Has a High End PC become pointless? PC Gaming useless?

Princess Luna
On 12/29/2018 at 8:25 PM, Princess Cadence said:

call it a day

Yep, call it a day after paying for psn every month until you decide it costs too much so you regret selling your gaming pc

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

1 minute ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

Yep, call it a day after paying for psn every month until you decide it costs too much so you regret selling your gaming pc

That's only a thing if you want to play online and even then there are some (F2P) exceptions...

You do not need that for "Single Player fun", wich is what this thread is about.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Just now, Stefan Payne said:

That's only a thing if you want to play online and even then there are some (F2P) exceptions...

You do not need that for "Single Player fun", wich is what this thread is about.

Oh that’s true. 

Happy New Years ?

Super high end gaming PCs are pointless. (Dual 1080s.... Dual 2080s... dual whatevers are stupid.)

You can play almost every game at ultra at 144 hz (if the game isn't terrible optimized) using a medium specced gaming PC. 

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:25 AM, Princess Cadence said:

Before any one comes here with the usual PCMR hue hue read me out.

For the longest time the dream of a High End gaming computer lived vivid in me and I'm sure on many others, being able to play games on the maximum eye candy possible is always an exciting thought.

However I can't help but notice that PC gaming nowadays as is entering 2019 has become extremely Online and Game as Services orientated, E-sports every where, Battle Royale, MOBA, massive multiplayer online and so on.

I work monday to friday, 10 hours shift daily and I am doing my second college, so realistically sit down and game to me is limited to some hours on weekends at best and for a very long time I have been focusing only on single player story driven or at least semi-rpg games as competitive online stuff is a no no any more obviously.

The problem here is that I was looking through some of the recent games and I can't help but realize that pretty much the best single player games are all exclusives for the PS4, you know:

God of War, Horizon, Last of Us, Spider Man, Bloodborne, Uncharted, Last Guardian, Detroit Become Human and the list goes on... Not only Sony exclusives then we have Console Exclusives like Red Dead Redemption 2 and a bunch more... And all this while every game that actually got a PC Port is available on the PS4.

So here is the deal, I don't care about online competitive games, I don't play any of those any more... The PS4 Pro hardware wise is capable of running said games on pretty good quality nowadays... So... as much as I used to hype like most of us with high end PC gaming and all the extras I actually have been feeling like I've been missing out a lot if not more by not owning a PS4...

Furthermore laptops have come a long way, Intel's 8th gen was actually impressive I got a new laptop with a MX150 and an i7 8650U and I can do all my drawing and content creation and web browsing and actual professional work with office and do classes etc...

So the thing is my personal computer has become... kinda redundant if not pointless... I'm actually thinking, should I even insist on it? Maybe try selling it while it's still "up-to-date" buy a PS4 and call it a day?

Have any one ever went through this or people just go and buy the PS4 alongside their PC and call it a day?

Well if you don't recognize the potential of the p.c. exclusive games then yea, your indeed better off with a console. I only once felt the need to go grab a ps4 and that was with the release of their FF games but hey since we have those on the p.c. too there is really no argument for me... And if you can live with 1080p fidelity then your off to a good and decent p.c. life atleast in my book that is!

6 hours ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

Given how I have no interest on online functionality just the story driven single player experience I believe I do not need to pay for PSN, as far as I am concerned it is optional if I do so there's that right?

12 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

Well if you don't recognize the potential of the p.c. exclusive games then yea,

It's not that, it's just that games I am interested aren't on PC.

7 hours ago, A Random Dude said:

Because I own a PC. I have no interest whatsoever in any console.

Again like you were pointed at, you're missing the actual picture here... I also used to think like you reason why I only have my PC and yes I understand all the reasons that makes a PC superior at gaming, I play my games on high settings at 3440x1440p100hz which is not achievable on consoles.

But this was never the main thing here as said above it is about the actual Games, the games I want to play aren't on PC, so it doesn't matter how good it could play games if the ones I want now aren't there.

So that's the thing this was never a discussion about which platform is better and what not but simply how to get around the lack of these specific games I wish I could play.

Then again I decided to keep 'saving up' and grab a second hand PS4 for a better pricing some point this year without selling the PC, even if I hardly use it yes it's worth keeping it around for certain games like the upcoming Cyberpunk77.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

Then again I decided to keep 'saving up' and grab a second hand PS4 for a better pricing some point this year without selling the PC, even if I hardly use it yes it's worth keeping it around for certain games like the upcoming Cyberpunk77.

i thought cyberpunk would be a multi platform release ;) 
but face it little princess…. you can use a tablet for your day to day internet stuff and never even have to sit near a p.c. ever again :D 

4 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

you're missing the actual picture here...

The only picture I care about is that of what runs on my monitor from my PC.

it is about the actual Games, the games I want to play aren't on PC, so it doesn't matter how good it could play games if the ones I want now aren't there.

Give it time, they'll be on PC before you know it. And until they are, there is plenty of other games to keep you occupied until then.

this was never a discussion about which platform is better and what not but simply how to get around the lack of these specific games I wish I could play.

You simply play other games or visit a friend with a PS4. No need to spend hundreds more dollars, especially when some of these games you wish to play run at only 24-30 fps. I'm patient enough to wait for these games to hit PC. Where they will play insanely better. There's also going to be new consoles coming out that better go above 60 fps and get rid of 30 fps in all the games that release. They have the power, they better make every single game run at a minimum of 60 fps and have some games run at 90 fps. That's a console one might sell off their PC to buy.

Given how I have no interest on online functionality just the story driven single player experience I believe I do not need to pay for PSN, as far as I am concerned it is optional if I do so there's that right?

