Not getting 300 Mbps I paid, could it be the modem?

cesarbg

So, let me explain and hope some of you could help me solve this problem.

I recently contracted and installed a 300Mbps and with 30Mbps upload internet connection via optic fiber that also provides telephone and HD TV from TotalPlay, a Mexican ISP (I live in Mexico). The moment they finished with the installation, I was told to verify the Internet speed, which I did by using my phone (Moto G6 Plus). It was getting barely 36Mbps,and they told me I could only get the 300Mbps via Ethernet. I checked and it was correct, I was getting 260-320 Mbps, which was ok by me, I know I won't get 300 steady.

Since then, I get the speed via wired internet. But all my Wi-Fi devices get roughly 30-43 Mbps (see pics below), even the same pc I plug it wired:

43697978_1motog6.thumb.png.9fe1e90945ebecc22bc729ce91cbb5cd.png

Moto G6 Plus

224555179_2ipadmini.thumb.jpg.7fdce7c2f74f28105be02d17b1aa498e.jpg

iPad Mini 1

1102165144_3Winpcwifi.thumb.jpg.0a2d48d4bcf8078456dba614ff451d0c.jpg

Windows PC (Wi-Fi, TPLink TL-WN781ND 150 Mbps adapter)

2045770603_4Winpcwired.thumb.jpg.49a6e9af1efc902d9cd4845a27496c93.jpg

Windows PC with ethernet

The modem they provided is a Huawei HG8245H:

Huawei-indoor-ONT-HG8245H.jpg

I have tried the following to see if the modem is the problem:

1. Connected a TP Link router via ethernet, and measured the internet from the TPLink modem via ethernet, getting the same almost 300Mbps result, improving a bit with wireless (over 40Mbps)
  2. Changed the channel and frequency in the original Huawei modem, tried with different channels, using the ones not cluttered in my area (not many anyways), and chaning the channel width from AUTO to 20 and 40 Mhz
  3. The SSID mode is in "802.11b/g/n"
  4. Working mode is set to "Normal", but there is "Anti-interference" mode (not tried)
  5. TX Power set to 100%
  6. I have reset the modem to factory settings, but I still get the same results.

Could it be that the devices cannot get the total speed of 300Mbps because of the Wi-fi chips? I doubt this, as my university connection is almost the same (200Mbps) and have been able to make it work with my Moto G6 Plus phone and a MacBook Air that also has problems here.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

17 minutes ago, cesarbg said:

The SSID mode is in "802.11b/g/n"

40-50Mbps is normal with 802.11n. You need 802.11ac or newer and have a very strong signal to reach 200Mbps+ on WiFi.

I have the exact model of fiber gateway as you. I'm getting around 50mbps on wireless and 200mbps on LAN.

The wireless signal is not that great, can only do full speed on clear area (1 room) without barriers.

In another room its down to 30mbps. And it is non existance with 3 walls barrier.

If you're asking high performance with this router, than don't.

The max wifi speed rating is 72mbps even in close range.

I suggest you get a wifi signal extender or upgrade your router to 5ghz.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Seeing how the device is on N for wireless, I doubt the chip can handle 300mbps. 

I would purchase your own router is possible.

WiFi will never be capable of such speeds on 801.11n, if you want WiFi at AC speeds you will need to invest in an AC capable access point.

It's not necessarily the ISPs fault but it is a cost cutting exercise by most broadband providers to improve profits by selecting older or poorly spec'd units.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

14 minutes ago, badreg said:

40-50Mbps is normal with 802.11n. You need 802.11ac or newer and have a very strong signal to reach 200Mbps+ on WiFi.

Any TP Link model you'd suggest that could help this to happen? It's easier here to get TP Link, but another brand could also do the trick. Thanks!

13 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

I have the exact model of fiber gateway as you. I'm getting around 50mbps on wireless and 200mbps on LAN.

The wireless signal is not that great, can only do full speed on clear area (1 room) without barriers.

In another room its down to 30mbps. And it is non existance with 3 walls barrier.

