Hackintosh help?

Lil Ramen

Hey, so I have this PC I am fixing up, got it for free btw.

It came with an I3 2120, 4 GB RAM, and a 500 GB HDD. 

The 500 GB HDD was broken so I got it for free. 

I put in $13 for a new HDD, soon $7 for a connector to actually plug in the HDD (the PSU in the system is fucking retarded and has no SATA connector on a 240w PSU), and if that works another $13 for a simple HD 7570.

It is an OEM HP RP5800. OEM Mobo & parts for now, I will probably put in an extra 12/16 GB RAM that I have spare. I was wondering if this PC works, if it'd be compatible with Hackintosh, I have heard stuff about sound cards being incompatible with MacOS. I've seen tutorials on how to set up AMD cards on Hackintosh, but I haven't found a definitive best tutorial to install Hackintosh on a system like this. 

Before I get shit for an HD 7570 btw it's a SFF case and the 7570 I found for $13 is low profile.

Have you tried installing osx on it? Thats the easy way to know. From the systems i have tried my bet would be it works, but may take a external network and sound card. Just give it a try.

I think the method to use is UniBeast. I’d follow the guide on (I think) TonyMac86 or something? 

I wouldnt bother with any distros.

15 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Have you tried installing osx on it? Thats the easy way to know. From the systems i have tried my bet would be it works, but may take a external network and sound card. Just give it a try.

Yeah it doesn't have wifi so i'd have to do it at the family workstation, the adapter for the HDD is in the mail now, and it might take a bit so I am looking for good tutorials 

Just now, RorzNZ said:

I think the method to use is UniBeast. I’d follow the guide on (I think) TonyMac86 or something? 

I wouldnt bother with any distros.

I've heard that in some discord servers and sites it's not allowed to talk about TonyMac86

The most crucial part of building a hackintosh is the motherboard. Ensure the motherboard is supported by the community.

Chances that OEM motherboards will install hackintosh is pretty slim.

You'll have a good chances with Gigabyte or Asus motherboards, as they will need less configurations to run.

For GPU, AMD gpus are generally working out of the box (especially if its listed in the real apple pc).

Before buying anything please browse OSX86.com or Tonymac86 for parts compability.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

You'll have a good chances with Gigabyte or Asus motherboards, as they will need less configurations to run.

I think Linus mentioned in his Hackintosh build log that Gigabyte's tend to be the best for Hackintoshes

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I think Linus mentioned in his Hackintosh build log that Gigabyte's tend to be the best for Hackintoshes

It used to be the go to brand for Hackintosh prior to Mavericks, but i see Asus catching up.

Yeah for absolute best is Gigabyte, they just work, i don't know, maybe apple secretly outsourced the component from gigabyte?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Ideally you’d look for Gigabyte motherboards, AMD graphics cards or NVIDIA 6xx/7xx, Broadcom WiFi/Bluetooth. Some Atheros work too. These all work oob. If you are looking for laptops,  Dell work best, you’re pretty much looking for the most Intel laptop, like for chipset, NIC etc.

20 minutes ago, Lil Ramen said:

I've heard that in some discord servers and sites it's not allowed to talk about TonyMac86

It’s a bit naughty because traditionally it’s getting directly MacOS on a non-Apple computer, rather than modifying the OS for the system. Its the best way now however, unless you have an old system. You should follow their guides they have for Sandy Bridge. 

8 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

i don't know, maybe apple secretly outsourced the component from gigabyte?

I mean Gigabyte has been crushing ASUS on the Motherboard line up nowadays in every segment and chipset... ASUS kinda lost itself on Razer fever... investing in marketing is easier than investing in actual quality.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

53 minutes ago, Lil Ramen said:

yes as mentioned above, motherboard is the the most important for hackintosh compatibility (as long as you have an intel cpu) I got mine to work on my MSI board on my last build. I also have seen around that gigabyte boards usually work the best, no idea why but my msi board was a pain to get my integrated graphics to work properly and audio. Hackintoshing takes a lot of time and troubleshooting to get things working, especially if you're learning for the first time. 

I don't imagine that a generic pre built motherboard will work very well, but noone can say for sure, its definitely one of those things you try and see. tonymacx86 is usually a good place to start and theres lots of help available on the forums (their mods are pretty strict, but helpful) 

good luck

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

20 minutes ago, Laurens406 said:

I tried so hard for 2 years to get this to work and it never did. I really wish it would work but It does not. Just go buy a Mac

I got this PC so far for free, put $33 into it by the end, so no.

19 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

The most crucial part of building a hackintosh is the motherboard. Ensure the motherboard is supported by the community.

Chances that OEM motherboards will install hackintosh is pretty slim.

For GPU, AMD gpus are generally working out of the box (especially if its listed in the real apple pc).

Before buying anything please browse OSX86.com or Tonymac86 for parts compability.

I'll look onto OSX86 

15 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Problem with Gigabyte and other 3rd party boards that aren't OEM is that they are hard as fuck to find for LGA1155, and when you do they are well over $100.

9 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

It used to be the go to brand for Hackintosh prior to Mavericks, but i see Asus catching up.

Yeah for absolute best is Gigabyte, they just work, i don't know, maybe apple secretly outsourced the component from gigabyte?

Wouldn't be surprised if they did, but it's probably just foxconn boards.

6 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Ideally you’d look for Gigabyte motherboards, AMD graphics cards or NVIDIA 6xx/7xx, Broadcom WiFi/Bluetooth. Some Atheros work too. These all work oob. If you are looking for laptops,  Dell work best, you’re pretty much looking for the most Intel laptop, like for chipset, NIC etc.

It’s a bit naughty because traditionally it’s getting directly MacOS on a non-Apple computer, rather than modifying the OS for the system. Its the best way now however, unless you have an old system. You should follow their guides they have for Sandy Bridge. 

I've heard that GTX 6XX work out of the box, so I wouldn't mind a 650 TI, but 7XX don't work out of the box. Only problem with the 650 TI is that it's $40 comapred the the 7570's $13..

Also, I like it a bit naughty. 

I got my R5 1600 and 1050ti running Sierra on the first try. Running it on the worst motherboard brand ever - biostar.

AMD Hackintosh community has been working hard to put the system on par with intel.

Intel has the edge of having Quick Sync on final cut pro which AMD systems lacking.

But for everything else, its been good.

4 minutes ago, Lil Ramen said:

Problem with Gigabyte and other 3rd party boards that aren't OEM is that they are hard as fuck to find for LGA1155, and when you do they are well over $100.

You can try the used market, it has tons of lga1155 to choose.

Nobody sells brand new 1155 boards anymore.

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

You can try the used market, it has tons of lga1155 to choose.

Nobody sells brand new 1155 boards anymore.

I was talking about the used market.

20 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

I got my R5 1600 and 1050ti running Sierra on the first try. Running it on the worst motherboard brand ever - biostar.

AMD Hackintosh community has been working hard to put the system on par with intel.

Intel has the edge of having Quick Sync on final cut pro which AMD systems lacking.

But for everything else, its been good.

That sounds like a powerful build for Hackintosh. I kinda want to run this thing on both windows and hackintosh, but if I can't that's fine. I have the 2 HDDs i'd need. 

26 minutes ago, Lil Ramen said:

I've heard that GTX 6XX work out of the box, so I wouldn't mind a 650 TI, but 7XX don't work out of the box. Only problem with the 650 TI is that it's $40 comapred the the 7570's $13..

Also, I like it a bit naughty. 

Maybe it was select 7xx. I know the 770 and 780 should work oob, have heard lots of success with 760 as well. 

5 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Maybe it was select 7xx. I know the 770 and 780 should work oob, have heard lots of success with 760 as well. 

Huh. Apple had to use the 680 Mac Edition a while back and the 650M in a Macbook Pro.

7 minutes ago, Lil Ramen said:

That sounds like a powerful build for Hackintosh. I kinda want to run this thing on both windows and hackintosh, but if I can't that's fine. I have the 2 HDDs i'd need. 

compability is more important than sheer performance in hackintosh.

The main idea is to get your PC running 100% compatible with OSX, after that you can play around with performance.

To boot in dual OS, i suggest getting 2 hdd, each running its own boot loader, meaning don't plug the other drive when installing the OS.

To boot in either OS, you can choose the booting disk in BIOS, it will be cleaner and less headache.

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

compability is more important than sheer performance in hackintosh.

The main idea is to get your PC running 100% compatible with OSX, after that you can play around with performance.

To boot in dual OS, i suggest getting 2 hdd, each running its own boot loader, meaning don't plug the other drive when installing the OS.

To boot in either OS, you can choose the booting disk in BIOS, it will be cleaner and less headache.

I'd have to look into that. It'd be a semi competent e-sports build with the 650 or even 640 on Windows and a decent productivity build on MacOS.

7 minutes ago, Lil Ramen said:

Huh. Apple had to use the 680 Mac Edition a while back and the 650M in a Macbook Pro.

A while back they extended their support of Nvidia cards, but now it’s back to AMD. Tony has the full support list.

If you mean semi-competent running at low settings and below 60 fps, yes it will.

gtx 650 is very poor performer by today's standard.

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

If you mean semi-competent running at low settings and below 60 fps, yes it will.

gtx 650 is very poor performer by today's standard.

It's better than my R7 250 that I have in my Phenom II build, and that can do 1080p Medium/High settings in games like CSGO and Fortnite