Charge cycle increase while charging?

The Torrent

So mac its easy to check and you have to type some command in windows.

So my question is, as the title says, does the charge cycle still increase while charging? Because it shouldn't should it as the electricity should go straight from the wall outlet should it not?

Looking forward to your replies.

3 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

So mac its easy to check and you have to type some command in windows.

So my question is, as the title says, does the charge cycle still increase while charging? Because it shouldn't should it as the electricity should go straight from the wall outlet should it not?

Looking forward to your replies.

what do you mean by charge cycle? i don't get it

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

When connected to the outlet it directly powers the laptop.

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

2 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

When connected to the outlet it directly powers the laptop.

Yes? When plugged in it should power the laptop and usually charge the battery too. 

11 hours ago, r4tch3t said:

Yes? When plugged in it should power the laptop and usually charge the battery too. 

Yeah but it doesn't charge the battery when it is full so it shouldn't be counted as a charge cycle is what I'm saying.

6 hours ago, The Torrent said:

When connected to wall power, the energy consumed by your laptop doesn't increase its charge cycles. A charge cycle refers to the energy(or charge) provided by your battery while discharging. (with regards to convenience of measurement)

So if your laptop consumes some power when connected to the wall the battery is not being discharged so the it shouldn't affect charge cycles. 

If it is affecting charge cycles(which I am guessing is happening by your question / ignore if not happening) then it could be that there is a glitch that just calculates charge cycles by just dividing energy consumed by the total capacity of your battery. In that case the cycle count reading won't affect your battery's health.

5 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

When connected to wall power, the energy consumed by your laptop doesn't increase its charge cycles. A charge cycle refers to the energy(or charge) provided by your battery while discharging. (with regards to convenience of measurement)

So if your laptop consumes some power when connected to the wall the battery is not being discharged so the it shouldn't affect charge cycles. 

If it is affecting charge cycles(which I am guessing is happening by your question / ignore if not happening) then it could be that there is a glitch that just calculates charge cycles by just dividing energy consumed by the total capacity of your battery. In that case the cycle count reading won't affect your battery's health.

Ok thanks.

the reason I was asking was, because especially in mac’s, the charge cycle is used to show between sellers and buyers how much the laptop has actually been used, but now I see if you keep it plugged in it won’t affect the charge cycles hence people could be using computers they are selling a lot more that originally thought.

Many Thanks

The Charge Cycle count is accumulative based on how much energy was used overall. So if you use 50% of the charge from 100%, recharge it to full, and use it to 50% again, it counts as one charge, not two. See: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201585

EDIT: The battery will still self-discharge after being charged to 100% because the circuitry is no longer charging the battery. So depending on the rate of self-discharge, you can have the Charge Cycle counter go up if you leave the computer plugged in long enough.

9 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

The Charge Cycle count is accumulative based on how much energy was used overall. So if you use 50% of the charge from 100%, recharge it to full, and use it to 50% again, it counts as one charge, not two. See: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201585

EDIT: The battery will still self-discharge after being charged to 100% because the circuitry is no longer charging the battery. So depending on the rate of self-discharge, you can have the Charge Cycle counter go up if you leave the computer plugged in long enough.

so your telling me that even when plugged in on ac power the power for the pc is going through the battery??

seems to contradict everyone else on the internet.

Can you just confirm?

5 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

so your telling me that even when plugged in on ac power the power for the pc is going through the battery??

seems to contradict everyone else on the internet.

Can you just confirm?

When the battery is fully charged, the charger will stop supplying the battery with energy until it gets to a certain percentage due to self discharging (maybe like 99% or 98%) before it starts charging it again to top it off. So if this happens enough times, which will take a long time, it can still technically count as a charge cycle.

Edited by Mira Yurizaki

Cycling and Efficiency and toughness of something like a Diode Bro...You do not Understand Mr. Diode lol

2600x 4.3ghz-Loop

Msi X470 gaming plus

EVGA SuperSC CL16 3200 16gb

gtx 1060

pny nvme 480gb

mushkin eco3 480gb

Sound Blaster Audigy FX

Cooler Master GXII Pro 750w.

2 hours ago, JRzoid said:

Cycling and Efficiency and toughness of something like a Diode Bro...You do not Understand Mr. Diode lol

Wdym.