Techquickie error, about OEM windows

Enderman

1:00

OEM windows 10 can be transferred to any computer.

The OEM version has no restrictions to make it any different from a "retail" version.

Just like any other windows install, if you're changing the motherboard you just need to do this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

If you're changing any other component this isn't necessary.

In fact, even back with windows 7 I had no problem moving my OEM license to different hardware.

All of this "OEM can only be installed once" rumour is BS.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I noticed this too, glad you wrote something about it. 

I've been juggling the same OEM key for W7 between computers for like 6 years now 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Funny, everyone hated annotations but this is a classic example of when they’re actually useful, correcting little errors like this. Nice find.

Yep, that's right. You can even link your OEM Windows activation key to your Microsoft account if you need it for a new PC or something.

Tbh, I don't even watch Techquickie videos. Some videos are full of mistakes/errors, and lots are too oversimplified.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

I noticed this too, glad you wrote something about it. 

I've been juggling the same OEM key for W7 between computers for like 6 years now 

I wonder where the rumour started...

Maybe it was one time install on XP or something?

Or maybe it was just a rule on paper and not actually implemented?

There's several other cases where microsoft says "you can't do this" but they don't stop you at all, for example using windows for free.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

This is not a rumor nor is an error

Directly from the horse's mouth: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/uktechnet/2013/05/14/licensing-logic-whats-the-difference-between-oem-retail-and-volume-licenses/

OEM software is software that comes pre-installed when you purchase a new computer. So for instance when you purchase a new PC it might come with an OEM licensed copy of Windows 8.1 Pro pre-installed on it. One of the key benefits of this is that you then know that the software has been installed correctly and is working properly and if there are any issues it is the responsibility of the computer manufacturer or installer to provide support rather than Microsoft.

Again, OEM software usage is ruled by the Microsoft Software Licence Terms document. So for instance it will detail that with Windows 8.1 Pro licensed via OEM you do get limited downgrade rights in that you can downgrade as far back as two earlier versions if you so desire, either to Windows 7 Professional or Windows Vista Business. But that there are no transfer rights, so the software may not be removed from the PC it was originally installed on and installed on another, however, you are allowed to transfer the PC complete with the OEM licensed software to a new user if required.

You, sir, are in error

2 minutes ago, bitsandpieces said:

Directly from the horse's mouth: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/uktechnet/2013/05/14/licensing-logic-whats-the-difference-between-oem-retail-and-volume-licenses/

You, sir, are in error

So according to that it is simply another "you can't do this but we won't stop you" thing.

Which explains why you can move it to any other computer with no problem.

So in fact, I am not wrong :)

Spoiler

TechQuickie videos are full of errors, I don't watch them anymore after few weeks after launch. 

There was the one about the audio jack not transferring video, which it does (Done it myself with a Nokia N97 and a prototype glasses set). 

8 minutes ago, bitsandpieces said:

OEM Windows keys can be transferred, I'm using a W10 OEM key on my current PC (which means that Techquickie was wrong).

So [not being able to transfer your Windows OEM key] is a rumour.

10 minutes ago, bitsandpieces said:

But that there are no transfer rights, so the software may not be removed from the PC it was originally installed on and installed on another, however, you are allowed to transfer the PC complete with the OEM licensed software to a new user if required.

So you CAN transfer your OEM key, but you aren't ALLOWED to do so (even though no one cares if you do it). 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

29 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

TechQuickie videos are full of errors, I don't watch them anymore after few weeks after launch.

News to me, I'll have to be a little more careful in what I take away from their videos now...

11 hours ago, r2724r16 said:

OEM Windows keys can be transferred, I'm using a W10 OEM key on my current PC (which means that Techquickie was wrong).

So [not being able to transfer your Windows OEM key] is a rumour.

So you CAN transfer your OEM key, but you aren't ALLOWED to do so (even though no one cares if you do it). 

You, sir, are incorrect just as the OP, and few others

Nowhere does it say you can transfer just the OEM licence; where in fact it said that the licence is transferred with the original PC it was attached to

Circumventing or ignoring the TOS doesn't make them invalid

5 hours ago, bitsandpieces said:

Nowhere does it say you can transfer just the OEM licence; where in fact it said that the licence is transferred with the original PC it was attached to

I don't understand what you're trying to say. I'm using an OEM key on my main computer (which has been transferred from a prebuilt), on my laptop, and on several other PCs.

Linus said at around 0:59 during the video that OEM keys can't be transferred, which is incorrect.

It doesn't matter what the TOS says lol.

5 hours ago, bitsandpieces said:

Linus and many other people have claimed that it "can't be transferred" when in fact it can.