If you're asking high performance with this router, than don't.

The max wifi speed rating is 72mbps even in close range.

I suggest you get a wifi signal extender or upgrade your router to 5ghz.

Thanks for your help! Could you suggest one TPLink router that could get me closer to the speed?

10 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Seeing how the device is on N for wireless, I doubt the chip can handle 300mbps. 

I would purchase your own router is possible.

Thanks! Which router would you suggest?

10 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

WiFi will never be capable of such speeds on 801.11n, if you want WiFi at AC speeds you will need to invest in an AC capable access point.

It's not necessarily the ISPs fault but it is a cost cutting exercise by most broadband providers to improve profits by selecting older or poorly spec'd units.

Which AC would you recommend that could get me closer to those speeds?

Thanks to all!

1 minute ago, cesarbg said:

Any TP Link model you'd suggest that could help this to happen? It's easier here to get TP Link, but another brand could also do the trick. Thanks!

Thanks for your help! Could you suggest one TPLink router that could get me closer to the speed?

Thanks to all!

Probably suggest Ubiquiti (through personal preference) and their AC Pro access point;

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/

They also do an AC Lite which is cheaper isn't as capable.

Make sure your devices are AC compliant and are running on 5Ghz, take in to account that 5Ghz does NOT transverse walls or solid objects very well regardless of what access point you have.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

7 hours ago, cesarbg said:

Thanks to all!

Router brand doesn't matter, what matter is the internals (chipset), just like branded laptop, the internal is just the same, what matter is the configurations.

TP-Link is a popular budget networking device, for the same specs usually they are cheaper.

There are plethora of options in the TP Link arsenal, it all depends on your budget.

Be aware that using 5ghz doesn't mean you can have a longer signal, for the nature of the higher frequency it tends to be shorter but faster in speed.

To compensate for the short distance they have multiple antennas.

2-3 antennas usually good for 1 or 2 rooms it can goes up to 6 or even 8, along with the price.

And you have to make sure your devices / wifi dongles support AC (dual band 2.4ghz / 5ghz), otherwise you can only get N (up to 450mbps).

For budget, Archer C7 is a good option for only $80, for high end AC5400 for $300.

Another option is to get the cheapest AC router and some AC wifi extender for any additional rooms for $30 each.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

12 hours ago, cesarbg said:

So, let me explain and hope some of you could help me solve this problem.

I recently contracted and installed a 300Mbps and with 30Mbps upload internet connection via optic fiber that also provides telephone and HD TV from TotalPlay, a Mexican ISP (I live in Mexico). The moment they finished with the installation, I was told to verify the Internet speed, which I did by using my phone (Moto G6 Plus). It was getting barely 36Mbps,and they told me I could only get the 300Mbps via Ethernet. I checked and it was correct, I was getting 260-320 Mbps, which was ok by me, I know I won't get 300 steady.

Since then, I get the speed via wired internet. But all my Wi-Fi devices get roughly 30-43 Mbps (see pics below), even the same pc I plug it wired:

43697978_1motog6.thumb.png.9fe1e90945ebecc22bc729ce91cbb5cd.png

Moto G6 Plus

224555179_2ipadmini.thumb.jpg.7fdce7c2f74f28105be02d17b1aa498e.jpg

iPad Mini 1

1102165144_3Winpcwifi.thumb.jpg.0a2d48d4bcf8078456dba614ff451d0c.jpg

Windows PC (Wi-Fi, TPLink TL-WN781ND 150 Mbps adapter)

2045770603_4Winpcwired.thumb.jpg.49a6e9af1efc902d9cd4845a27496c93.jpg

Windows PC with ethernet

The modem they provided is a Huawei HG8245H:

Huawei-indoor-ONT-HG8245H.jpg

I have tried the following to see if the modem is the problem:

1. Connected a TP Link router via ethernet, and measured the internet from the TPLink modem via ethernet, getting the same almost 300Mbps result, improving a bit with wireless (over 40Mbps)
  2. Changed the channel and frequency in the original Huawei modem, tried with different channels, using the ones not cluttered in my area (not many anyways), and chaning the channel width from AUTO to 20 and 40 Mhz
  3. The SSID mode is in "802.11b/g/n"
  4. Working mode is set to "Normal", but there is "Anti-interference" mode (not tried)
  5. TX Power set to 100%
  6. I have reset the modem to factory settings, but I still get the same results.

