving vertical black bars.

seems like you've hit a loop, i've explained everything more than once.

You're just repeating your claim that bars are somehow worse if they're horizontal, which is nonsensical.

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

I don't see the huge issue. Is it really that annoying for you? Yes, your poll shows that most people don't use 18:9, however it's also on a PC forum. Where I imagine most people use 16:9 (which isn't 100% the case either, as I don't).

It's not a PC forum.

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

I don't want to watch something 360p on my phone. It's horrible. I want something that's quality. Just because I'm watching on my phone doesn't mean I don't care about quality. That mentality is completely void of any reasoning.

Well, as the recently posted video shows, people often watch video vertically on mobile. Clearly, quality is not the focus for a lot of mobile viewers. That defeats the argument of going 18:9 because of mobile users (in fact 16:9 content will look better than 18:9 viewed vertically, but either's going to be pretty crappy).

Let's not forget that there's more people that watch LTT videos than there are members of this forum. So it's 100% possible that the numbers are skewed here, as there's many many more people that haven't voted. So the demographics Linus states, simply don't reflect the poll results here. There's more of us PC users here because most people came here to either get help building one, or troubleshooting one then just stayed. Regardless, I don't really see the issue with the change here, it's still wide screen and the shooters and editors still show us what we want to see perfectly framed up.

I personnally love tech, but do only watch videos on computers, since I use my smartphone just to phone or text, and the occasional picture at family dinner ^^ 
But i can see why there is such noise around this topic, isn't it simply that some are trying to pull people on one standart rather than another and because of it content creators can't choose the good one for ALL users?

3 hours ago, Sakkura said:

You're just repeating your claim that bars are somehow worse if they're horizontal, which is nonsensical.

what? where? I've been repeating i rather have horizontal bars than vertical, what are you even saying? go back to my comments and read them again. are you sure you aren't confusing me with someone else? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

4 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

what? where? I've been repeating i rather have horizontal bars than vertical, what are you even saying? go back to my comments and read them again. are you sure you aren't confusing me with someone else? 

*Vertical. Brain fart.

Just now, Sakkura said:

*Vertical. Brain fart.

yeah and i stand by it, you like vertical bars on your screen? it's like watching 4:3 content on a 16:9 monitor. what was your point? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

5 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

yeah and i stand by it, you like vertical bars on your screen? it's like watching 4:3 content on a 16:9 monitor. what was your point? 

My point is black bars are bad regardless of their orientation.

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

18:9 is indeed rapidly becoming the mobile screen ratio of choice.

Is that true though? Sure, most new flagship phones have 18:9, but that doesn't mean it is the new standard for phones. Every new tv/monitor was curved or 3D at one point, but that fad went away. 18:9 could very well be another fad. I feel kinda mixed about my 18:9 phone, it is a little too tall for me tbh.

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

it makes sense to change it to match that ratio sooner than later.

Its not. For one, as I said above, it could just be a fad. But 2, its better to keep it at what people actually currently use since these are tech videos. future proofing is 100% pointless on his videos. No one is going back to watch a video about the gtx 980 or whatever.

9 hours ago, dizmo said:

So? Core fans or not, it doesn't matter, the people in the higher percentile do.

Pretty sure this is the exact definition of a "sell out." 

In fact, webster defines it as:

": to betray one's cause or associates especially for personal gain"

And urban dictionary defines it as:

sell out:

Anyone who sacrifices artistic integrity in an effort to become more successful or popular (generally in music); someone who forgets their roots.

Sounds about right to me.  

12 hours ago, dizmo said:

So stick with a standard and never change? That's logical. I mean, why did we ever move forward with computers? We should have stuck with typewriters. They worked just fine, and TVs should have stayed 4:3.

You should compare it to something comparable, like paper sizes. There's no point in change if it isn't going to be better. 3D TVs? Yeah, who cares. There's no benefit in changing the aspect ratio, but there is in having one standard that everyone can use. Like with charging cables.

3 hours ago, poochyena said:

Is that true though? Sure, most new flagship phones have 18:9, but that doesn't mean it is the new standard for phones.

https://www.gsmarena.com/zte_nubia_red_magic_mars-9433.php It could be

Every new tv/monitor was curved or 3D at one point, but that fad went away.

IT wasnt a fad per say. The curved screen does give a perceivably better immersion effect. They stopped making them for TV's because the practicality of having only a single focal point that gets the optimal viewing experience for a screen marketed to have more than one person watching at a time made no sense. However, curved monitors are still a thing (VERY much so actually, especially in gaming monitors.) because monitors are usually only used by one person. 

3D was a total fad and I'm glad its dead. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 1/14/2019 at 4:12 AM, Sakkura said:

It's not a PC forum.

Well, as the recently posted video shows, people often watch video vertically on mobile. Clearly, quality is not the focus for a lot of mobile viewers. That defeats the argument of going 18:9 because of mobile users (in fact 16:9 content will look better than 18:9 viewed vertically, but either's going to be pretty crappy).

Sure, "tech" forum, but you're really arguing semantics there.

I don't know the video you're referencing but I'm not sure how one could come to that conclusion.

On 1/14/2019 at 8:46 AM, poochyena said:

Is that true though? Sure, most new flagship phones have 18:9, but that doesn't mean it is the new standard for phones. Every new tv/monitor was curved or 3D at one point, but that fad went away. 18:9 could very well be another fad. I feel kinda mixed about my 18:9 phone, it is a little too tall for me tbh.

Its not. For one, as I said above, it could just be a fad. But 2, its better to keep it at what people actually currently use since these are tech videos. future proofing is 100% pointless on his videos. No one is going back to watch a video about the gtx 980 or whatever.

Yes. Right now we have a really horrible pool to go from, but if you look at the GSMArena phones for 2019 so far there's 9 devices listed, of which 7 are 18:9 (or greater), one is a feature phone, and one is unlisted though by the looks of it, it too is 18:9. Pretty sure the ratio is the same just too tired to calculate it. None of these are flagship devices.

That's simply not true. People to back to watch videos all the time. I've seen many, many posts where new users say they're going through the catalogs of older videos. Especially since there's a lot of cool ones that aren't necessarily reviews of cards. Or, they're looking at reviews when buying older hardware.

Really, the whole poll is a little flawed. It'd paint a lot more complete picture if you'd included the medium the people voting use. If it was mostly PC, obviously the results are skewed to those that use the forum.

23 hours ago, corrado33 said:

Pretty sure this is the exact definition of a "sell out." 

In fact, webster defines it as:

": to betray one's cause or associates especially for personal gain"

And urban dictionary defines it as:

sell out:

Anyone who sacrifices artistic integrity in an effort to become more successful or popular (generally in music); someone who forgets their roots.

Sounds about right to me.  

Their cause is to make content. They still make content. Thus, they're not selling out. Do you think he does it for shits and giggles, or to provide for his family?

You've really got a warped view of the way the world works.
If we're going for the "core" audience...I joined the forum 3 years before you did. So, by your logic, my opinion would matter more than yours anyway.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

44 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Sure, "tech" forum, but you're really arguing semantics there.

I don't know the video you're referencing but I'm not sure how one could come to that conclusion.

This one:

Spoiler

2:1 doesn't bother me on my 16:9 TV. I'm also used to watching 16:9 content on a 16:10 monitor so bars are nothing new for me. It's a good aspect ratio to be reasonable on modern phones, 16:9 displays and 21:9 displays. 

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

• 2 months later...