Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rcmaehl

Big Teacher - Chinese schools enforces "smart uniforms" to help curtail truancy

Posted · Original PosterOP

Source:
ABC NET AU

Summary:

11 Schools in Guizhou, China have introduced uniforms featuring GPS logging and awareness monitoring. The uniforms "focus on safety issues".

Quotes/Excerpts:

Eleven schools in...Guizhou have introduced the uniforms...developed by... Guizhou Guanyu Technology. As students enter the school, the time and date is recorded along with a short video that parents can access via a mobile app. Facial recognition further ensures that each uniform is worn by its rightful owner. Skipping classes triggers an alarm to inform teachers and parents of the truancy, while an automatic voice alarm activates if a student walks out of school without permission. A GPS system tracks student movements even beyond the school grounds. The two chips...can withstand up to 500 washes and 150 degrees Celsius. Alarms will also sound if a student falls asleep in class, while parents can monitor purchases their child makes at the school and set spending limits via a mobile app. A public statement via popular Chinese social media site Weibo saying the uniforms "focus on safety issues", and provide a "smart management method" that benefits students, teachers and parents. Lin Zongwu, principal of Number 11 School of Renhuai in Guizhou, said although the school had the ability to track students at all times, they used this technology sparingly. "We choose not to check the accurate location of students after school, but when the student is missing and skipping classes, the uniforms help locate them."

My Thoughts:
As a minor in almost every country, you have very few rights and control. I can understand GPS tracking, however facial recognition, voice alarms, and awareness monitoring are definitely overdoing it. Although China is definitely a nice place to monitor for understanding the other side of the privacy vs security spectrum.

NotCPUCores Dev | Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 32GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2933MHz, RX480 8GB OC, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

People wonder why others are skeptical of China. Wanna know why? This is why.

Avid Team Fortress 2 player || @handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Tyler :^)

Main rig:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, stock | CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7 | GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 8G V1 | PSU: EVGA G3 550 | RAM: Patriot Viper 8GB DDR4 @2400MHz | Motherboard: ASRock AB350M | Case: Cooler Master N200 | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB SATA | HDD1: 750GB HGST 2.5" @ 5400rpm | HDD2: 2TB WD Blue 2.5" @ 5400rpm | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K65, Corsair Sabre RGB and Sony MDR-7506

Specs for secondary rig coming soon!

Yeah...nope, nope, and more nope.

Just your everyday Anime Weeb Time Traveling Mad Scientist Collector

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1800X | GPU:  Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 | RAM:  32GB G Skill Flare X DDR4-2400 | PSU: EVGA 1000W GQ 80+Gold | Motherboard: Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5| Cooler:  Noctua NH-D15 |Case:  NZXT Noctis 450 (White) | Storage: 512GB Samsung SSD + 4TB Western Digital 7200RPM|

nopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenope

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play MTGA & watch anime at 720p...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee! The Cassette Deck!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

20 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Source:
ABC NET AU

Summary:

11 Schools in Guizhou, China have introduced uniforms featuring GPS logging and awareness monitoring. The uniforms "focus on safety issues".

Quotes/Excerpts:

My Thoughts:
As a minor in almost every country, you have very few rights and control. I can understand GPS tracking, however facial recognition, voice alarms, and awareness monitoring are definitely overdoing it. Although China is definitely a nice place to monitor for understanding the other side of the privacy vs security spectrum.

In China in the big cities, facial recognition is used everywhere on the streets. They are even system that send you an infraction via SMS if you jay walk. All automated. There are even schools that put facial tracking cameras in class rooms to alert the teacher if a student is found to not pay attention.

It seems that the population is open to all this.

As a tourist, you are required to give your passport to the hotel in order to get a room.

And you are required to answer the hotel phone or your smartphone, at any time while you are in your room, even at 3 am, for any questioning about your papers and passport. Authorities can be called.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

In China in the big cities, facial recognition is used everywhere on the streets. They are even system that send you an infraction via SMS if you jay walk. All automated.

