Favorite game you played in 2018?

SteveGrabowski0

For me it's hands down Super Mario Odyssey. I finally bought a Switch a couple of months ago basically to play this game and it did not disappoint. It is one of the most creative games I have ever played and my favorite Super Mario since the NES original. I pretty much loved everything about the game. The bright colors in the various worlds. The exploration to find all the moons. The music was outstanding. I especially loved all the bite sized 2D Mario sections. The game was impressive graphically and artistically. I even liked the motion controls through the split joycons with the different levels of sharp jolts vs dull rumbles from falls, running into things, and so on from the HD Rumble. And then the New Donk City celebration was the highlight of the game for me.

Time to jump on God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2 in the new year. If Shin Megami Tensei V doesn't come out in the west this year I imagine one of those two has a great shot to be my favorite game played in 2019.

Funnily enough for me it's gotta be Destiny 2, even thought I've pretty much got a love/hate relationship with it. It has some big issues, but the actual gunplay just feels so good and I absolutely love the universe and lore so I just keep coming back. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

For me personally im a massive fan of open world sort of make your own story kind of games and honestly the best game i bought this year has to be elite dangerous, i know its kind of old but the gameplay is incredible once you master the controls you can do anything and when you add VR into the equation apart from the *cough* dodgy menus that obviously haven't been made to work with VR the game is extraordinary it really makes you feel alone in the vast oblivion of space. 

Fortnite

/s

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

I had a blast with The Division, and They Are Billions is quickly coming up as a close second...even though I haven't been able to beat it on easy yet.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Rocket League, CSGO, KSP and Terraria.

Really hard to pick as I love all of those. 

Replaying all my old Point and Click adventures this holiday and through 2019.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Can't remember if it was this year that I replayed The Witcher 3... if yes, then this. Hands down no contest even after 3 years.

If not, then certainly Kingdom Come Deliverance was a lot of fun... in as low as 6 FPS.

X3 Albion Prelude is my classic that I gravitate back to every once in a while. I haven't had so much time with the sequels 

First half of Final Fantasy XV (Windows Edition) was great, but the game overall was repetitive and incredibly pigheadidly stubborn in certain aspects.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided deserv... actually no, it doesn't, it's portrayal of Prague was not so great and overall it was a huge disappointment. I think I played through Deus Ex Human Revolution before it, which was good.

I felt like replaying S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat this year, and had a surprisingly good time with it.

Overall, mostly not games from 2018. Or that you heard of. Or both.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

Somewhere between Octopath Traveller on Switch and Marvel's Spider-Man.

Can't mention Horizon Zero Dawn as it was last year...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

59 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Somewhere between Octopath Traveller on Switch and Marvel's Spider-Man.

Can't mention Horizon Zero Dawn as it was last year...

I was asking the best game you played this year. Not the best one to come out this year though.

10 hours ago, Paddi01 said:

Zelda BOTW on the Switch for sure.

Do you feel it's better with joycons or the Pro Controller?

19 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I was asking the best game you played this year. Not the best one to come out this year though.

Öhm, yeah, I played those.

Finished Spider Man with like 92% Completition in the Original Game (Messed up the Suit thing *ARGH*. ALWAYS BUY THE SUITS!, not the Upgrades).

And with Octopath Traveller I'm just at around Level 26 (Started with H'aanit and am at around 19:19), so here you can argue that I haven't played it but am playing it right now ;)

Horizon  Zero Dawn I played last year, when I got my PS4 with the game...

Played Overwatch more than anything else again but probably my favourite game I played in 2018 was Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Honorable mention to Thumper:

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Currently playing Real Life Episode 7556

And it sucks each time it received an update.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

12 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Do you feel it's better with joycons or the Pro Controller?

I play it with my DualShock 4 controller ?.

There is no comparison i can make but it's okay to play with joycons.

If I had to pick my second favorite game I played for the first time this year it would definitely be Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne. I managed to find a fully working PS2 at Goodwill a few months ago and what a library of games that system has. I think my top 5 I played this year (for the first time) would be:

1. Super Mario Odyssey on Switch

2. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne on PS2

3. Persona 3 FES on PS2

4. Yakuza 0 on PS4

5. Nier Gestalt on XBox 360

Damn I have played almost nothing but Japanese games this year.

17 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

And with Octopath Traveller I'm just at around Level 26 (Started with H'aanit and am at around 19:19), so here you can argue that I haven't played it but am playing it right now ;)

I can't decide between Ocotpath Traveler, Xenoblade Chronicles 1, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Kingdom Hearts, or The World Ends With You for the next big RPG I play. I want to play all of them but will probably get two, maybe three this year max (especially if Shin Megami Tensei V comes out in the west for 2019).

6 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I can't decide between Ocotpath Traveler, Xenoblade Chronicles 1, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Kingdom Hearts, or The World Ends With You for the next big RPG I play. I want to play all of them but will probably get two, maybe three this year max (especially if Shin Megami Tensei V comes out in the west for 2019).

Depends on what you like more.

Octopath Traveller looks like that for a reason. Because it exactly plays as it looks -> late 16bit JRPG/early 3D ones. Like Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9. Or Mystiq QUest Legend.

And it is also very grindy. One "Problem" I have is that you can't change the Protagonist. And there is no XP for "off Party members". 

Though Dragon Quest 11 also plays a bit similar as it is also an older, round based JRPG game like the other ones mentioned.

And the Boss Battles, when you got your party together are long, very long. Like in older JRPG Games as well. And you need to think about breaking their defense. That's a big part in Octopath Traveller...

So if you play it, I'd recommend that one of the first things to do is to get to the Job Shrines and get as many jobs as you can as soon as possible.And ignore the "Job Guides". They might be right about that the job fits the character best but for some bosses and mobs you need certain skills to be able to break their defenses...

And, obviously, its rather grindi. So you might be running around with your party to get your level up or for money to get better gear...

The "annoying" random accounters are of course what the combat is based on - like I said: It plays like it looks a lot.

Xenoblade Chronicles I've tried on the WiiU, but lets say the graphics are a bit special. And not something you'd like in this day and age. Xenoblade Chronicle X is a bit better and I played it a bit but somehow got stuck....

Kingdom Hearts I also tried for a couple of hours but I don't know yet though I didn't come very far...

I need to try it again and play it a bit more I think to really say something about that...

Currently I exclusively only play World of Tanks. That's the only game I play since 2015 till present, either the PC version or the Blitz version on mobile device, no other games..

Before World of Tanks it was only 3 games which I used to play,

1. Armored Core series since the 1st series in 1997 on Playstation 1st gen, which hooked me so strong until the 5th series, and this game makes me keep using the main antagonist AC pilot name from the 1st title "Huslter One" whose piloting the "Nine-Ball" AC..

459516276_NineBall.jpg.dfe8f3ea5713aae0ff74b1095f30deae.jpg

2. Monster Hunter series from 1st gen on PS2 until the 4th gen on Nintendo 3DS.

3. Gran Turismo series since 1st gen on Playstation 1st gen until the 6th series.

Then retired from them because tired of keep buying new console for the new series, then directly jump to World of Tanks.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

@SteveGrabowski0

LGR talks about Octopath Traveller. Should be a timed link.
If its not, starts at around 32min.