Ram Suggestion

Hello All,

Long time lurker and big LTT Fan. Ill get straight to the point. 

What is The best Ram I can get for Ryzen 2700x?

• I mainly game, but i do some solidworks stuff for work "occasionally." (PUBG, BF5, Warframe, Monster Hunter)
  • Budget: <$400 
  • Prefer to keep 32GB but not necessary
  • Currently RAM is white, but color is 2ndary to speed. NOT OC'd cuz when i try it the computer becomes unstable
  • Currently CPU OC'd to 4.15 stable. Would like to get more? 2? 2.5? 

Backstory: Just started building and modding my computer for the last 2 years. New to the hobby and there are tons of information on the subject, but i need some hand-holding. Im new to overclocking as well and the whole computer lifestyle. Please feel free to educate me if you see something off.

Current Build

Case: Corsair 570x

FANS: 6x Corsair 120mm RGB Fans (Not including CPU & PSU)

MOBO: MSI X470 Gaming Plus (has latest BIOS)

CPU: Ryzen 2700x

CPU Cooler:Thermaltake Contac Silent w/ Corsair 120mm FAN

GPU: Asus Strix 2080

PSU: Corsair CX750

RAM: Corsair Vengence 32GB DDR4 2666 CMU32GX4M4A2666C16

Again, please feel free to educate me in the ways :D

Newegg has some good sales on RAM right now actually check them out. 

Maybe someone can elaborate on if there is an advantage/disadvantage to running 2 sticks or 4 of RAM.  

In my research of the subject of RAM speed performance gain with Ryzen CPU's it seems that anything over 3200 speed, while can give you improvements, isn't really worth the price.  With some of the deals at newegg you can get either 16x2 or 8x4 kits of 3200 speed RAM for under $300. 

1 hour ago, pstarlord said:

Newegg has some good sales on RAM right now actually check them out. 

Maybe someone can elaborate on if there is an advantage/disadvantage to running 2 sticks or 4 of RAM.  

In my research of the subject of RAM speed performance gain with Ryzen CPU's it seems that anything over 3200 speed, while can give you improvements, isn't really worth the price.  With some of the deals at newegg you can get either 16x2 or 8x4 kits of 3200 speed RAM for under $300. 

Thanks for the advice. I guess my problem is... cl15 cl16 or whayever those things mean. Im okay with the 3200mhz.

Lastly my mobo says it can go to a capable of 3466mhz? Is that something i want to push?

1 hour ago, xsShingo said:

Thanks for the advice. I guess my problem is... cl15 cl16 or whayever those things mean. Im okay with the 3200mhz.

Lastly my mobo says it can go to a capable of 3466mhz? Is that something i want to push?

That CL15 and CL16 is what's known as CAS Latency, without getting into technical terms that I honestly don't understand, you typically want that to be a lower number to get the maximum speed from your RAM.  BUT, in gaming scenarios, you probably wont notice much of a difference.  

Your mobo could honestly probably support up to 3600 speed if you wanted to, but there's a pretty steep price increase there and again, probably not much (if any) gain to be had in gaming.  

Once upon a time, I did see someone put up a cool little formula that helped predict overall speed of a type of RAM based off of speed and CAS rating, but I can't remember it.  

If you are looking for new memory and do not want to go above 32 GB, then I would suggest the T-Force Night Hawk RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3XRzK8/team-t-force-night-hawk-rgb-32gb-2-x-16gb-ddr4-3000-memory-tf2d432g3000hc16cdc01

It is a kit containing two 16GB modules for a total of 32 GB and will run in dual channel mode. They are rated at 3000 MT/s which the 2700x automatically will use if in XMP mode (my main system with my 2700x also runs memory at the same speed without overclocking). The cas latency is pretty good for the 2700x (you want to look for timings that start at 16). These are also white so you got aesthetics going for you as well with this memory. If you want more memory then go ahead and get another set of these as the Ryzen 7 2700x can use a maximum of 64GB and your motherboard has a total of 4 memory slots, it would make sense.

Ultimately it is up to you and you can really never do too much research.

On 1/1/2019 at 8:03 PM, Ykcud said:

If you are looking for new memory and do not want to go above 32 GB, then I would suggest the T-Force Night Hawk RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3XRzK8/team-t-force-night-hawk-rgb-32gb-2-x-16gb-ddr4-3000-memory-tf2d432g3000hc16cdc01

It is a kit containing two 16GB modules for a total of 32 GB and will run in dual channel mode. They are rated at 3000 MT/s which the 2700x automatically will use if in XMP mode (my main system with my 2700x also runs memory at the same speed without overclocking). The cas latency is pretty good for the 2700x (you want to look for timings that start at 16). These are also white so you got aesthetics going for you as well with this memory. If you want more memory then go ahead and get another set of these as the Ryzen 7 2700x can use a maximum of 64GB and your motherboard has a total of 4 memory slots, it would make sense.

Ultimately it is up to you and you can really never do too much research.

Thanks for the advice. I bought some more things and still kinda waiting on RAM prices to drop. 

Im in the middle of debating just getting 2x16gb then down the line getting a second set.

Now its all just finding the right ram.

Im still learning what XMP does on a more in-depth level. New to this OCing but slowly learning :D