Well that’s true, if all you wanna do is single player, then I’d say a console is the way to go (unless you prefer the controls on pc) and no, PSN is not required, and I think you can even play games like Planetside 2 without it, and I think you can also chat in parties and message people too, not 100% sure though, but it IS optional. Plus you don’t have to buy a Keyboard and mouse, an HDMI cord (but you probably already have one) plus it comes with a cord that you can charge your phone on, so there’s that too

1% high end pc? yeah that is pointless. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

On 12/29/2018 at 5:25 PM, Princess Cadence said:

Before any one comes here with the usual PCMR hue hue read me out.

For the longest time the dream of a High End gaming computer lived vivid in me and I'm sure on many others, being able to play games on the maximum eye candy possible is always an exciting thought.

However I can't help but notice that PC gaming nowadays as is entering 2019 has become extremely Online and Game as Services orientated, E-sports every where, Battle Royale, MOBA, massive multiplayer online and so on.

I work monday to friday, 10 hours shift daily and I am doing my second college, so realistically sit down and game to me is limited to some hours on weekends at best and for a very long time I have been focusing only on single player story driven or at least semi-rpg games as competitive online stuff is a no no any more obviously. 

The problem here is that I was looking through some of the recent games and I can't help but realize that pretty much the best single player games are all exclusives for the PS4, you know:

God of War, Horizon, Last of Us, Spider Man, Bloodborne, Uncharted, Last Guardian, Detroit Become Human and the list goes on... Not only Sony exclusives then we have Console Exclusives like Red Dead Redemption 2 and a bunch more... And all this while every game that actually got a PC Port is available on the PS4.

So here is the deal, I don't care about online competitive games, I don't play any of those any more... The PS4 Pro hardware wise is capable of running said games on pretty good quality nowadays... So... as much as I used to hype like most of us with high end PC gaming and all the extras I actually have been feeling like I've been missing out a lot if not more by not owning a PS4... 

Furthermore laptops have come a long way, Intel's 8th gen was actually impressive I got a new laptop with a MX150 and an i7 8650U and I can do all my drawing and content creation and web browsing and actual professional work with office and do classes etc...

So the thing is my personal computer has become... kinda redundant if not pointless... I'm actually thinking, should I even insist on it? Maybe try selling it while it's still "up-to-date" buy a PS4 and call it a day?

Have any one ever went through this or people just go and buy the PS4 alongside their PC and call it a day?

I'm fine with competitive online games(and I play them time-to-time). But sometimes I just want to sit down and play some single player ones where it's just me an the world.

It's becoming Like this in gaming because that's where the money is made. Most of these companies are public and have investors that want more and more cash out of games. Because of this, companies really want games to make more and more money and make worse schemes to make money. E-sports, competitive games, games as services just happen to be the vessels that will (hopefully) make more cash for the companies

In the case of the PS4, there are such good games because PS4 needs to create killer games to pursuade people not to buy A Xbox one, a nintendo switch or a Gaming PC.

For more on this topic, i suggest you watch this:

Damn....

On 1/1/2019 at 12:27 PM, Princess Cadence said:

Correct.

Playstation Plus mainly gives you online functionality in many games (NOT ALL! Some work without that. For example Final Fantasy XIV, probably Fortnite and other F2P stuff).

But also:
Free Games each Month (right now its 6: 2 PS4, 2 PS3, 2 Vita, most of the times some are on more than one other system but that's only one other time. After that only 2 for PS4 (IIRC March 2019 according to Anouncement from Sony))

and additional rebates in the Online store in some instances.

Depending on the sale its sometimes 5%, sometimes 10% (on top of the Rebate) and sometimes they do "double rebate" Sales.

In General: DO NOT BUY in PSN Store without a sale!

Buy locally because that's often cheaper than the Version in the Store.

For example God of War: Offline/Retail you can find it often for 60€ or so. Online: 69,99€.

As for Rebate: FOr "normal users" its 26,49€ right now. For PS+ Users its 26,49€

Used I'd not pay more than like 150€ for a normal PS4 Slim, for the older Original one a bit less (so around 100, maybe 125€).

And also look out for Sales. Sometimes you can get a PS4 PRO for like 300€ or so.

Right now its back to 400€ or so. Partly because stock is low after the Christmas sale. 

If you have the time, that's something to look out for. And get a PS4 when there is a sale of the Hardware. The next one might be towards Eastern or so. So a couple of Weeks or Months away...

And if there are sales, get a Controller as well. 

Right now they are back to around 50-60€ or so.

When they are on Sale (Days of Play of whatever), you can grab one for like 40€. 

You can get it in Black, Red, Blue, Silver and of course White as well as Camo. 

That's also something to look for.

Right now, after Christmas it doesn't look like a good idea to get a Console sadly...

You should Wait for a sale.

I have gone for years not playing games on a computer. In the Playstation 2 era I played no PC games other than MS simulators. They were on because creating content for them was part of my income.  In the playstation 3 era I started moving away from consoles. 

Going back to console gaming could happen. In the 1990s it was all PC gaming for me and my hardware was a lot more expensive than it is now. That doesn't mean I would give up my PCs but I would only upgrade them for productivity and that is less than half of what I do for games.

I am reading the word "pointless" a lot. What my be pointless to you may not be pointless to someone else. 

My "High End" PCs are for 4k and ultra wide gaming. I am having a wonderful time. Pointless as it may be. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

13 hours ago, jones177 said:

I am reading the word "pointless" a lot. What my be pointless to you may not be pointless to someone else. 

The only thing that's really pointless is argue with Hardware on Consoles...

Well, no. That does not matter, Switch more than proves that...

The value of a console is how much fun you might (or not) have with it with the exclusive games...