There is nothing preventing you from installing and activating it on another PC.

Just like there is nothing preventing you from using windows without activating, or using windows in virtual machines, or making multiple backups, etc.

Spoiler

6 hours ago, bitsandpieces said:

In some jurisdictions, the hardware restriction of OEM licenses is illegal, so there has to be a mechanism to move them. Germany is one such jurisdiction.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

1 hour ago, r2724r16 said:

I don't understand what you're trying to say. I'm using an OEM key on my main computer (which has been transferred from a prebuilt), on my laptop, and on several other PCs.

Linus said at around 0:59 during the video that OEM keys can't be transferred, which is incorrect.

It doesn't matter what the TOS says lol.

they have to follow what it says on the ToS. otherwise they are telling people how to circumvent it, which could actually get them in trouble with microsoft.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

50 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

they have to follow what it says on the ToS. otherwise they are telling people how to circumvent it, which could actually get them in trouble with microsoft.

Well if LTT has to spread a rumour in order to follow the TOS, why make this video in the first place? 

And it's not like LTT has a partnership with Microsoft, they don't care what's on the TOS.

2 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

The video literally describes using windows 10 without activating, and using gray market keys to activate it.

They also have other videos on running it on virtual machines and other stuff like that.

You think they care what is on the TOS?

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Enderman said:

The video literally describes using windows 10 without activating, and using gray market keys to activate it.

They also have other videos on running it on virtual machines and other stuff like that.

You think they care what is on the TOS?

i havent actually watched it.  techquickie got shitty pretty fast. i'd just assume as much.  and running it w/out activating isnt actually against tos as far as im aware. and grey market sites have legit keys, so i dont believe it is either.  grey market sites are just sketchy cuz theyre purchased with stolen credit cards.

not saying they werent just blatently wrong(wouldnt be the first time), just offering an alternate opinion giving benefit of the doubt 

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

On 1/2/2019 at 7:21 AM, Enderman said:

1:00

OEM windows 10 can be transferred to any computer.

The OEM version has no restrictions to make it any different from a "retail" version.

Just like any other windows install, if you're changing the motherboard you just need to do this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

If you're changing any other component this isn't necessary.

In fact, even back with windows 7 I had no problem moving my OEM license to different hardware.

All of this "OEM can only be installed once" rumour is BS.

My old rigs OEM copy of Windows 7 Home is a perfect example. Because this is the motherboards its been activated on (same install disc, same key):

• Asus H87M Pro
  • Asus Z97 Sabertooth MKII
  • Asus P5Q Turbo
  • Asus P5Q Deluxe
  • Gigabyte H97 HD3
  • Gigabyte Z87P D3 rev 1.0 (the non shitty version)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

43 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

My old rigs OEM copy of Windows 7 Home is a perfect example. Because this is the motherboards its been activated on (same install disc, same key?

• Asus H87M Pro 
  • Asus Z97 Sabertooth MKII
  • Asus P5Q Turbo
  • Asus P5Q Deluxe
  • Gigabyte H97 HD3 
  • Gigabyte Z87P D3 rev 1.0 (the non shitty version) 

Interesting, did you have to any reactivation processes when swapping the motherboard or have those issues only arisen with Windows 10 licenses? It goes to show though, OEM Windows can be transferred.

Just for clarity also. Are you using a tool to view the OEM Windows license or are you just removing the hard-drive physically into a new machine and then reinstalling from there?

12 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Interesting, did you have to any reactivation processes when swapping the motherboard or have those issues only arisen with Windows 10 licenses? It goes to show though, OEM Windows can be transferred.

Just for clarity also. Are you using a tool to view the OEM Windows license or are you just removing the hard-drive physically into a new machine and then reinstalling from there?

The only difference between OEM and retail is customer support.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

23 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

The only difference between OEM and retail is customer support. 

So how do you get the product key?

4 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

So how do you get the product key?

You just use the same one, it's on the OEM box.

Or use a key finder to get it out from your OS before clean installing.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

You just use the same one, it's on the OEM box.

Or use a key finder to get it out from your OS before clean installing.

Oh cool, I've used a key finder in the past but wasn't aware it was in the box too, thanks for that.

3 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Oh cool, I've used a key finder in the past but wasn't aware it was in the box too, thanks for that.

Well, how did you first activate it if you didn't know the key was on the box? :P

I've used two key finders recently to get a key out of a windows 7 system before clean install (both keyfinders worked perfectly and found the same key).

I then used the key to activate a new windows 10 installation.

Now windows 10 pro is fully activated :)

Spoiler