EVGA 750GQ not coil whine noises?

MattBoxer
Go to solution Solved by MattBoxer,

Well I found out the culprit of that noise, my gpu brace was pushing the shroud inwards and touching the fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  Thanks for the help anyway!

Hello,

I brought this EVGA 750GQ second hand on ebay just over 1 year ago, and I was fully aware of its eco mode coil whine problem, example here: 

Spoiler

I had found away around this by running my system for about 15 mins at a reasonable load for the PSU to get warm and kick its fan on, then the noise disappeared. However the other day it developed a new sound, one of a rapid clicking noise a video of it here (is there in both non and eco modes): 

After some investigation, it seems like its the PSU fan (as its the loudest there) , and as it goes away somewhat if I tilt my case, which made me think of possibly a wire rubbing against the fan. However the noise only starts when I start a some what demanding load on it and not at idle and I thought that I would still hear it if the fan is spinning slowly. Is it a fan issue or a capacitor one? Thanks in advance!

| Ryzen 7 3700x | 16GB Vengance @ 3200 | MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming | 

| ADATA XPG SX8000NP 256GB Nvme SSD + WD Blue 500GB SSD | 4TB WD Blue |

| Corsair RM650x |        

| NZXT H200 White |

4 minutes ago, Mattboxer2000 said:

Hello,

I brought this EVGA 750GQ second hand on ebay just over 1 year ago, and I was fully aware of its eco mode coil whine problem, example here: 

Hide contents

I had found away around this by running my system for about 15 mins at a reasonable load for the PSU to get warm and kick its fan on, then the noise disappeared. However the other day it developed a new sound, one of a rapid clicking noise a video of it here (is there in both non and eco modes): 

Hide contents

After some investigation, it seems like its the PSU fan (as its the loudest there) , and as it goes away somewhat if I tilt my case, which made me think of possibly a wire rubbing against the fan. However the noise only starts when I start a some what demanding load on it and not at idle and I thought that I would still hear it if the fan is spinning slowly. Is it a fan issue or a capacitor one? Thanks in advance!

It sounds like a bad fan bearing to me

12 minutes ago, Aprilfooldude said:

It sounds like a bad fan bearing to me

Yeah, I guess that could also be a cause of it. I would go for an RMA, but shipping will cost a lot. So I guess if I don't want to risk dying to replace the fan xD I guess it's time for a new PSU?

| Corsair RM650x |        

| NZXT H200 White |

Well I found out the culprit of that noise, my gpu brace was pushing the shroud inwards and touching the fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  Thanks for the help anyway!

| Corsair RM650x |        

| NZXT H200 White |