Michael Pachter confirms he hasn't got a clue what he's talking about, claims PS5 will be capable of 4K @ 240FPS

Master Disaster

They're probably mentioning the DP standard, that it is capable of putting that out, not an indicator of the frames. 

3 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

You honestly couldn't make this shit up. Mere days after Linus built a $5000 PC which just about managed 200FPS @ 4K for a few frames in one game, gaming industry "analyst & expert" Michael Pachter is now claiming Sony's next gen PS5 will be capable of significantly better performance.

https://www.t3.com/amp/news/incredible-ps5-feature-set-to-leave-xbox-two-desperate-for-counterstrike

The only astounding thing is that you'd print this nonsense and not question it.

I won't bother going any deeper into the article as it continues talking as though this is possible and how Microsoft should be scared of the PS5.

Listen, unless Sony can cram a 9900K & 2 X 2080tis into the PS5 and somehow retail it for $500 to $600 it's very obvious Michael Pachter is talking out of his arse.

3 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

You honestly couldn't make this shit up. Mere days after Linus built a $5000 PC which just about managed 200FPS @ 4K for a few frames in one game, gaming industry "analyst & expert" Michael Pachter is now claiming Sony's next gen PS5 will be capable of significantly better performance.

https://www.t3.com/amp/news/incredible-ps5-feature-set-to-leave-xbox-two-desperate-for-counterstrike

The only astounding thing is that you'd print this nonsense and not question it.

I won't bother going any deeper into the article as it continues talking as though this is possible and how Microsoft should be scared of the PS5.

Listen, unless Sony can cram a 9900K & 2 X 2080tis into the PS5 and somehow retail it for $500 to $600 it's very obvious Michael Pachter is talking out of his arse.

The PS5 will probably not even be able to handle 4K @30 FPS in some games :)

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

Ryzen 5900X

Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm AIO

Ballistix 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 RGB

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC

Corsair RM850X

Predator XB273UGS QHD IPS 165 Hz

iPhone 13 Pro 128GB Graphite

Article seems strange. That video in it isn't even a real video?

I will never in a million years believe that the PS5 will be able to run 4k at anything more than 60. Even getting 60 seems a little of a struggle to me but with proper optimization anything is possible.

26 minutes ago, ne0tic said:

The PS5 will probably not even be able to handle 4K @30 FPS in some games :)

Based on talk in the industry the console will give some sort of experience at 4K @60 fps

The rx 580 can do 4k medium at 30 fps. Which is essentialy what the Xbone X uses.

We can laugh at this sort of rumours, but we really shouldnt downplay what next gen console should be able to deliver

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Yep, and the industries most prominent expert somehow thinks it will beat the top 1% of gaming PCs.

Not even 1%, Linus couldn't even break past top 2% with a mountain of money (equipment wise) lol.

PS5 4k@240 would be more like top 0.1%, at least now anyway.

I swear, the console fanatics believe in magic. 

Just a few days ago another of those blind fanatics wanted to get into an argument with me about his XBOX being a true 4k piece for 300 bucks. He also claimed my shit PC would never reach that quality, even if i invested 3k into it.

Seriously, i have no idea how to properly talk to the console kids these days. They really buy the marketing and don't seem to notice it when playing. Or they lie to themselves?

2 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

This has been a thing as long as there were consoles.

Heck i even went along with it in the SNES/Genesis days. The amount of times i got into an argument :S , which was better based on stupid marketing BS by the manufactures (which i believed at the time... Nintendo ofc, Sega sucks :P )

But then i grew up... well, not grew up but learned from tech sites that i was an idiot :D 

6 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

That’s definitely possible with a Shadow PC or equivalent.

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

You're preaching to the choir, I fully understand this concept. Unfortunately the non technical people reading about this probably won't understand the difference as is proven by the fact the article I quoted from literally states the PS5 can do 4K @ 240fps.

Well, in that case the ones confirming they don't have a clue are the journalists, not this Pachter guy... right?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 hours ago, Spotty said:

https://gamingbolt.com/microsoft-may-have-two-next-gen-xbox-variants-says-pachter

For those interested in the original quotes from the source article.

"4k or 240 frames per second". The way I read what he's saying is he's not talking about a device running 4k at 240fps. He's talking about a device that can run either 4k (probably 60fps) or 240fps (probably 1080p).

Any processor that can actually run 240fps is almost the price of the console itself and you still have to use lower quality settings

That means 16k at 60fps oh boy

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

44 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Well, in that case the ones confirming they don't have a clue are the journalists, not this Pachter guy... right?

I'm still not convinced he didn't mean 4K @ 240. Like I pointed out earlier, he made a point of distinguishing the 2 while talking about the next Xbox yet for the PS5 he joined the terms using and, why would he separate the terms in one sentence and join them in the next?

