A rebuttal to Linus' take on Nvidia introducing multiple RTX 2060 SKUs

wildside50
4 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Online shopping is only just starting to take off over here. In the meantime, brick and mortars are still holding on (albeit barely) 

I mean, there has never been walls of hardware..... 

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

There seems to be a distinct lack of these shelves in my country

I've seen the shelves, but it was like January to March 2018 so they looked like the bread aisle after the weather man called for SNOW (if you don't get that just google the phrase "Bread Aisle Snow" without the quotation marks).

6 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

not really, there is a fairly sizeable performance difference between GDDR5 and GDDR6 and his point is the average consumer ESPECIALLY a parent buying for there kid won't know the difference

I just feel the need to interject a point here: Anyone who is willing to spend hundreds of dollars or even thousands of dollars on things without first researching what they are buying probably deserves the buyers remorse that they will inevitably be left with.

I actually quite prefer the product configuration plan that car manufacturers and now nVidia is using, and I wish that more manufacturers would integrate it into more products, along with better tools to understand the configuration tree. For example:

• Classification starts with a manufacturer: "Ford", "nVidia"
  • Then the manufacturer offers different products, each aimed at wildly differing markets "Mustang, F150", "RTX2080, RTX2060"
  • Then you get sub models "[GT350, GT500], [Platinum, Raptor]", "[RTX2080, RTX2080ti], [RTX2060 3gb, RTX2060 8gb]"

This tree structure makes it easy to see which products are related, and in which ways. It also makes it easier to compare models, and find the one that best suits your needs, which is yet another benefit of having submodels: Fine grained and well organized model differentiation makes it easier to select the product that best fits your needs and budget.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

14 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

I actually quite prefer the product configuration plan that car manufacturers and now nVidia is using, and I wish that more manufacturers would integrate it into more products, along with better tools to understand the configuration tree. For example:

• Classification starts with a manufacturer: "Ford", "nVidia"
  • Then the manufacturer offers different products, each aimed at wildly differing markets "Mustang, F150", "RTX2080, RTX2060"
  • Then you get sub models "[GT350, GT500], [Platinum, Raptor]", "[RTX2080, RTX2080ti], [RTX2060 3gb, RTX2060 8gb]"

This tree structure makes it easy to see which products are related, and in which ways. It also makes it easier to compare models, and find the one that best suits your needs, which is yet another benefit of having submodels: Fine grained and well organized model differentiation makes it easier to select the product that best fits your needs and budget.

It’s why I proposed that the full-blown RTX 2060 with all the cores and GDDR6 be called the 2060 Ti and the lesser variant that could potentially have a lower-binned GPU be called the 2060.

It’s not unlike the GP107, where the lesser variant with less cores and 2GB of VRAM is called the 1050 and the variant with the full core count and 4GB of VRAM is called the 1050 Ti.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

24 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

I just feel the need to interject a point here: Anyone who is willing to spend hundreds of dollars or even thousands of dollars on things without first researching what they are buying probably deserves the buyers remorse they will inevitably be left with.

you have to understand, the average consumer is not like you and I, us "tech nerds" research the fuck out of everything, determine exactly which model we want then hunt for the best price. The average consumer might do a quick search to see about how each card Series (2060, 2070, 2080 and so on) performs, unless in that quick search they see it being discussed that there are different versions they aren't gonna realize what they didn't know when they buy one from the store, you really gotta step out of our overthinking shoes and look at how the average person sees things and thinks through stuff, shit my mom (all be it she is a bit crazy) has gone out and come home with a NEW CAR before (I'm not joking this literally happened when I was in highschool) she didn't do any research, she just bought the latest model year of the car she had, but with the upgraded trim level (and a different color) and the car she had was only like 2 or 3 years old, she has also purchased garbage laptops (like Durabrand or some shit like that) on a whim only to complain a week later about not having the money to refill her propane tank (we don't have Natural Gas out this far yet), some people are just bad with money, and the same way we have helmets to protect people from hurting themselves we gotta stop companies from screwing people over for no reason. my boss bought a like $700 Digital Camera without knowing anything beyond the brand name, the average consumer is extremely under informed and some generations lack the tech upbringing we had to even be able to effectively google, I mean shit i'm surrounded by people that keep typing after the autofill has filled in what they want to type and think you have to type Youtube then click the link in the search results instead of just typing youtube.com or they can't google worth a damn, don't understand tabbed browsing (you know holding CONTROL while you click different search results, shit my boss will open a photo on the computer, close the photo then click the next photo after it, old people suck at tech.

27 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

That works fine for things like memory capacity differences, I even prefer it that way since the major components that make up the graphics card as a whole are the same. For something like using different GDDR altogether l'd prefer to see RTX 2060 3GB, 4GB and 6GB for GDDR5X and RTX 2065 3GB, 4GB and 6GB for GDDR6.

You've got 6 models and you can group them in to three with major commonalities, that's where a major model number would best suit.

14 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

It’s why I proposed that the full-blown RTX 2060 with all the cores and GDDR6 be called the 2060 Ti and the lesser variant that could potentially have a lower-binned GPU be called the 2060. 

That's pretty much a toned down version of what I'm saying they should do. I'm saying that they should continue with the release of different configurations, but instead of using a difficult to understand naming scheme that obfuscates things, just put the specs in the name. I think the only time the name should be appended with something is with a die improvement: including more cuda cores or whatever the case may be.

So you would get like, gtx206035, gtx206086, gtx2060ti116... Stuff like that. That naming scheme takes only a paragraph to explain and is fully transparent as to what you're actually buying.

10 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

you have to understand, the average consumer is not like you and I,

I understand quite fully how dumb people can be. It has nothing to do with being a techie, rather it has every thing to do with making wise purchases. In my personal life, I research every purchase over $100, to ensure that I'm going with the best product that will prevent buyers remorse. I mean, no one buys a car or a house without doing a little background research, and I don't understand why people adamantly refuse to apply that logic to all major purchases. Buyer beware, man. If someone gets stuck with something that they didn't want because they couldn't be bothered to actually make sure they were buying what they wanted, that's their own fault.

On the other hand, if nVidia was actually making false claims as to the performance of the devices, and people fell for it, that's a different matter. Where we are at now is kind of a grey area: Is nVidia purposefully obfuscating the names of products to trick people into spending money on an inferior device, or are they just not good at naming and organizing products?

The latter is a very easy trap to accidentally fall into, especially if your marketing department/shot callers are largely "technology oblivious", but does not imply nefarious behavior.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Still asking myself why does the RTX 2060 has a 3gb variance.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

I understand quite fully how dumb people can be. It has nothing to do with being a techie,

It has nothing to do with being dumb, and everything to do with being a techie. Concepts that seem simple to you or me are only simple because of a base of knowledge. The average person doesn't even understand what RAM is. My mother, who is an exceptionally smart person, can barely use a computer. She knows way more than I do about finances though. What's a simple concept to her will leave me more confused than when I started.

The reason analogies are the easiest way to explain something is because then a person can use their existing knowledge to achieve understanding. If I try to explain what a CPU does to someone, they have no idea what I'm saying. It would take days to explain the basic concepts of that. If I say "The CPU is like the computer's brain", they immediately gather some understanding of its function.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

19 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

I think the only time the name should be appended with something is with a die improvement: including more cuda cores or whatever the case may be.

So you would get like, gtx206035, gtx206086, gtx2060ti116... Stuff like that. That naming scheme takes only a paragraph to explain and is fully transparent as to what you're actually buying.

More CUDA cores means a different model, or does unless it's a GTX 1060 3GB or other similar odd ball non standard cards that breaks convention.

Putting the number of SMs or CUDA cores on to the model number is redundant unless you intend of destroying the point of having model numbers. What is the core difference between a GTX 1070, 1070 Ti and 1080? The number of active SMs, the 1080 also has faster memory. They all use the same die but going down to that level is not actually necessary as the dies really just define the number of SMs there could be which goes right back to what the model number are actually depicting.

GTX 1070-15 or GTX 1070-1920 isn't any better than simply GTX 1070 unless you intend to have multiple GTX 1070 with different numbers of SMs enabled, and that would be better served and more clear with a different model name.

GPU models are heavily tied to performance, always have and until recently have done so very clearly. The old days of ATI X800 LE, X800 GT, X800 GTO, X800 Pro, X800 XT, X800 XT PE were far and away worse than modern model naming schemes. Replacing all the XTs/Pros/GTs with numbers would be clearer indeed but not better than what we have now.

