AT&T nerfing its 5G network, Speedtest results are similar to 4G

captain_to_fire
8 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

When NBN Co come knocking your only practical option is to get NBN, the alternative is a third party point-to-point (high setup costs) or mobile broadband (low data caps). There’s nothing stopping RSPs from offering 1Gb other than the insane cost, MyRepublic did a gigabit trial in one of our cities but I don’t think it’s going very well.

You don't have to sign up to NBN, the installation in to the house is a separate set of work to the roll out down the street. You can have access to it and not actually have it.

8 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

You also have to remember that 100Mbps is completely serviceable, 99% of people have no need for any faster. Us tech folk like to froth over insane speeds but in reality its seldom required.

Of course but 1Gbps is a lot easier to market and pump up, bigger is better even when it isn't ?. You'll be surprised just how low the uptake actually is, for a long time here it was around 10% ish. People could get it and either didn't know about it or for some reason didn't want it or were fine with what they had, why change right?

Edit:

Seems NBN isn't doing too bad, 59% uptake atm.

https://www.nbnco.com.au/corporate-information/about-nbn-co/updates/dashboard-november

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Yep

Mate you're dreamin. Actually though I wouldn't rate either as better, where I am everyone is fine. Been over to Aus and encountered arses there just as much as here.

Yep, mind sending more over here?

Also yep

The the most important factor is only the people here can kill you not all the nature ?

Been to Aus and NZ before and can confirm this is correct.

27 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You don't have to sign up to NBN, the installation in to the house is a separate set of work to the roll out down the street. You can have access to it and not actually have it.

In the UK, the provider runs the connection to the only houses that want it (at least that's what happens with my ISP). I don't know if that "well you don't want or need this connection but we'll put it in anyway" strategy is a giant marketing ploy or if it's just the cable company trying to expand their network as much as possible. 

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Yeah but you lose access to your prior ADSL connection - what I said before still stands.

33 minutes ago, 1kv said:

I don't know if that "well you don't want or need this connection but we'll put it in anyway" strategy is a giant marketing ploy or if it's just the cable company trying to expand their network as much as possible. 

It's a government project and they're planning on rolling out the technology to something like 90+% of the population, so they're just installing the hardware pretty much everywhere.

48 minutes ago, leadeater said:

If you want to keep a landline phone or have a fixed line internet service you have to sign up for it. The existing PSTN gets shut down about 18 months after NBN work is complete in the area.

49 minutes ago, leadeater said:

image.png.616aac3092dae79f30772d9af82c6884.png

I love the installation success rate graph. A while back they ran stupid ads on TV patting themselves on the back that were along the lines of "We're improving our installation methods and better training our technicians, so now services will be connected properly the first time almost 90% of the time".

The ad may as well have just said:
"10% of the time we have no fucking clue what we're doing and you'll lose your existing connection for months while we try to figure it out. I know what you're thinking. Did the technicians stuff up 6 of your neighbours connections, or only 5? To tell you the truth in the confusion of changing Prime Ministers every 5 minutes, I've lost track myself. Considering even if you do get connected you might still lose the FTTN lottery if you're too far away from a node and end up worse off than your current ADSL connection... You've got to ask yourself one question. 'Do I feel lucky?'... Well, do you, Punk?"

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

40 minutes ago, Spotty said:

If you want to keep a landline phone or have a fixed line internet service you have to sign up for it. The existing PSTN gets shut down about 18 months after NBN work is complete in the area.

RIP, here you could keep both. They are planning on pulling out the old copper network around 2020 though.

4 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Not too fussed about the nature. Grew up on a farm so not much to miss out on. In AU still mowed the lawns barefoot and didn't use gloves when weeding as usual. Turns out the latter was needed when the ants bite hard. My sister tried weeding when I went away and had to get some steroid cream lol. Turns out those ants should have concerned me a bit more. 

You're keeping that misconception going, that every animal in Australia is dangerous, nice work. ?

4 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

In saying that, while it is not as good as it could be, it is a lot better than the shit we had pre-NBN with Telstra monopolising the country and leaving everyone to rot on ADSL2. 

Yeah, Telstra is interesting, they were operated by the government so it was an intrinsic monopoly. At some stage they decided to make in a public and independent company and so as a result we have much better competition, though Telstra is still the premium option by most people's standards.

18 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Fun fact: that download speed is nearly twice as fast as Australia's maximum consumer NBN speeds...when on one of the few fiber parts of it.

I've never understood why one of the richest countries in the world has such poor internet connectivity. 

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

3 hours ago, Juanitology said:

I've never understood why one of the richest countries in the world has such poor internet connectivity. 

I agree. We’re a developing country and yet fiber optic deployment is fast (too bad LTE rollout is slow). I can choose to get 100⬇️/50⬆️ FTT(x) internet for only $60 in a rural area. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

13 hours ago, Spotty said:

"We're improving our installation methods and better training our technicians, so now services will be connected properly the first time almost 90% of the time".

Oh yeah...I remember that commercial...that was bad, maybe points for honesty?

5 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Oh yeah...I remember that commercial...that was bad, maybe points for honesty?

Like these? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

5 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Like these? 

No, they are bad, that first ad was such a product of it's time, MySpace, Rockband and old style YouTube, what an era. But this ad was worse I found the exact video, prepare yourselves, never forget @Spotty

The more I hear about 5G, the more I blame Executus for summoning me too soon...

But seriously, with the markup this is going to bring to devices... WHY?!

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

1 hour ago, TheUzu said:

Why is the upload so terrible.

774587F7-EC33-48BD-B6A9-7380E9B5D92F.thumb.png.e778a6baa708014a104391622dfa56dd.png

I only get about 12 Mbps via Cable, so Id say thats pretty good upload. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Oh noes!!!!1111!!!1! Only double the upload speed compared to 4G? THOSE MONSTERS! ?

-KuJoe