It's used at tech events as well, entrance is controlled by automated gates with facial recognition. You don't need an entrance pass or ID, just walk up and the gate opens.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

How many kids have iPhones now days?.............. Find my iPhone Child has been a thing for agesss, well you can use it that way lol.

iPhone? All phones. Android, Windows 10 Mobile, even your Windows 10 PC.

All you need to know if the device user name and password and login to the appropriate website

23 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

People wonder why others are skeptical of China. Wanna know why? This is why.

Lol ………. like.... its normal to live in a world where crime syndicates can't be stopped in any way because there such an integral part of society.. and hey cash is cash ;) 

10 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

As a tourist, you are required to give your passport to the hotel in order to get a room.

And you are required to answer the hotel phone or your smartphone, at any time while you are in your room, even at 3 am, for any questioning about your papers and passport. Authorities can be called.

That's not really an issue, since if you went to any major hotel in the world, you usually had to hand over a credit card to copy details for payment etc etc. Times might of changed since i was last in a nice hotel, but it used to be standard practice.

As for waking up... Hahahahaha. Call the authorities, i'm asleep bitch.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

3 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Seing one GPS target on top of other in the app

Kreygasm

As much as this is funny. GPS is only accurate to within 10m

NotCPUCores Dev | Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 32GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2933MHz, RX480 8GB OC, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

9 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

As much as this is funny. GPS is only accurate to within 10m

What is possibly crazy, with 5G, a triangulation can be done and may deliver even more accurate location. With 5G, if you want the advertise max speed of 5G, you pretty much need an antenna on almost each lamp post on the street. Considering that China is most likely subsiding Huawei and hence why every mobile operator is jumping to their solution as it is the cheapest instead of other companies, is also pretty scary, Hence the big scare of the possibility of back-doors implemented on the system which could give China control of networks and spying power.

1 hour ago, rcmaehl said:

Although China is definitely a nice place to monitor for understanding the other side of the privacy vs security spectrum.

To play devil's advocate, since I really do think this is a bad idea, with all the accident videos of kids getting run over/killed in accidents/etc, it would be somewhat nice knowing that your child didn't make it to school just  for safety reasons.

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

15 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

To play devil's advocate, since I really do think this is a bad idea, with all the accident videos of kids getting run over/killed in accidents/etc, it would be somewhat nice knowing that your child didn't make it to school just  for safety reasons.

So you're saying Anime trucks aren't just a meme?

Image result for zombieland saga car

What next? Exploding neck collars? Wait, that's Japan. Move along now...

Main rig: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k stock, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, HP LP2475W 1200p wide gamut

Gaming system: Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k stock, Noctua D15, G.Skill TridentZ 3000C14 2x8GB, Asus 1080 Ti Strix OC, Fractal Edison 550W PSU, Corsair 600C, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p 144Hz G-sync

Ryzen rig: Asrock B450 ITX, R5 2600, Noctua D9L, Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 2x4GB, Vega 56, Corsair CX450M, NZXT Manta, Crucial MX300 525GB, Acer RT280K

VR rig: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, i7-6600k stock, Silverstone TD03-E, Kingston Hyper-X 2666 2x8GB, Zotac 1070 FE, Corsair CX450M, Silverstone SG13, Samsung PM951 256GB, HTC Vive

Gaming laptop: Asus FX503VD, i5-7300HQ, 2x8GB DDR4, GTX 1050, Sandisk 256GB SSD

Total CPU heating: i7-7800X, 2x i7-6700k, i7-6700HQ, i5-6600k, i5-5675C, i5-4570S, i3-8350k, i3-6100, i3-4360, 2x i3-4150T, E5-2683v3, 2x E5-2650, R7 1700, 1600

23 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

So you're saying Anime trucks aren't just a meme?

Image result for zombieland saga car

Be aware. Truck-kun is out for blood and will not stop until all of Japan is under his tracks.

If it wasn't for the fact that this was China I'd be worried, but since China is such a glowing source of privacy I doubt this would pass in most democratic countries.