16 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Still asking myself why does the RTX 2060 has a 3gb variance.

Probably because lots of stuff doesn't use 3GB of VRAM. People are finally starting to realize that Ultra textures rarely looks objectively better, but rather just "different". The 1060 3GB is still only limited by its CUDA cores except at stupid settings that you only use in benchmarks. I'm using a 980 Ti on 1440p 144hz, and I don't ever use more than 4GB of VRAM that I can remember.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

5 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Probably because lots of stuff doesn't use 3GB of VRAM.

A whole lot does, most of what doesn't is either low end enough to where a 2060 is not needed or old enough which kinda falls on the same matter.

You do not need "ultra textures" to max the 3gb vram on the current 1060 and textures are usually one of the lowest performance impact settings when you have enough VRAM meaning that you're picking on people wrongly here.

The 1060 3gb is not limited by its CUDA saying that makes no sense, it barely has less CUDA cores than the 6gb, it's main issue is with its VRAM.

Your "analogy" with a 980 Ti makes no sense being honest, not only its a different card with the double of VRAM so it ain't not even close to a direct comparison saying "it doesn't use more than x vram" without any specification and without any knowledge on actual allocations of system memory is pointless.

The RTX 2060 only having 3GB while still supposedly featuring Ray Tracing makes no sense at all and most people should avoid it from day one.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

13 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Probably because lots of stuff doesn't use 3GB of VRAM. People are finally starting to realize that Ultra textures rarely looks objectively better, but rather just "different". The 1060 3GB is still only limited by its CUDA cores except at stupid settings that you only use in benchmarks. I'm using a 980 Ti on 1440p 144hz, and I don't ever use more than 4GB of VRAM that I can remember.

There's a few games I have that can go over 4GB but I'm a slightly higher res than you are, 2560x1600. I do find HD texture pack DLCs do actually make a visible quality difference though, the FFXV 4K texture pack is extremely better but the game is totally fine without it, still a game I play on my PS4 anyway I just brought it on PC cos.... [no reason found].

what mustang someone buys doesn't determine what roads they can drive on. 

Computer parts are named differently when they have different specs. What they are doing here is taking conventional wisdom for people who understand how to look for parts and compare them just enough build their PC and throwing it in the trash- taking advantage of the fact that they rightly think that computer parts by the same name have relatively the same performance

Imagine if there were a bunch of different versions of the i7-8700K, and not all were 6 cores, but all were named the i7-8700K. It's the same kind of idea. 

There's a difference between "mustang" and a part model number! The name of a car is more compatible to the "i3, i5, i7, i9" nomenclature. What year? What trim? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

* Thread cleaned *

If you're getting worked up enough by this discussion to start insulting others, I suggest you take a breather ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Im a LOT miffed by NVIDIA for binning chips however -  Im moreso miffed by a Consumer willing to spend a chunk of sizeable change (to some), that doesn't do their research.

Kuddo's to the seller - the buyer is the problem in this situation.  Don't understand technology?  Not willing to research when you have the INFORMATION OF THE WORLD AT YOUR FINGERTIPS?  Then go, be an idiot consumer. 

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

More CUDA cores means a different model, or does unless it's a GTX 1060 3GB or other similar odd ball non standard cards that breaks convention.

and that is the inherent issue here. things that greatly effect the performance of the card should result in different model numbers, so just like the 1060 3gb should not be a 1060 because of it's different CUDA core count the GDDR5 and 6 cards should be different model numbers, the performance difference is likely to be enough of a difference (using Linus's estimate of 10% performance variance) to fully justify a different model number and not something simply tacked on the end of something that the typical consumer won't comprehend because they simply don't know enough about computers.

2 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Im a LOT miffed by NVIDIA for binning chips however -  Im moreso miffed by a Consumer willing to spend a chunk of sizeable change (to some), that doesn't do their research.

Kuddo's to the seller - the buyer is the problem in this situation.  Don't understand technology?  Not willing to research when you have the INFORMATION OF THE WORLD AT YOUR FINGERTIPS?  Then go, be an idiot consumer. 

How is the buyer expected to understand the technology if the seller doesn't explain it properly? why is it so difficult to accept the idea that if someone sees a model number they should be able to expect the same performance from said model? FYI, not everyone is good at googling.

