Michael Pachter confirms he hasn't got a clue what he's talking about, claims PS5 will be capable of 4K @ 240FPS

Master Disaster

Who?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

26 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

Who?

Michael Pachter

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Sure, maybe on Pong ?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

2 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I thought so too, but keep this in mind statements like this are what people are used to, was my wallpaper for a time. 

jsxNy9S.thumb.png.7ef4d6f3b629b245db67bfb4ac89d9ec.png

This is just another example of being only semantically wrong,  This is quite common in marketing. 

With fear of sounding like a wanker, the average console gamer probably doesn't understand compression or scaling or resolution processing, therefore he is trying to articulate in as simple words as possible that there is no compression losses in the process.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

36 minutes ago, mr moose said:

This is just another example of being only semantically wrong,  This is quite common in marketing. 

With fear of sounding like a wanker, the average console gamer probably doesn't understand compression or scaling or resolution processing, therefore he is trying to articulate in as simple words as possible that there is no compression losses in the process.  

this was about the Scorpio (the xbone x) being full 4k and not upscaled. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

7 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

this was about the Scorpio (the xbone x) being full 4k

yep. xbox one x can output 4k content at 4k, for 1080p content it can upscale.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

yep. xbox one x can output 4k content at 4k, for 1080p content it can upscale.   

The highest quality pixels tho

These are free range pixels. GMO free. 

muh specs 

All parts black

6 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

The highest quality pixels tho

These are free range pixels. GMO free. 

51 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Especially if he is doing a live interview.  Public speakers make verbal gaffs all the time, what they intend to communicate and what words actually come out of their mouth are different.   It's not a reflection of their knowledge or intelligence. 

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Especially if he is doing a live interview.  Public speakers make verbal gaffs all the time, what they intend to communicate and what words actually come out of their mouth are different.   It's not a reflection of their knowledge or intelligence. 

it's not a gaff, it was a marketing video from e3...

They even stealth edited the one they put on youtube to remove the second part of the line "these are the highest quality pixels anyone has seen"

muh specs 

All parts black

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

it was a marketing video...

They even stealth edited the one they put on youtube to remove the second part of the line "these are the highest quality pixels anyone has seen"

Of course they edited that out,  they are not stupid.   Would you leave a verbal gaff in a marketing video once you realised everyone was making fun of you?

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Of course they edited that out,  they are not stupid.   Would you leave a verbal gaff in a marketing video once you realised everyone was making fun of you?

it wasn't a gaff, it was scripted. They intentionally deceive, make console seem like magic boxes. They just quickly figured out it was too far. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

it wasn't a gaff, it was scripted. They intentional deceive, make console seem like magic boxes. They just quickly figured out it was too far. 

righto.

Just now, mr moose said:

righto.

but they still left "highest quality pixels" in there, that part was A ok 

muh specs 

All parts black

but they still left "highest quality pixels" in there, that part was A ok 

becasue there intention is to market that the image is the best.   If they had a big technical spiel using only perfect nomenclature and semantically correct language they would have lost half their market audience in the first 10 seconds.   

Just now, mr moose said:

becasue there intention is to market that the image is the best.   If they had a big technical spiel using only perfect nomenclature and semantically correct language they would have lost half their market audience in the first 10 seconds.   

there's a difference between laymans terms and intentionally misleading bullshit 

muh specs 

All parts black

5 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

it's not a gaff, it was a marketing video from e3...

Who would've thought that something shown in a marketing video at E3 would be later removed...

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Who would've thought that something shown in a marketing video at E3 would be later removed...

I'm not seeing how that's ok? 

muh specs 

All parts black

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

there's a difference between laymans terms and intentionally misleading bullshit 

O.K then,  they are the best pixels, why? because they don't share any data with neighboring pixels.    That is what makes the picture better than before, each pixel is derived from uncompressed data thus there is no blending of pixels. the image is sharper more vibrant.

I don't think I lied then.

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

O.K then,  they are the best pixels, why? because they don't share any data with neighboring pixels.    That is what makes the picture better than before, each pixel is derived from uncompressed data thus there is no blending of pixels. the image is sharper more vibrant.

I don't think I lied then.

That's a load of shit. They never mentioned upscaling, and if they were talking about HDR it would at least have a kernel of truth to it. There's a reason they were universally mocked for it. 

muh specs 

All parts black

5 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I'm not seeing how that's ok? 

So it's not O.K  that it:

1. isn't semantically accurate although the message is the same

2. was put up as a marketing video.

3. was edited out for being not technically accurate in the first place.

I'm guessing an apology for making such a benign error would also not be O.K?

That's a load of shit. They never mentioned upscaling,

So, that doesn't make it wrong.  He specifically mentions not using compression when rendering an image.

and if they were talking about HDR it would at least have a kernel of truth to it. There's a reason they were universally mocked for it. 

Well it seems even the PCMR on reddit  had enough intelligence to understand what he was talking about and not get their knickers all knotted up.

It was just marketing fluff that was amusing for those who understood what a pixel is, it's not some grand injustice where little homeless pauper boys are being sent down mines. 

2 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Michael Pachter

I can make up names too

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

maybe he's referring to multiple playstations connected together to render 4x 1080p like in some racing games allow.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

20 hours ago, mr moose said:

I think it's partly due to the fact that the console manufacturers don't want to 'muddy the waters'. They want use to the 4K buzz-word without explaining if it's native or up-scaled/checkerboard, in a sense they are being intentionally misled.