Upgrade for Dell XPS 8700

adam18297

Hello,

I have never bought computer components before, and am in serious need of an upgrade to my machine. I currently have a Dell XPS 8700 machine with an i7-4790 processor, a GTX 745 graphics card, a Dell 0KWVT8 motherboard and 16 GB of DDR3 memory. Right now, my machine rarely pulls more than 20 FPS on even fairly outdated games from around 2013. My hope was initially to upgrade to an RTX 2070, which would deliver far above my goal of 1080p at 60 frames per second with the added benefit of future proofing. Unfortunately, it looks like my processor can't handle this sort of load, and I definitely don't want to have to replace my whole motherboard and RAM in order to upgrade. I've been looking into some more economic options, and I am very curious what I can expect from each one. There is a GTX 1070 in my area that is selling for $220, a GTX 1060 6 GB for $165, and a GTX 1060 3 GB for $120. I know that all of these cards can deliver 1080p60 for the time being, but what is my best option when factoring the future? What if I become interested in 2K, 4K or high FPS gaming at some point? Is there a card that will give me the best bang for the buck? I am also curious what cards my machine is even compatible with, keeping in mind the quality of the processor. Would a higher end card like a GTX 1080 or 1080Ti experience a bottleneck? Would an RTX card connect to the motherboard at all? Like I said, I am very new to this whole process. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, and if there's anything I left out, I'd be glad to give more details.

a 4790k on overclock could handle it... too bad it's a locked one... all of these can handle 1080p 60 fps with ease, but because of the price I would definitly pick up that 1070

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

a 4790k on overclock could handle it... too bad it's a locked one... all of these can handle 1080p 60 fps with ease, but because of the price I would definitly pick up that 1070

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what does it mean to have a locked CPU?

Just now, adam18297 said:

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what does it mean to have a locked CPU?

that you can't overclock it (exept for bclk), but don't think about going to an unlocked chip on that board, because it's locked too...

The 4790 will be a fine chip for 1080p gaming, for higher fps you should probably pick up that 1070. Make sure your power supply is adequate 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

The 4790 will be a fine chip for 1080p gaming, for higher fps you should probably pick up that 1070. Make sure your power supply is adequate 

or at least high quality, come on... it's xps, the top line of dell at that time

• 1 month later...

That XPS 8700 configuration came with a 460W PSU with two six-pin VGA power cables available.  I've had perfectly good luck with a single fan GTX 1060 from EVGA, but the single fan RTX 2060 causes random crashes--even after replacing the Dell stock PSU with an EVGA Supernova G3 750 watt.  After days of troubleshooting, I'm fairly convinced there's someone about that proprietary Dell motherboard that just doesn't like it.  I don't have a GTX 1070 / 1080 to test, or I would.  

Keep in mind that your hard drive cage in that case makes long cards a tight fit, if they fit at all.  I removed mine and relocated the drives up to the ODD and HDD2 slots (you'll see when you open the side panel; they're labeled).

For what it's worth, even with the RTX 2060 when it was working, the benchmarks all say 90% to %100 GPU bound at 1080 with that i7-4790; it's aged pretty well considering.

s3anz13, I been having the same problem with XPS 8700 ( I have tried both RTX 2070 and 2060). The problem only occurs when I'm browsing the web or general PC uses, and occurs very rarely when gaming. My guess is the GPU is not getting enough power during general PC uses, and it seems to be caused by the motherboard. I have tried few different power supply with no differences.

If you ever find a solution please repose as it would be very helpful.

• 1 month later...

I just helped my friend with this issue. Not sure which combination of things did it but I replaced the motherboard battery (assumed dead did not volt test it). Updated the BIOS through the dell website to version A13. Went to power settings and set it to high performance mode and disabled putting the PCIe into sleep mode in the advanced setting. Seems to be running stable now. 

• 1 month later...

disabling PCIe into sleep mode worked for me!

Thanks

• 4 months later...
On 5/11/2019 at 2:38 PM, jerryland said:

disabling PCIe into sleep mode worked for me!

Thanks

same rtx 2060 issue, what do yo mean disabling PCIe? I cant find where is it? anyone knows what it means? thanks in advance.

For all people who has the same issue with rtx 2060 and dell xps 8700 you can fallow the power options explained, it works, but if you has problems with 3d programs like 3ds max or quixel, you will need to follow one more step, in nvida control panel change: global settings/energy mode control/ to maximum performance, this will fix the 3d program restart. Hope it helps.