12 hours ago, mr moose said:

Even though there are no details on the GPU for either, the details that is does provide are different inferring the 6G model is faster.

3G model:

6G model:

Bolded the difference,

Now before this conversation goes on any further, my point here is to illustrate that there are differences in claims and marketing material, there is also a difference in price.   Which I did state earlier, that is enough difference  that one should start to ask questions if they don't know? If a consumer doesn't know the difference between 3G and 6G of ram or why one is advertised with the 1060 engine or even what the 15% faster a longer refers to and they refuse to find out then they are probably going to be led to buy anything regardless.

If we are to take the arguments being put forward here to their logical conclusion then you should have postfixs like Ti or prefixes like GTX or R9 or Rx because not everyone undersstand what they mean.  Therefore the box, ad and all reviews should have a long list of ever major spec.

No I don't think so.  I think false advertising is false advertising and companies should be punished for that, but lets not dumb down this shit to the point we miss out because you are afraid some dumb dumb who refuses to educate themselves might get ripped off, especially by a company that isn't even responsible for most of the box information (I know they control layout and name positions but they don't stop them from listing the specs or making those specs prominent).

Ok, I guess I won the argument then, there are or were indeed GPUs being sold with the same box/labeling with no information stating that Option A is worse than Option B performance wise, aka, false advertising, giving you the illusion that you're merely just buying a product with less memory that still performs the same, since you failed to prove otherwise and I even went charitable by giving you an official listing on Amazon by the AIB, were you tried to use GPUTweak as a justification...a piece of software...

<s>Great, I'll be able to live with myself this weekend.</s>

15 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

How is the buyer expected to understand the technology if the seller doesn't explain it properly? why is it so difficult to accept the idea that if someone sees a model number they should be able to expect the same performance from said model? FYI, not everyone is good at googling.

Define explain properly?  They information is there - its up to you as the Consumer to understand what you are trading your fake currency for. 

If you elect to not utilize the tools you have at hand, that we all have access too - especially those interested in buying a new gen NVIDIA card - that's your own fault. 

In the world there are 2 species of humans - tool creators and tool users.  The delta that separates them is Intelligence.  The tools are there, if the User is to dumb to use it - that's their own damn fault. 

Marketing ploys, gimmicks, etc have been around since...well, the word Capitalism existed (and prior).  Its up to you to educate yourself - take some ownership of your own life and quit waiting to be "told" what to do.

This post isn't aimed at "you" but anyone who wants to blame a company for their own blunders.  While underhanded - this is absolutely normal business practices all across the world all across the markets.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

6 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Define explain properly?  They information is there - its up to you as the Consumer to understand what you are trading your fake currency for. 

If you elect to not utilize the tools you have at hand, that we all have access too - especially those interested in buying a new gen NVIDIA card - that's your own fault. 

In the world there are 2 species of humans - tool creators and tool users.  The delta that separates them is Intelligence.  The tools are there, if the User is to dumb to use it - that's their own damn fault. 

Marketing ploys, gimmicks, etc have been around since...well, the word Capitalism existed (and prior).  Its up to you to educate yourself - take some ownership of your own life and quit waiting to be "told" what to do.

This post isn't aimed at "you" but anyone who wants to blame a company for their own blunders.  While underhanded - this is absolutely normal business practices all across the world all across the markets.

Being "normal business practices" doesn't mean anyone should be OK with it, it's still shady as crap. and can we please STOP calling people not properly educated in technology as "dumb", someone had a great example earlier in this thread about how someone they knew is a great accountant (or something like that), but couldn't use a computer to save their life, being ignorant of how something works because you where never taught how it works is not being "dumb", it's simply not having the training, I could build and trouble shoot a desktop PC all day long but ask me to do something like networking in a server room is beyond my capacity because I don't have that training, to expect every potential buyer to have that level of education is asking to much when simply using a different model number would be enough to differentiate the 5's from the 6's.

and like I said it's not about not "using the tools" it's about some people where never taught how to use the tool in the first place, If I told you to preform open heart surgery on a loved one, do you think you could learn enough from youtube videos to do it right? Thats what it's like for many "average joe's" out there in the world.

This is simply a situation that has no reason to exist, Nvidia could easily give these 2 different product numbers and avoid the confusion, there is no need to require the end user to be this level of informed, thats Linus's point.

