Tom's Incoming Foldable Phone Review

18 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Its a real shame theres a stigma around the Chinese goverment is using Huawei products to spy on customers when they are putting out great phones like this.

FTFY

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

2 hours ago, BuckGup said:

The issue is flexible screens cannot bend past a certain point. You will create excess pressure and it will either delaminate from the sides or break. Also there can't be glass on the screens so I bet it feels horrible to use and scratches easily 

If they use the right material it can be done. It is all a matter of find a material that is highly flexible and has the other proper properties. Shape memory materials would work wonderfully to allow for such bends while still allowing it to revert to it's flat form. 

38 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

FTFY

They aren’t, it’s pretty clear it’s just propaganda.

Reviews I want to see - 

1. A drop test

2. JerryRigEverything

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

6 hours ago, YoloSwag said:

Reviews I want to see - 

1. A drop test

2. JerryRigEverything

3. and a case for the device

I don't see how the Huawei design overcomes the notch. It's still there when it's in phone form. IIRC the front screen on the Samsung is just as big as the last generation Sony XZ2 Compact. So, it's really far from unusable...though that does mean the device itself is quite large. That Flexpai is absolute trash though, and I have no idea what LG is thinking with two separate displays. They should just try to improve the phones they have on offer, or they'll just suffer another GFLex scenario.

It'll be interesting to see if Samsung can make these devices the next Note line; something that we see as ghastly now, but in 5 years time a large portion of us will have.

Don't hate on initial designs and products. They get better with time. Obviously something super awesome isn't going to come out immediately.

On 1/2/2019 at 7:07 PM, BuckGup said:

Seems dumb. All it takes is someone to sit on it and the screen will break on the bend

Don't treat your stuff poorly then? Pretty simple..

On 1/3/2019 at 12:27 AM, D13H4RD said:

“It’s so powerful it will be able to replace a PC”

Not this again....

To be fair it can replace a PC for such a huge majority of people, the statement, really, is fair.

On 1/3/2019 at 12:34 AM, 1kv said:

I hate to be 'that guy', but it's technically false advertising, right?

I mean, you can't really game or video edit on a tablet.

Sure, the type of person that'll buy this tablet won't need that performance, but imo you can't really say something is powerful enough to replace a PC unless it really is. 

It's not false advertising. Who says the people are going to video edit? Gaming is likely extremely easy with the SD855 these will likely have.

It can replace a PC for a great percentage of people. Those video editing or gaming at a level where these wouldn't be effective aren't stupid enough to think they are.

On 1/3/2019 at 12:54 AM, RejZoR said:

Anyone else feels all this folding nonsense is about as useful as the notches? Or am I the only one? I can't seem to think of a single practical use. Even for tablets as it would be too big either dimension you get in the end.

Only meaningful application was the re-introduction of slider system on Xiaomi Mi Mix 3. Phone doesn't seem to be much thicker, they entirely eliminated the notch and has a practical use just like in the past where slider action answered or canceled the calls. Plus, sliding action is a great anti stress system. Anyone owning a slider phone or USB drive with retractable connector using button knows what I mean. :)

I don't see how it'd be too big for a tablet. Have you seen the size of some tablets?

The slider is ok, but I worry about long term reliability. Chances are it will loosen and become a wobbly mess, like virtually every other slider.

On 1/3/2019 at 7:54 AM, Bananasplit_00 said:

only one that looks like it would be useful is the Galaxy F, the Huawei fold out into a SQUARE, how is that even useful???? the flex pai looks like it would be bulky to hold when folded and the LG has a bezel in the middle which destroys the entire point of these for me

I have no idea what LG is thinking. All I can see is the "we need to hop on the bandwagon too!"...but they don't have the ability to compete in exactly the same space (which is odd given their strong display division) so they release something not quite the same, and not likely to be very popular.

On 1/3/2019 at 10:50 AM, BuckGup said:

The issue is flexible screens cannot bend past a certain point. You will create excess pressure and it will either delaminate from the sides or break. Also there can't be glass on the screens so I bet it feels horrible to use and scratches easily 

Yet I'm pretty sure they'd have designed the device with that in mind..or, perhaps even made something new (you know, something that happens every now and then) so that such things aren't nearly as much of an issue.