Could it be that the devices cannot get the total speed of 300Mbps because of the Wi-fi chips? I doubt this, as my university connection is almost the same (200Mbps) and have been able to make it work with my Moto G6 Plus phone and a MacBook Air that also has problems here.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The devices that are connected via wifi are fine. You used 802.11n. The wired connection could be the cable you used, the box it self (it is a router, access point and switch combined in to one device, that is why I do not call it a router or modem), or your connection to the ISP which just can't handle a higher throughput. Just because your ISP says you get 300 Mbit, doesn't mean your connection can handle that bandwidth. I'd buy a new combo box, that supports AC wifi and has gigabit RJ45 ports. The one you showed looks kinda cheap

Some people in this thread seem to be overlooking the fact that this is a fibre optic connection, which means an ONT has to be used somewhere. In this case the Huawei unit is the ONT being used, so we can't actually remove that, we have to augment it. My suggestion would be to disable the wifi on the Huawei and to buy an 802.11ac wave 2 access point to improve the wifi speeds. You won't be able to actually replace the Huawei unit as it is hardwired in.

17 minutes ago, NEXUS2345 said:

. My suggestion would be to disable the wifi on the Huawei and to buy an 802.11ac wave 2 access point to improve the wifi speeds.

That would be my approach as well.

Plus OP you are using the cheapest wireless adapters ( TL-WN781ND ) you could find which also compounds your issue.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

• 4 months later...

Hola CesarBG, yo tengo al igual que tu el mismo módem de Total Play. Me dio flojera leer todas las posibles respuestas que te hayan puesto, pero te comento lo siguiente:

Debido a que el módem que nos proporciona Total Play es solo 2.4Ghz nunca vas a obtener mas de 50Mbs de bajada en cualquier dispositivo vía WiFi. Sin embargo, y como tu mismo ya lo has validado, conectado por cable, si obtienes la velocidad contratada real (en mi caso, 200Mb).

Si quieres mejorar la velocidad en tus dispositivos vía WiFi, te recomiendo comprar un Router que tenga Dual Band, es decir, 2.4Ghz - 5Ghz, o también llamados AC. Yo en lo personal compre el TP-Link AC1200 Archer C50, que puedes encontrar entre $750 y $1,000 pesos en México, su relación Calidad - Precio es buena. Con este router AC o Dual Band, podrás obtener hasta 95Mbs de Bajada y unos 15Mbs de Subida vía Wifi por la Banda 5Ghz. Sobra mencionar que para poder utilizar este protocolo, tus dispositivos (celulares, laptops, iPads, tablets, etc.) deben ser Dual Band o AC, aunque la mayoría de los dispositivos mas recientes y de gama media o media alta hacia arriba ya lo son.

Ahora, debido a que ni el Modem Huawei ni el Router Tp Link son Gigabit, no podrás obtener mas de 99 Mbs vía Wifi, pero creo que de tener 30 y tantos, a subir a 95, ya es bastante.

Saludos, espero que para el tiempo que escribírouter-dual-band-wireless-ac1200-tp-link-archer-c50-D_NQ_NP_869332-MLM26848247201_022018-F.jpg.bb5d5368150cde5f06a65de5795f357f.jpg

El Router que te recomiendo

20190516_213615.thumb.jpg.19e4e103d0d9a50e25d5d22ad64a2032.jpg

Velocidad conectado al Módem Router de Total Play via 2.4Ghz

20190516_213712.thumb.jpg.cb474327ea5ba29069c02fcdaaeef37b.jpg

Velocidad conectado al Router TP Link via 5Ghz