19 minutes ago, strajk- said:

Ok, I guess I won the argument then, there are or were indeed GPUs being sold with the same box/labeling with no information stating that Option A is worse than Option B performance wise, aka, false advertising, giving you the illusion that you're merely just buying a product with less memory that still performs the same, since you failed to prove otherwise and I even went charitable by giving you an official listing on Amazon by the AIB, were you tried to use GPUTweak as a justification...a piece of software...

<s>Great, I'll be able to live with myself this weekend.</s>

14 hours ago, mr moose said:

This issue is not he number of SKU's, it's product misrepresentation either in the form of marketing or at the sales counter.

I can't read half the shit on that box, I can't find a better picture online and I don't have one.

That's not proof, that's just two pictures of box with a difference on them I can't read.

Now if you want to get into the nitty gritty of the number of cuda cores on the 1060 6G versus the 3G version, then we can have that discussion, but keep in mind all 6G have the same amount of cuda cores and all 3G cards have the same amount cuda cores, so the issue is not box labeling,  but rather is their sufficient information available to a consumer before purchasing to know that difference.

Which if you want to go back to the start of this thread where you had a conniption because you wanted to insinuate a product that isn't even released yet is some how insufficiently labeled/spec'd, you'll see that I specifically excluded product misrepresentation. Which is illegal and probably wouldn't even be a thing if consumers bother to take responsibility for themselves and acknowledged they don't know everything and need to ask questions or get help.  Which from your arguments seems to be a big no no, According to your insinuations we must reduce the options instead.

Even though there are no details on the GPU for either, the details that is does provide are different inferring the 6G model is faster.

3G model:

6G model:

Bolded the difference,

Now before this conversation goes on any further, my point here is to illustrate that there are differences in claims and marketing material, there is also a difference in price.   Which I did state earlier, that is enough difference  that one should start to ask questions if they don't know? If a consumer doesn't know the difference between 3G and 6G of ram or why one is advertised with the 1060 engine or even what the 15% faster a longer refers to and they refuse to find out then they are probably going to be led to buy anything regardless.

If we are to take the arguments being put forward here to their logical conclusion then you should have postfixs like Ti or prefixes like GTX or R9 or Rx because not everyone undersstand what they mean.  Therefore the box, ad and all reviews should have a long list of ever major spec.

No I don't think so.  I think false advertising is false advertising and companies should be punished for that, but lets not dumb down this shit to the point we miss out because you are afraid some dumb dumb who refuses to educate themselves might get ripped off, especially by a company that isn't even responsible for most of the box information (I know they control layout and name positions but they don't stop them from listing the specs or making those specs prominent).

Claim the win all you want , but you have to argue within the parameters of the debate.  I have acknowledged that there is a difference between the GPU on the 6G and 3G models, but this debate is about box labeling,  you have not given me two identical boxes, they differ, the product also differs.  That is my point and always has been.  The issue with AIB and false advertising in some cases hoppens, sure, but it is not because of multiple options from nvidia. And so far it doesn't appear to be box labeling alone. 

Now as I already said, if we assume the 1060 was exactly what you claim (ignoring the ram), then we have one example out of 1000's of a misrepresented product.  Because my looking into the 1030 so far All the ddr4 variants are labeled as such and the ones that aren't specified are ddr5,  this maybe wrong but I can only go on stores description (which indecently always mentions the ram type) and their supplied picture.  Do you really want to argue that a product not yet released is absolutely going to be misrepresented on the box in the same way that single product was while the other 1000's weren't, AND, blame Nvidia when it is the AIB who decide what info goes on the box in that regard?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

13 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

Being "normal business practices" doesn't mean anyone should be OK with it, it's still shady as crap. and can we please STOP calling people not properly educated in technology as "dumb", someone had a great example earlier in this thread about how someone they knew is a great accountant (or something like that), but couldn't use a computer to save their life, being ignorant of how something works because you where never taught how it works is not being "dumb", it's simply not having the training, I could build and trouble shoot a desktop PC all day long but ask me to do something like networking in a server room is beyond my capacity because I don't have that training, to expect every potential buyer to have that level of education is asking to much when simply using a different model number would be enough to differentiate the 5's from the 6's.

and like I said it's not about not "using the tools" it's about some people where never taught how to use the tool in the first place, If I told you to preform open heart surgery on a loved one, do you think you could learn enough from youtube videos to do it right? Thats what it's like for many "average joe's" out there in the world.

