First computer build fail, need help

Atlas270
Go to solution Solved by glenalz81,
6 minutes ago, Atlas270 said:

I haven't updated it myself, no. But if you're talking about updating it to be compatible with my cpu, I've been told it comes already compatible with this cpu and has the "AMD RYZEN DESKTOP 2000 READY" sticker on it. I'm using an AMD Ryzen 3 2200g with a Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H.

As long as it says Ryzen 2000 ready that's fine. If your sure that your ram is compatible then most likely a board failure.

If you haven't yet,  unplug everything not needed to power on, ssd/hdd/fans/contollers the lot then see if it stays switched on, if it does there's a problem with one of those, if not then i'd say RMA the board.

If you have access to another PSU would be worth a try aswell.

Hey guys, random question, but I'm trying to get answers asap. I'm a novice builder and I just built my brother a budget rig, but I messed up several times and can't seem to figure out what I did wrong. With the build complete my motherboard will light up for a second and then turn off whenever I try to power on the pc. I'm in the middle of replacing my cpu as I believe that was the issue because I sort of touched the thermal paste on it when I was installing the cooler. Yea, big mess up for my first build... Without a spare cpu and not being able to test another until the replacement comes in I'm not sure how to troubleshoot the other parts or how to test the actual problem. I'm on an AMD Ryzon 3 2200g cpu with a Gigabyte Ultra Durable GA-AB350M-DS3H Desktop Motherboard. Any and all help is appreciated.

Check all the power connections. I don't think touching the thermal paste would do fuck all frankly, it's not that sensitive.

Unless you mean you got thermal paste on the pins...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Sounds to me the CPU isn't getting power. Did you plug in the 8 pin connector on the motherboard? I've forgotten once and it did what you described
Image result for motherboard 8pin

1 hour ago, Wufflez said:

Sounds to me the CPU isn't getting power. Did you plug in the 8 pin connector on the motherboard? I've forgotten once and it did what you described

Double checked and seems fine to me. I tried reseating it as well and I still have the same issue. The motherboard will light up and then die.

Are you saying you got thermal paste on the pins? I think you just got a mobo that is DOA.

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

Just now, Atlas270 said:

Double checked and seems fine to me. I tried reseating it as well and I still have the same issue. The motherboard will light up and then die.

Is the CPU oriented correctly, and do you have a graphics card installed?

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Check all the power connections. I don't think touching the thermal paste would do fuck all frankly, it's not that sensitive.

Unless you mean you got thermal paste on the pins...

I see. This is my first build so I wasnt sure where the problem was coming from. I tried reseating all my power supply cables with no working solution.

1 hour ago, Gix7Fifty said:

Are you saying you got thermal paste on the pins? I think you just got a mobo that is DOA.

Any way to troubleshoot and check?

Just now, Atlas270 said:

Nope, get your RMA started ASAP!

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

2 minutes ago, Wufflez said:

Is the CPU oriented correctly, and do you have a graphics card installed?

I was told not to apply any pressure or to reinforce the cpu, however, it fit the motherboard in fine. And no gpu, this is a budget build for my brother with integrated graphics. 

3 minutes ago, Atlas270 said:

A very large portion of B350 boards need a Bios update before an APU will work.

1 minute ago, glenalz81 said:

Has your motherboard had an updated BIOS to allow the APU to work?

I haven't updated it myself, no. But if you're talking about updating it to be compatible with my cpu, I've been told it comes already compatible with this cpu and has the "AMD RYZEN DESKTOP 2000 READY" sticker on it. I'm using an AMD Ryzen 3 2200g with a Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H.

Did you check to make sure the memory's on the approved list.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 minutes ago, Atlas270 said:

As long as it says Ryzen 2000 ready that's fine. If your sure that your ram is compatible then most likely a board failure.

If you haven't yet,  unplug everything not needed to power on, ssd/hdd/fans/contollers the lot then see if it stays switched on, if it does there's a problem with one of those, if not then i'd say RMA the board.

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Did you check to make sure the memory's on the approved list.

I belive so. 

ram.jpg

3 minutes ago, Atlas270 said:

I belive so.

Do you have all the motherboard stand offs installed?  Maybe a short to the case.

What exactly happens when you power on?  Will it cycle on and off indefinitely?  Or will it stay off after the MoBo lights up for a couple of seconds?

Also have you tried clearing CMOS?

CPU:   Ryzen 7  5800x      CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro       Motherboard:  Asus x570 TUF Plus      Memory:  32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000     

GPU:  EVGA RTX2070 Super XC Ultra        SSD: Crucial P5 1TB  PCIe NVMe             PSU: Corsair CX750       Case: Thermaltake View 71 TG RGB  

Monitors: LG 34" Ultrawide    Samsung 28" 4k

49 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

I unplugged everything except the 8 pin near the cpu and the 24 pin and the case power switch. Now it won't even turn on at all. I also tried to turn it on without the power switch using a screw driver.

45 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

Do you have all the motherboard stand offs installed?  Maybe a short to the case.

All, but one where there is a hole in the case to allow cable management. 

41 minutes ago, Dxer said:

What exactly happens when you power on?  Will it cycle on and off indefinitely?  Or will it stay off after the MoBo lights up for a couple of seconds?

Also have you tried clearing CMOS?

The motherboard will light up shortly, then die. It won't do the same until I give it about 5 minutes and try again. anything before that time and it doesn't respond at all. Now after unplugging everything except the 24 pin and the 8 pin power supply cables the board isn't responding at all.  and I have not tried that yet and am currently looking up what that even means.

This might be a silly question.  Is your heatsink/fan secured properly?  Almost sounds like an overheating issue if you have to wait 5 minutes

for the computer to respond again.

CPU:   Ryzen 7  5800x      CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro       Motherboard:  Asus x570 TUF Plus      Memory:  32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000     

GPU:  EVGA RTX2070 Super XC Ultra        SSD: Crucial P5 1TB  PCIe NVMe             PSU: Corsair CX750       Case: Thermaltake View 71 TG RGB  

1 minute ago, Dxer said:

This might be a silly question.  Is your heatsink/fan secured properly?  Almost sounds like an overheating issue if you have to wait 5 minutes

for the computer to respond again.

I'm not sure, but none of the fans powered on in the first place. I was sure that at the very least my cpu cooler was pluged in properly, but again, none of them worked from the start. 

And did you make sure you plugged the CPU fan into a CPU fan header and not a chassis fan header?

Sorry if some of these questions sound trivial, but sometimes it is something very simple.  :)

Just now, Dxer said:

And did you make sure you plugged the CPU fan into a CPU fan header and not a chassis fan header?

Sorry if some of these questions sound trivial, but sometimes it is something very simple.  :)

Yes, right above the ram slots. And honestly, I'm looking to anything that could be the problem as well. Much appreciated help.

I am not sure what else  you have tried yet.

Clear CMOS.  There is a jumper just next to the heatsink that says Gigabyte on it.  Take a screwdriver and short out those two pins for a couple of seconds.  That clears the CMOS.

Try using only one stick of RAM and try each slot.  Then do it again with the second stick of RAM.

Post a high res picture of your motherboard installation, you had a partial picture above, I just want to see it all in one pic.

Is a graphics card installed?  If so, remove it. Just use the on board Vega graphics for now.

If you have a multimeter, try measuring the 5v and 12v from one of your molex (4-pin power connector from the the PSU) connectors if you have one available.

Kinda running out of ideas.  If all that fails, time to RMA the board.