Will a 90Mhz clock difference make a an impressionable difference between 2 2080 Ti models in gaming?

LaboonTheWhale

Hey guys

So I got the EVGA 2080 Ti Black edition coming in since it was the only one I was able to snag while it was still in stock and I started browsing further into EVGA's other 2080 Ti's. The next step up is the 2 slot XC gaming version which is $200 more and has a 90Mhz boost clock difference (1545Mhz vs 1635Mhz) over the Black edition. and is clear/transparent vs the black edition.

I'm not looking to spend FTW3 prices and want to keep it 2 slot. Other than that Boost clock difference I don't see what justifies that $200 difference. I understand the plain black edition is a lesser binned chip so maybe wont OC very high. But Turing being a hot chip I doubt it'll get very high anyways.

The black edition is a lower binned "400" nVidia chip and the other EVGA cards are the higher binned "400a" nVidia chip.  The "400a" should overclock better.  There should will be a difference with both factory setting performance and overclocked performance.  I can't say if it will be noticeable to you.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

1 hour ago, TahoeDust said:

The black edition is a lower binned "400" nVidia chip and the other EVGA cards are the higher binned "400a" nVidia chip.  The "400a" should overclock better.  There should will be a difference with both factory setting performance and overclocked performance.  I can't say if it will be noticeable to you.

I understand there will be a difference say... the FTW3 and the black edition, but seeing how boost clocks are 90Mhz more under gpu boost, will it really push that far further?

like a 5 fps difference?

Probably no noticeable difference at all in actual gaming experience.  If you want to put it into FPS...maybe an average difference of say....2.   The cooling solution of your system will probably have more of an impact than those 90Mhz.  Also, keep in mind, a card might be advertised at X speed, and a boost of X+Y, but their real world performance is certainly within a ball park of that.   

In a synthetic work load, you may see an improved score on something like Cinebench, or some other test result, but in real gaming experience you will not notice anything because that would be within the margin of error of the card's performance from game to game.