This is simply a situation that has no reason to exist, Nvidia could easily give these 2 different product numbers and avoid the confusion, there is no need to require the end user to be this level of informed, thats Linus's point.

So we replace DUMB with PURPOSED IGNORANCE.  I also am a "shadetree" PC builder, mechanic, etc.  Self taught using the information available around me.

If in 2019 someone doesn't know to go to a Tech Forum, or use Google, or...well...anything like that before making a few hundred dollar investment...its those PURPOSED IGNORANCE peopled that deserve to waste their money. 

*Please spell it out for me so I don't have to understand what Im trading hundreds of dollars for*

The only thing I spend money on that Im not sure what I am getting, is at a new restaurant.  Everything else - I investigate.  I don't have to - I could be Patrick from SpongeBob too and enjoy being completely oblivious to things in life.  But Im not Patrick, because Id prefer to not be had, not be taken advantage of, and spend my money in the most sensible way possible.

It has a reason to exist - its to ensure NVIDIA is able to put a PRICE POINT all over the market.  Right now - you can only pay $500 or more for a new GPU.  They need to have something at the 100, 150, 200, 250, 300 segments etc etc etc (and anything in between) to compete with AMD.  If you cant see that, that's fine - but its my guess and again...uneducated consumers are the problem here.

5 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

So we replace DUMB with PURPOSED IGNORANCE.  I also am a "shadetree" PC builder, mechanic, etc.  Self taught using the information available around me.

If in 2019 someone doesn't know to go to a Tech Forum, or use Google, or...well...anything like that before making a few hundred dollar investment...its those PURPOSED IGNORANCE peopled that deserve to waste their money. 

*Please spell it out for me so I don't have to understand what Im trading hundreds of dollars for*

Again you clearly haven't spent the level of time I have around non-pc enthusiasts trying to discuss computer parts, many of these folks are incapable of properly searching google effectively, let alone knowing they need to in a case like this.

7 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

It has a reason to exist - its to ensure NVIDIA is able to put a PRICE POINT all over the market.  Right now - you can only pay $500 or more for a new GPU.  They need to have something at the 100, 150, 200, 250, 300 segments etc etc etc (and anything in between) to compete with AMD.  If you cant see that, that's fine - but its my guess and again...uneducated consumers are the problem here.

and i never said it shouldn't exist, I simply said it should have a different MODEL NUMBER so it's obvious where it sits in the product stack. like previous examples, call the GDDR5 versions 2060 and the GDDR6 versions 2065 or 2060ti, these are familiar enough concepts to indicate that there is a performance difference, the 5 or 6 at the end of the GDDR lettering is meaningless to the average consumer, a number shift in the product stack clearly indicates a performance difference.

1 minute ago, Daniel644 said:

Again you clearly haven't spent the level of time I have around non-pc enthusiasts trying to discuss computer parts, many of these folks are incapable of properly searching google effectively, let alone knowing they need to in a case like this.

and i never said it shouldn't exist, I simply said it should have a different MODEL NUMBER so it's obvious where it sits in the product stack. like previous examples, call the GDDR5 versions 2060 and the GDDR6 versions 2065 or 2060ti, these are familiar enough concepts to indicate that there is a performance difference, the 5 or 6 at the end of the GDDR lettering is meaningless to the average consumer, a number shift in the product stack clearly indicates a performance difference.

I know 1 other PC enthusiast - everyone else brings me their ish to work on.  Your first paragraph is about as insulting as saying they are DUMB - so lets call them PURPOSEFULLY IGNORANT.  You may think its okay to be purposefully ignorant - I think its DUMB to be purposefully ignorant. 

No you specifically said (see above):

This is simply a situation that has no reason to exist

Actually - a number shift up typically indicates a superior product if we are going to look at someone trying to make an indication off of that.  Not sure of any product where that's not the case off the top of my head.

Purposed Ignorance - You wont find me in that group.  You will find me hollering at them for being ignorant on purpose.

Hell Im ignorant on Thermal Paste...check my post history today.  Ive never cared to research it.  Well I want to reapply so I came here to find out Kryonaut was the bees knees.  Or I could have just grabbed up the first thing on Newegg or Amazon right?  Choices...beds we sleep in...we make them all.