Big Teacher - Chinese schools enforces "smart uniforms" to help curtail truancy

rcmaehl

Source:
ABC NET AU

Summary:

11 Schools in Guizhou, China have introduced uniforms featuring GPS logging and awareness monitoring. The uniforms "focus on safety issues".

Quotes/Excerpts:

Eleven schools in...Guizhou have introduced the uniforms...developed by... Guizhou Guanyu Technology. As students enter the school, the time and date is recorded along with a short video that parents can access via a mobile app. Facial recognition further ensures that each uniform is worn by its rightful owner. Skipping classes triggers an alarm to inform teachers and parents of the truancy, while an automatic voice alarm activates if a student walks out of school without permission. A GPS system tracks student movements even beyond the school grounds. The two chips...can withstand up to 500 washes and 150 degrees Celsius. Alarms will also sound if a student falls asleep in class, while parents can monitor purchases their child makes at the school and set spending limits via a mobile app. A public statement via popular Chinese social media site Weibo saying the uniforms "focus on safety issues", and provide a "smart management method" that benefits students, teachers and parents. Lin Zongwu, principal of Number 11 School of Renhuai in Guizhou, said although the school had the ability to track students at all times, they used this technology sparingly. "We choose not to check the accurate location of students after school, but when the student is missing and skipping classes, the uniforms help locate them."

My Thoughts:
As a minor in almost every country, you have very few rights and control. I can understand GPS tracking, however facial recognition, voice alarms, and awareness monitoring are definitely overdoing it. Although China is definitely a nice place to monitor for understanding the other side of the privacy vs security spectrum.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

nopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenope

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

People wonder why others are skeptical of China. Wanna know why? This is why.

Well, the "we've probably killed over 50 million of our own people in the last 70 years and it's the same government" has a bit more to do with it, but this doesn't help.

20 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Source:
ABC NET AU

Summary:

11 Schools in Guizhou, China have introduced uniforms featuring GPS logging and awareness monitoring. The uniforms "focus on safety issues".

Quotes/Excerpts:

My Thoughts:
As a minor in almost every country, you have very few rights and control. I can understand GPS tracking, however facial recognition, voice alarms, and awareness monitoring are definitely overdoing it. Although China is definitely a nice place to monitor for understanding the other side of the privacy vs security spectrum.

In China in the big cities, facial recognition is used everywhere on the streets. They are even system that send you an infraction via SMS if you jay walk. All automated. There are even schools that put facial tracking cameras in class rooms to alert the teacher if a student is found to not pay attention.

It seems that the population is open to all this.

As a tourist, you are required to give your passport to the hotel in order to get a room.

And you are required to answer the hotel phone or your smartphone, at any time while you are in your room, even at 3 am, for any questioning about your papers and passport. Authorities can be called.

9 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Also, most of this could just have been done with an RFID chip in a card

How many kids have iPhones now days?.............. Find my iPhone Child has been a thing for agesss, well you can use it that way lol.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

In China in the big cities, facial recognition is used everywhere on the streets. They are even system that send you an infraction via SMS if you jay walk. All automated.

It's used at tech events as well, entrance is controlled by automated gates with facial recognition. You don't need an entrance pass or ID, just walk up and the gate opens.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

How many kids have iPhones now days?.............. Find my iPhone Child has been a thing for agesss, well you can use it that way lol.

iPhone? All phones. Android, Windows 10 Mobile, even your Windows 10 PC.

All you need to know if the device user name and password and login to the appropriate website

23 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

People wonder why others are skeptical of China. Wanna know why? This is why.

Lol ………. like.... its normal to live in a world where crime syndicates can't be stopped in any way because there such an integral part of society.. and hey cash is cash ;) 

10 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

As a tourist, you are required to give your passport to the hotel in order to get a room.

And you are required to answer the hotel phone or your smartphone, at any time while you are in your room, even at 3 am, for any questioning about your papers and passport. Authorities can be called.

That's not really an issue, since if you went to any major hotel in the world, you usually had to hand over a credit card to copy details for payment etc etc. Times might of changed since i was last in a nice hotel, but it used to be standard practice.

As for waking up... Hahahahaha. Call the authorities, i'm asleep bitch.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Seing one GPS target on top of other in the app

Kreygasm

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Seing one GPS target on top of other in the app

Kreygasm

As much as this is funny. GPS is only accurate to within 10m

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

9 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

As much as this is funny. GPS is only accurate to within 10m

What is possibly crazy, with 5G, a triangulation can be done and may deliver even more accurate location. With 5G, if you want the advertise max speed of 5G, you pretty much need an antenna on almost each lamp post on the street. Considering that China is most likely subsiding Huawei and hence why every mobile operator is jumping to their solution as it is the cheapest instead of other companies, is also pretty scary, Hence the big scare of the possibility of back-doors implemented on the system which could give China control of networks and spying power.

1 hour ago, rcmaehl said:

Although China is definitely a nice place to monitor for understanding the other side of the privacy vs security spectrum.

To play devil's advocate, since I really do think this is a bad idea, with all the accident videos of kids getting run over/killed in accidents/etc, it would be somewhat nice knowing that your child didn't make it to school just  for safety reasons.

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

15 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

To play devil's advocate, since I really do think this is a bad idea, with all the accident videos of kids getting run over/killed in accidents/etc, it would be somewhat nice knowing that your child didn't make it to school just  for safety reasons.

So you're saying Anime trucks aren't just a meme?

Image result for zombieland saga car

What next? Exploding neck collars? Wait, that's Japan. Move along now...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

23 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

So you're saying Anime trucks aren't just a meme?

Image result for zombieland saga car

Be aware. Truck-kun is out for blood and will not stop until all of Japan is under his tracks.

If it wasn't for the fact that this was China I'd be worried, but since China is such a glowing source of privacy I doubt this would pass in most democratic countries.