Windows 10 Power Plan 100% CPU Usage

tep1981

I have an issue with Windows 10 x64 build 1803 (17134.472) in that every time I restart the PC the CPU is at 100% so every time I have to reset the power plan to default and within 5 seconds its back to 1%

I've tried changing the power plan to high performance and while it saves the settings once again when I restart the CPU is at 100%,

I've tried the following:

creating a custom power plan

running a cmd prompt and typing powercfg -restoredefaultschemes

Any other ideas apart from a clean install?

2 minutes ago, tep1981 said:

I have an issue with Windows 10 x64 build 1803 (17134.472) in that every time I restart the PC the CPU is at 100% so every time I have to reset the power plan to default and within 5 seconds its back to 1%

I've tried changing the power plan to high performance and while it saves the settings once again when I restart the CPU is at 100%,

I've tried the following:

creating a custom power plan

running a cmd prompt and typing powercfg -restoredefaultschemes

Any other ideas apart from a clean install?

Could you identify which program that is causing it in the task manager? 

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.85Ghz, MotherBoard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F, RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB 3000Mhz

GPU: GALAX GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White, Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White, Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, PSU: Corsair CX650M

In the power profile setting, you can set the minimum CPU usage to like 15%.

Though keep in mind it will jump up to 100% when it has to get work done but, that's not a bad thing.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

On 1/3/2019 at 10:01 AM, PokiDaSpitz said:

Could you identify which program that is causing it in the task manager? 

Task Manager itself say's it is using 100%, the machine itself has an i9-7900X which is used for heavy image processing and analysis so I would prefer not to limit its usage

Does it stay pegged at 100% after a while or, does it go down?

On 1/4/2019 at 10:19 PM, Cyberspirit said:

Does it stay pegged at 100% after a while or, does it go down?

It remains constant at 100% until I default the power plan

3 hours ago, tep1981 said:

It remains constant at 100% until I default the power plan

If there's no program that's pegging it to 100% then, something might've gone wrong while updating.

Could you send a screenshot of the Task manager?

Does the fan ramp up or is there anthing else to indicate that the CPU is really pushed to 100%? Because there is a bug in Task Manager that sometimes causes it to display an incorrect CPU useage.

On 1/3/2019 at 2:10 AM, Cyberspirit said:

In the power profile setting, you can set the minimum CPU usage to like 15%.

Though keep in mind it will jump up to 100% when it has to get work done but, that's not a bad thing.

I thought the same thing for a while. Those settings actually refer to max and minimum clock speed percent of the cpu. You can set max cpu to like 10 percent, but that means the cpu will run at most like 800mhz, not that utilization will be capped at 10 percent.

1 hour ago, peacefulpolarbear said:

I thought the same thing for a while. Those settings actually refer to max and minimum clock speed percent of the cpu. You can set max cpu to like 10 percent, but that means the cpu will run at most like 800mhz, not that utilization will be capped at 10 percent.

Yeah, but I meant only setting the minimum to 15%. Sometimes it's at a 100% by default so, it never downclocks on idle or lower loads.

On 1/4/2019 at 4:22 PM, tep1981 said:

Task Manager itself say's it is using 100%, the machine itself has an i9-7900X which is used for heavy image processing and analysis so I would prefer not to limit its usage

You already get answer - max performance means 100% usage. Want to reduce it when idle? Change minimum CPU usage. It can't lower your performance in programs.

On 1/13/2019 at 6:07 PM, homeap5 said:

You already get answer - max performance means 100% usage. Want to reduce it when idle? Change minimum CPU usage. It can't lower your performance in programs.

I get 100% usage when nothing is running, literally after the computer boots into Windows

On 1/11/2019 at 9:18 AM, NeuesTestament said:

Does the fan ramp up or is there anthing else to indicate that the CPU is really pushed to 100%? Because there is a bug in Task Manager that sometimes causes it to display an incorrect CPU useage.

No the fans do not increase in speed or noise

1 hour ago, tep1981 said:

No the fans do not increase in speed or noise

Maybe it is just the Task Manager bug if that is the case

4 hours ago, tep1981 said:

I get 100% usage when nothing is running, literally after the computer boots into Windows

Do you change that power plan and decrease minimal CPU usage to lower value or not?

On 1/18/2019 at 12:59 PM, homeap5 said:

Do you change that power plan and decrease minimal CPU usage to lower value or not?

As I mentioned in my first post, changing the power plan does reset the usage to 100% but every time I restart the PC its at 100% again

The applications I run are power hungry so no I do not intend to lower the CPU usage

1 hour ago, tep1981 said:

As I mentioned in my first post, changing the power plan does reset the usage to 100% but every time I restart the PC its at 100% again

The applications I run are power hungry so no I do not intend to lower the CPU usage

This is not how it works! Lowering MINIMUM CPU usage don't affect cpu hungry applications!

• 3 months later...

I have the same issue as the OP.  A lot of people do not seem to get what he is saying because it does not make sense... and it does not...

I have reinstalled windows multiple times, reinstalled drivers, messed with the bios, etc etc etc.  

The CPU in the task manager reports 100% when barely anything is running.  we are talking about having google chrome open in the background and its going at 100%.  My fan however DOES come on, and even though I've installed other programs that show that nothing is going on (they show my CPU running at say 15%... whatever is happening on the windows side of things is basically telling the computer that its busy and causing other programs to be sluggish.  Note that I have worked in computer networking and repair for over 15 years (not my primary job though), I have not been able to fix this. 

I have an i7 4790k.  While my computer still has this issue, it was linked to my Skype at one time.  Whenever I opened skype it would undo whatever settings were in my power plan (or registry - since I fixed that) and send it sky rocketing.  All my apps, until I reset the plan ( in the admin cmd menu, mind you (because default does not work for me)).  So what I end up doing is creating about 10 high performance plans and when it does it again (and now its mostly random but definitely tied to when programs start up) I switch plans and use them all up and reset all of them using the info I found 

"" 

After much debugging, I was able to come to the conclusion that my specific case was related to a bug in the Oculus Rift software. Because the Rift, a virtual reality headset, requires low latency, their software seems to set the IDLEDISABLE power configuration to "1". In certain cases, after taking the headset off, the setting is not changed back to the default of "0".

IDLEDISABLE prevents the CPU from throttling itself, causing heat and the fan noise I observed. Additionally, this manifested in the Task Manager as "100% CPU usage". Process Explorer seems to always discount the System Idle Process and not include it in the total CPU usage, which is why it displayed a lower total CPU usage than Task Manager did.

To fix this, you can run the following two commands, which sets the IDLEDISABLE setting back to "0" and then re-applies the power management configuration.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>PowerCfg /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_PROCESSOR IDLEDISABLE 000
C:\WINDOWS\system32>PowerCfg /SETACTIVE SCHEME_CURRENT

More information can be found in my post-mortem. ""