On 1/3/2019 at 1:06 PM, peanuts104 said:

FTFY

To be fair, the worry isn't really people in general being spied on, it's the fact that if requested, the company would simply hand the Chinese government whatever information they wanted instead of fighting against it. It's just the way the country is structured.

On 1/3/2019 at 1:45 PM, RorzNZ said:

They aren’t, it’s pretty clear it’s just propaganda.

They aren't currently. There's a big distinction to make there.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

That folded phone looks like a wallet. 

Man, they were clearly going about it the wrong way - with all the contact-less payment methods via phone that's supposed to remove your wallet from the pocket.

Clearly integrating a phone screen to a wallet is the way to go xD

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

7 hours ago, dizmo said:

To be fair it can replace a PC for such a huge majority of people, the statement, really, is fair.

For light workloads they don’t involve heavy productivity or gaming, sure

But anything heavier and I don’t think Android in its current form holds up, especially since tablets and Android have historically not mixed too well

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 1/2/2019 at 6:07 PM, BuckGup said:

Seems dumb. All it takes is someone to sit on it and the screen will break on the bend

On the other hand, I’m excited for the Jerry rig everything video on them

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

On 1/3/2019 at 7:02 AM, D13H4RD said:

I guess it's for productivity?

I don't really have an idea for the use of a square aspect ratio (not a 4:3)

Yes. Exactly. I never stretch one app across both screens on my Axon M, the square form factor and seam between screens make doing so generally terrible, though I've done it a few times, mainly for text heavy situations where the seam isn't so bothersome. Waze and Google Maps are also okay stretched, I can mount the phone with both screens open in my car with a magnetic vent mount which is nice. But for any sort of video it's terrible, exactly as you'd expect. Make no mistake, the Axon M is not everything I hoped for when I first conceptualized what a folding phone could be, not by a longshot. But once I reset my expectations, I love it for its productivity power. The ability to have a web browser going on one side while I'm having a conversation in Messenger or whatever on the other side is amazing. I find myself loving the second screen so often and so much that, as I said earlier, I can't go back to a regular device. And it has a headphone jack and SD card slot. And what's more, it's only $250! I think it's the best phone that you can buy, hands down. 

Please don’t make this the norm! 

How do you fit a screen protector and case on that thing!? I sure as heck don’t wanna drop this. How much will it cost to get the screen replaced? $1000?

I'm still waiting for the futurama eye phone

Lol

Actually I'd pay 2k for contact lenses with wireless display and cameras built in

Good news everyone mixed with excellent smithers brought to you by moms

On 1/4/2019 at 10:08 PM, D13H4RD said:

For light workloads they don’t involve heavy productivity or gaming, sure

But anything heavier and I don’t think Android in its current form holds up, especially since tablets and Android have historically not mixed too well

Right. Like I said. The majority of users.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 1/5/2019 at 11:32 PM, pas008 said:

I'm still waiting for the futurama eye phone

Lol

Actually I'd pay 2k for contact lenses with wireless display and cameras built in

Good news everyone mixed with excellent smithers brought to you by moms

I don’t want to kill your buzz but this sounds like a huge traffic hazard. 

10 hours ago, kokakolia said:

I don’t want to kill your buzz but this sounds like a huge traffic hazard. 

depends if used correctly yes but then again I might not have to drive in traffic soon lol

but I'd like to have mine for knowledge assistant/augmented reality

19 minutes ago, pas008 said:

depends if used correctly yes but then again I might not have to drive in traffic soon lol

but I'd like to have mine for knowledge assistant/augmented reality

In a work setting it looks useful. I wouldn’t want my Twitter feed and Reddit jammed into my eyeball. I also wonder how movies would look like.

On 1/3/2019 at 2:40 AM, handymanshandle said:

The Power of the Asterisk is almighty.

Hahaha yes!

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D