The Forum's State of Decay.

miyabwah

I don't browse too many sections on this site so maybe I'm missing something but I don't see what all the fuss is about the forum going downhill.

This is still easily the most helpful, friendly forum I've ever been a part of.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Do not read this. Look left------>

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Is this a troll? look left and pointing to the right?

Also... when lotsa people enters a forum doesn't have the forum's "style" acquired yet... also... lol dunno what to say :L what can you do about this? Barely nothing. Just wait... Lots of things can happen

No. I just posted something and then decided I did not want to post it so put something else in there instead. 

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

@Lanoi

I just read a post about "the future of AMD 8 cores(FX line)". OP was wanting to get thoughts on what people were expecting out of the next unannounced AMD flagship.  One of the first immediate replies was, and I quote..."Most games don't even use 8 cores..so yeah." The topic wasn't even about gaming. Like was mentioned earlier in this 5 page topic, there are so many 15 year old PC gamer trolls. I'm sure a huge number of us game, but I didn't join this forum for gaming advice. I came to learn and communicate from a community of enthusiasts who love computing and computer hardware. It would be great to see these types of comments deleted and not contribute to these leechers' post count.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

I have felt the same way for a while now. Constant threads of "what gaming headset", "what gaming monitor" etc.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I do agree a bit with this, and I think the forum is going through puberty. 

The member count is growing larger each day, former users that helped keep a bit of fun and balance in the mix are gone and the forum is understaffed.

But at the same time, each new member brings a bit more life to the forum, as well as knowledge and curiosity. They all show promise, but as with any population influx, more and more trolls/ass***** join. Its just something we have to deal with, and it will get through this stage eventually.

ELEPHANT SEALS EVERYWHERE!

You know who doesn't like trolls? The moderating team. People could be trying to get help and the troll would just contribute nothing. We're trying to be a helpful forum accessible for everybody. If someone came on the forum to ask a question and a troll just came on, it'd ruin the person's impressions and we'd just be like another reddit to them. As a wise TheSLSAMG once said, "We're a tech forum, not reddit."

Wasn't that Dave:( who said that? (Not the moderator)

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

Well contrary to popular or unwise assumptions the Forum is not a place to live at or make your home. Forums are for the subject matter they represent and just that, trying to make it more than it is just leads to the inevitable disaster that all forums that cater to the "we will accept all possible click revenue and posts". If the forum was kept as a strict tech forum and those sections of the forum that have noting to do with tech were removed and anyone derailing to that point was banned, it would be a much better tech forum. But keeping it as a be all and everything is a recipe for eminent and certain disaster.

If people want to talk about something other than tech there are millions of forums for those subject matters and are much better for that subject matter since they specialize in it. Its like trying to learn Math in English (or insert the Language of your country) class, not going to go to well is it.

So if people who want a quality forum kept it in tech and only posted quality posts then yea, it will be a cool forum but if its just the same thing that is two threads down its going to go down to the sewers of the internet. That involves thinking and reading your post before you post, not just clicking post in some random forum section like many members do and then get bent when people ask if they are OK (as in can they read).

Lastly, the forum isn't a baby sitter but I'm sure there is a forum for that, so if you're bored go outside or read a book (on tech!) or a website on tech, then come back and share your new found knowledge (PS this is not the wikipedia of tech either so don't go there).

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Another comment that I have is that the forum experience really is what you make it.

If you hang out in Off Topic, you're going to see a lot of random, pointless... OFF TOPIC discussion...

If you hang out in other sections of the forum, you might see something like this: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/102357-im-about-ready-to-give-up/

What a great thread. Folks tripping over each other to be the first to help the OP in a supportive, positive manner.

I believe that by simply not participating in the negative stuff one can shut it out fairly easily.

Another comment that I have is that the forum experience really is what you make it.

If you hang out in Off Topic, you're going to see a lot of random, pointless... OFF TOPIC discussion...

If you hang out in other sections of the forum, you might see something like this: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/102357-im-about-ready-to-give-up/

What a great thread. Folks tripping over each other to be the first to help the OP in a supportive, positive manner.

I believe that by simply not participating in the negative stuff one can shut it out fairly easily.

You can only be in off topic for so long before you get bored.

The problem imo is that since so many people have joined, they post the same questions everyday, which gaming headset, do I need an i7? Best fans for case, does amd Suck?

I'm guessing most of joined because they like helping people, and back when the forum was younger, the questions being asked were "smarter", not a question that can be googled in 5seconds which a lot of people don't even do anymore.

Very interesting posts/qurstions still exist but the ratio to dumb questions has gone way up

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

"Dumb" questions might be raised for a number of reasons though. Someone may not want the Google answers and may be looking to see what the LTT community thinks or they may just be asking easy questions to engage with the community, that may be harder to understand for established members. In these instances it's really important to remain friendly as these are the kinds of questions that get Googled a lot and therefore viewed by the outside world the most.

If you suspect trolling or its an established member that should know better, the best thing you can do is not reply and report it, it will be locked and sink faster than a lead brick.

There is no way to prefilter this kind of stuff.

What I think this is really about is that IPB has a large social aspect to it, likes, statuses, profiles, galleries etc which is one of the things that makes it really fun. A large majority of the people here are of school age so there is a lot more interaction and bonding during holiday times when people from different timezones can interact a lot more than usual as they spend more time here. I notice threads like this popping up more frequently right after holidays as a result of people not having as much fun as they did before. Coincidence? I think not.

This also directly ties in with pointless or aggressive posts as people are usually more stressed or bored when they have to return to school or work.

I don't post huge amounts, but I'm online more than most. In my opinion the forum is as good as it's ever been if not better in some ways, it's just pits and troughs.

That is kind of how I feel. Reminiscing about how amazing the forum was a month ago won't help get rid of trolls or negativity. In fact it probably fuels it more than anything. But I still think that negativity can spread and if it is given room to grow then it will eventually get out of control.

I am just concerned that is all :)

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Do not read this. Look left------>

I definitely looked right. Kudos.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

Thank you :)

I used to live in TN.

I used to live in TN.

Cool. Lived near Jackson most my life but now I'm a couple hours south of Nashville. In the middle of nowhere now, so people like me enjoy to have a place where we can experience a tech-saavy forward thinking community that is not easy to find surrounded by farmers.(Didn't want to stray from the topic.ha!)

Cool. Lived near Jackson most my life but now I'm a couple hours south of Nashville. In the middle of nowhere now, so people like me enjoy to have a place where we can experience a tech-saavy forward thinking community that is not easy to find surrounded by farmers.(Didn't want to stray from the topic.ha!)

Cool! I lived about an hour south of Nashville also in the middle of nowhere where they was no tech or computers :(

• 2 weeks later...

The larger a group grows, the more time its members has to invest in getting to know the people in it; When it gets to the point where it's hard to remember or recognize people there will be significant drop in interest (or rather, a drop in enthusiasm, because the energy required to enjoy the forum pretty much increases exponentially). I still feel like I strongly belong in the new kids corner, so I apologize for probably being part of the reason for the increasing disinterest.

It's a lovely forum though, once you get to know the folks behind the usernames—you lot are all quite the unique individuals, aren't you.

You've contributed quite a bit and made a big impact on the community, especially with the new plugin you're coding, so I don't think you belong in the 'new kids corner' :P

GW2: Vettexl.9726