Fractal Define nano S, or Fractal define c? Case for my portable pc build.

Kgonepostl

I'm a pretty big guy, I don't mind the weight, I mind the size. I have a mid tower case and it's too difficult to transport to friends' houses, it's too big for me to transport, I constantly feel like I'm gonna drop it, it's very inconvenient. I want a mix of between a mid, and small case, so I can build/upgrade easily, but I can also bring it over to a friends house in my car. This is going to be a gaming/htpc build. I'm torn between the nano s, or define c. They seem very similar. Please lend me your opinions. Thanks!!

I'll kindly refer you to my bio

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

I'll kindly refer you to my bio

Based on my brief look at the reviews on newegg, I'd rather not go with that case. Thanks for your input though!! ?

1 minute ago, Kgonepostl said:

Based on my brief look at the reviews on newegg, I'd rather not go with that case. Thanks for your input though!! ?

I'm not sure what the reviews say, but I absolutely love this thing. What are the nay sayers on about?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Define C is a great frame, i really enjoy mine, just dont stuff it with as much watercooling as i did and you are good to go :P Northern Bee was pretty much hell to assemble even though it was fun it was not easy to make a 360 and a 240 rad + the rest of the freaking loop fit in there. 

This really comes down to if you want an ATX or ITX system though, the Nano S only takes ITX boards while the Define C will take an ATX board. There is also the Mini C that takes MATX boards which might be a nice compromise

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Define C is a great frame, i really enjoy mine, just dont stuff it with as much watercooling as i did and you are good to go :P Northern Bee was pretty much hell to assemble even though it was fun it was not easy to make a 360 and a 240 rad + the rest of the freaking loop fit in there. 

This really comes down to if you want an ATX or ITX system though, the Nano S only takes ITX boards while the Define C will take an ATX board. There is also the Mini C that takes MATX boards which might be a nice compromise

I'm looking more for something that will be smaller, but not so small that my n00b ass doesn't have problems upgrading, or shifting parts around after initial assembly. It doesn't have to be really small, just small enough where a 270 pound 6 2 man can carry it over to a friends house for some light gaming.  Thoughts??

Just now, Kgonepostl said:

I'm looking more for something that will be smaller, but not so small that my n00b ass doesn't have problems upgrading, or shifting parts around after initial assembly. Thoughts??

Define C is great if you want a compact frame IMO, you say you have a computer now that i assume has an ATX motherboard so that should go right in to the Define C, the Meshify C is also an option if you want a more airflow focused case and look.

Fractal makes nice cases and all of these will be nice to work in but the Nano S is obv the tightest one so maybe dont go for that. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 12/30/2018 at 9:32 AM, Bananasplit_00 said:

Define C is great if you want a compact frame IMO, you say you have a computer now that i assume has an ATX motherboard so that should go right in to the Define C, the Meshify C is also an option if you want a more airflow focused case and look.

Fractal makes nice cases and all of these will be nice to work in but the Nano S is obv the tightest one so maybe dont go for that. 

Are you referring to the define c? Or the define mini c? I appreciate your input ?

Define c :
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?reviews=all&Item=N82E16811352066&Description=define c&cm_re=define_c-_-11-352-066-_-Product

Define mini c:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?reviews=all&Item=N82E16811352064&Description=define c&cm_re=define_c-_-11-352-064-_-Product

24 minutes ago, Kgonepostl said:

the C, mini C is MATX and ITX only and i have no experience with that case. Im talking about the Nano S and the normal C

Builds:

Spoiler

On 12/30/2018 at 10:17 AM, Bananasplit_00 said:

the C, mini C is MATX and ITX only and i have no experience with that case. Im talking about the Nano S and the normal C

Thank you so much for your input. I'll order the C. It's worth the little bit extra. I love my define r6, best case I've ever owned. Fractal for life ?

Actually I'm gonna go with the mini c. Amazing reviews:

On 12/30/2018 at 9:15 PM, Kgonepostl said:

Actually I'm gonna go with the mini c. Amazing reviews:

I've used both the Define C and Define Mini C(I reviewed specifically the Define Mini C in my Purple build, didnt make a review for the Define C). It's the same case but the Mini C is smaller (and as such can only hold 2 120mm fans at the front instead of 3) Everything else is exactly the same and you'd be happy with either, thoguh for space savings i'd probably go with the Define Mini C. 

For an added bonus you could always install custom handles to the top of the case @Mnpctech

https://mnpctech.com/pc-case-lan-party-gaming-carry-top-server-tower-handles/

I'd recommend the bar handles for cheap effectiveness or the Spring loaded ones for compactness.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 1/3/2019 at 11:20 AM, Mnpctech said:

for sure, Mnpctech billet handles fit and look great on fractal MATX and ITX cases

fractal-design-gaming-pc-build-setup-han

Holy shit, that's gorgeous. Unfortunately, a bit too expensive for my tastes. ?

On 1/6/2019 at 3:16 PM, NIneEyeRon said:

I have the ITX Nano S, its superb!

Main concern:

Been running with a MSI 1060 for a week and results are not good. The video card has about a quarter inch clearance with the power supply and I find I can play Call of Duty Infinite Warfare for about 10 minutes and suddenly the game slows down to a slide show and all I can do is try and shut it down. I have the side panel off and I put an extra 120mm fan in the top but it's still getting too hot. Installing either a blower style video card or an SFX power supply should probably fix this but thats beside the point. The people that designed this case should have foreseen this and perhaps added another half an inch to the height.

I'm worried about GPU clearance next to the power supply on that model, and if the case is loud. These are the main complaints. Are my complaints justified?? Please let me know your thoughts on the case. Please elaborate. ?

10 hours ago, Kgonepostl said:

Main concern:

I'm worried about GPU clearance next to the power supply on that model, and if the case is loud. These are the main complaints. Are my complaints justified?? Please let me know your thoughts on the case. Please elaborate. ?

I have an RX 580 and the clearance is tiny, one fan is blocked but the other is ok.

I idle around 45 on the GPU and load between 65-74 on stock clocks. OCing wasn’t great on my card before and hasn’t changed between an ATX and ITX case.

I have got a 140mm front case fan feeding cold air direct to the space below the clear GPU fan and the PSU takes air from outside the case.

With my current configuration I have no issues with tenperatues, fan speed/noise and FPS. The fans barely have to get spinning to keep it at 75 which is an acceptable temperature for the card.

If you are having FPS issues I would first look at GPU fan profile and fan speeds (are they turning?) and consider other causes.

TL;DR From my research and experience I would not consider a GPU fan next to a PSU in a Micro-ITX case a major concern.

07D79A20-1169-44A9-852F-D70BE1EDF39F.png

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz