Please go back to 16:9 (Poll added)

poochyena

What is the screen aspect ratio that you use to watch LTT videos on?  

274 members have voted

1. 1. What is the screen aspect ratio that you use to watch LTT videos on?

• 16:9
    • 2:1 (18:9)
    • 4:3
    • 1:1
    • 1.85:1
    • 3:2
    • 5:4
    • 3:1
    • 7:3 (21:9)
    • 8:5 (16:10)
    • Other

I mean I guess if you want to make the argument that 18:9 just simply looks better, thats one thing, but Linus clearly said its because "most people use their phone to watch our videos now" which seems to imply that most people watch on a 18:9 display, but with only ~8% voting on that option... its clearly not true.

Clearly the best solution here is to just make 360 videos. /s

6 hours ago, poochyena said:

I mean I guess if you want to make the argument that 18:9 just simply looks better, thats one thing, but Linus clearly said its because "most people use their phone to watch our videos now" which seems to imply that most people watch on a 18:9 display, but with only ~8% voting on that option... its clearly not true.

Would be really fun to get some more information from LTT about that statistic. Because YouTube's own statistic are bugged in this case, some TV:s are and chromecast are  reported in the wrong category so it's really hard to know how many phone users you have.

It's seems an odd choice to invest in a high end video production pipeline if you've decided that the audience that matters is the audience that doesn't care about video quality.

People who watch YouTube on their phones don't care about video quality, if they did care they wouldn't be viewing it on a 5~6" screen.

Also, if you're going to go down this route you may as well fully commit to it and embrace VERTICAL VIDEO ?

1 hour ago, NottJim said:

Also, if you're going to go down this route you may as well fully commit to it and embrace VERTICAL VIDEO ?

Thats how he has said his wife watches netflix movies, holding the phone vertically.

get ready for 9:18 videos!

On 1/4/2019 at 7:44 PM, poochyena said:

phone

Why are you logging into LTT on a phone?

3 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Why are you logging into LTT on a phone?

?? me? I'm not.

Sorry bruv I like having my screen filled for once, there's stuff I miss out on when it's cropped.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

I can understand wanting to appeal to the broader audience... but... was anyone really asking for the 2:1 aspect ratio? Was anyone on an iPhone X thinking “LTT sucks, I can’t even tell I have a notch when I watch their videos!”? Every time I watch an LTT video now, I’m distracted looking at black bars that shouldn’t be there, bars that pretty much no other YouTube channel has... and I forget to pay attention to the video.

On 1/4/2019 at 9:50 PM, King Poet said:

[protests in ultrawide]

It is quite nice having significantly smaller vertical black bars, and if the content is centered properly throughout a video you can sometimes get away with zooming it to fit ?

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

On 1/4/2019 at 11:41 PM, KaminKevCrew said:

I just assumed that LTT was using wider aspect ratios because they are the standard in cinema...

I thought it was because they seem to do everything half retarded these days...

1 hour ago, Ja50n said:

I can understand wanting to appeal to the broader audience

I can too, which is why I created the poll. Clearly 18:9 is NOT the broader audience like Linus seems to have said it was. 100+ people is a half way decent sample size too.

If 18:9 was actually 50% of the audience or something, then fine, I'd concede... but it very clearly isn't.

26 minutes ago, poochyena said:

I can too, which is why I created the poll. Clearly 18:9 is NOT the broader audience like Linus seems to have said it was. 100+ people is a half way decent sample size too.

If 18:9 was actually 50% of the audience or something, then fine, I'd concede... but it very clearly isn't.

Be careful, as I’d say there’s a lot of bias in your results. The majority of people visiting the forum, finding your post, and then weighing in by voting and commenting are probably very unhappy with the move away from 16:9... it would be interesting to see the results of a Strawpoll during a WAN show for a broader audience polling, though hopefully the results would be similar :)

i mentioned this on forums a while back and people were furious ,

but i think the wider aspect ratio is kinda nice, only because it looks nice in cinema mode on youtube

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

Here's the problem 

16:9 is very well the dominant aspect ratio, but there are now other options such as ultrawide ones alongside the plethora of phones with the notch and a different aspect ratio. 

So it's either keep 16:9 and having the rest crop in or go ultrawide but have others live with black bars on the top and bottom. 

What's the compromise? 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

it looks like shit on my tcl tv. not only black bars, its also distorted! FIX THIS LINUS!

IMG_20190110_195928.jpg

On 1/9/2019 at 6:17 AM, poochyena said:

Clearly 18:9 is NOT the broader audience like Linus seems to have said it was.

Don't they have, like, better ways to gauge the % of people watching than a poll on a forum?

I don't really know what kind of mechanism of tracking this sort of data YT gives its creators.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

12 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

Don't they have, like, better ways to gauge the % of people watching than a poll on a forum?

I don't really know what kind of mechanism of tracking this sort of data YT gives its creators.

That's assuming they're even doing this based on data.

13 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

I don't believe so. I'm fairly certain they know how many phone and desktop users are, but I think they are making the assumption phone users = 18:9 screen.

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

I don't believe so. I'm fairly certain they know how many phone and desktop users are, but I think they are making the assumption phone users = 18:9 screen.

They got statistics som YouTube that tell them everything.  Problem with YouTube statistics is that it's not 100% correct. A lot of devices are reporting wrong resolution and TV, ChromeCast and other type of stream devices are often reported as a mobile (i.e. phone) device. 

So sincerely hope that LTT don't use that statistic when they say most users are mobile.

I may be the only bloke on a 16:9 aspect ratio that doesn't mind the new LTT aspect ratio. It kinda makes everything more cinematic and cool (helps they use epic quality cameras). Maybe I'm just an outsider here, but I think it was neat move they made, and don't really think they should go back.

(Currently installing pillows on my anus preparing for an ass woopin by everyone else)

I think one of the CES videos were in 21:9, the video went into the notch even without pinching.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Well, one thing is certain: I clearly underestimated how many people are watching LTT videos in fullscreen mode xD

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Modern phones use retarded resolutions and aspect ratios. Which is just pure distilled idiocy. With 16:9 at 1920x1080, you had edge to edge content on monitors, TV's and phones. Always, no exceptions. And now you have stupid black bars like we've gone 2 decades back through time. Progress my ass when outcome of it is anything but useful. Even 4K is in the same 16:9 aspect, meaning it would again look identical on monitors, modern TV's and phones. Assuming phones weren't running these retarded resolutions and aspect ratios. So, in the end phones will always have problems displaying shit. And if you adapt it to phones, you exclude monitors and TV's. Makes no sense.