At best he was being deliberately ambiguous, at worst he was plain flat out incorrect.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Journalists will print anything in a way that gets them a click,  I am not convinced this guy is that dumb,  it sounds more like a grammatical error that people have leaped on.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Just a few days ago another of those blind fanatics wanted to get into an argument with me about his XBOX being a true 4k piece for 300 bucks. He also claimed my shit PC would never reach that quality, even if i invested 3k into it.

Seriously, i have no idea how to properly talk to the console kids these days. They really buy the marketing and don't seem to notice it when playing. Or they lie to themselves?

you can get a 500$ new consoler killer PC. like yes, you will be min-maxing hard, but you are only aiming at 4k 30fps at medium settings.

on the used market you can such machines even cheaper.

then again i see why consoles exist. they are the shortest answer to gaming for many. 

Spoiler

case in point. and if you are picky about the 4$ over 500, you can downtier to a 450 watt model PSU and save 5$. CPU is overclockable using select MSI BIOSes. also storage is essentially better than on a console. 

edit: saw pricing on the GPU is off because amazon, but you can get them around the same price anyway

though at this rate. i wouldnt be surprised if they soon allowed to dualboot consoles in to a PC OS as they are very similar to them.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Not even 1%, Linus couldn't even break past top 2% with a mountain of money (equipment wise) lol.

PS5 4k@240 would be more like top 0.1%, at least now anyway.

I'm curious as to whether or not he's tried to do 4k gaming on ultra/high with a water cooled 1080ti.

Because I do that, and have no issues in games like BF1. I get a solid 60fps. Some other games not so much, Fallout 4 (modded) and GTA V are a little lower, solid 50 when things are getting nuts.

But I have no issues with 4k @60hz.

Single 1080ti Water cooled and OC'ed to 2.0GHz. Watercooled and turboing 7700k with 32GB of DDR4. My GPU runs far cooler than my CPU (need to delid, this CPU has shit temps).

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It amazes me how people who make ridiculous claims like this keep their jobs. It just boggles my mind. The PS5 would probably get bottle-necked my weak HDD, meaning every console would also have to ship with a sizable SSD as well as the graphical and processing horse-power. Ludicrous. This page shows how little he really knows.

https://www.tipranks.com/analysts/michael-pachter

I'm fairly certain that this clown has never been accurate on long-term speculation. He thought the switch would crash and burn. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

Journalists will print anything in a way that gets them a click,  I am not convinced this guy is that dumb,  it sounds more like a grammatical error that people have leaped on.  

See the 8:20 mark below for him saying XBox will do 4k@240 fps next gen ?

Well, TVs now can motion-interpolate 4K up to “240Hz” claimed, so why not make an 8K set to do the same, and have it just minorly upscale (blur) the 2.5K PS5 image while motion interpolating it? Boom! PS5 supports 8K 240fps!

8 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

See the 8:20 mark below for him saying XBox will do 4k@240 fps next gen ?

You've never heard of a verbal slip?  sometimes people say incorrect things unintentionally.  Like mixing up peoples names in an explanation.  Not every single thing people say is perfectly executed and their intent. Given it seems to be one comment that is obviously wrong and not a string of errors I would be more inclined to assume he didn't mean it rather than berate a man and insult his intelligence over an unintentional verbal gaff.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

33 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

See the 8:20 mark below for him saying XBox will do 4k@240 fps next gen 

"They're going to say: We have two different Xboxes. One for the hardcore aficionado who's willing to pay whatever it takes to play the latest and greatest and the other for the casual guy who doesn't have to have the best. So, think of it as 4K next generation; 4k 240 frames a second verses 1080p 60 frames a second. That's kind of the difference. And if you're a casual, 1080p 60 frames a second is plenty".

Looking at that and his wording he definitely does appear to be suggesting the next gen xbox will do 4K [at] 240 FPS. Whether intended to or not, he ties the framerate to the resolution and reinforces that connection by comparing it to 1080p 60FPS, and refers to it as the "next generation" of 4K implying that it is different & improved from current generation 4k (30/60FPS).

His comments from the discussion with Gamingbolt last week didn't tie the framerate to the resolution, merely lists features that it would have which would imply 4K or 240FPS features, however these comments from the youtube video link the FPS and resolution together and using this as context you could assume that when he was discussing the PS5 with Gamingbolt he did indeed mean to describe it as 4K at 240FPS.

I've messaged him on twitter asking him to clarify what he meant, so I'll be interested to see if he responds.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

14 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Mere days after Linus built a $5000 PC which just about managed 200FPS @ 4K for a few frames in one game

I would like to see how games would run at non-idiotic settings though. He was running everything at Ultra, which usually doesn't even look objectively better than High or Medium. Sure it looks different, but that's not the same as better.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

I sure hope he means video output support. 
Keep in mind HDMI 2.1 is already 4K 120Hz IIRC, and whatever they're going for might be targeting VR., or just a high data rate in general to support more things without an upgrade (ie HDR this gen and 3D last gen) 

HDMI 2.1 supports 1440p at 240 fps as well I believe...120Hz each eye? With interpolation of course. That's a use case I can image there. 

For Dp, I can't imagine DP on a console. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch