UAP-AC-PRO vs. UAP-nanoHD

Hello again.

I'm ordering a access point today/monday to test out if 1 AP covers enough of the rooms (entire 1. floor) or if I should do 2 APs each floor.

Ubiquiti have this new nanoHD that looks similar to the AC-PRO, have a smaler size and higher speed (1300 vs. 1733), and about the identical price.

Its also something about a 3x3 vs 4x4 MIMO (?), loosing the secondary port (?), and not being able to aggregate (?).

I were kinda ready to jump on the nanoHD for future proofing reasons - until I unfortunately read the YT comments and got scared by big words and stuff.

Little info about what the use will be:

- Normal home stuff. There will be plenty cat6 outlets everywhere to drive desktop PCs and internett TVs. Only laptops and phones will use wireless, maybe 1 PS4.

- There will be 2xcat6 available for each AP.

- Minimum 3 APs will be installed.

So the question is, which to chose.

//

Homesites to the two APs below:

https://unifi-nanohd.ubnt.com/

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/

//

I would go for the nano HD, but not it is single ethernet port only and that the 2.4 GHz is slower than the AC Pro. The Mu-MIMO and 4x4 antenna makes the nanoHD a win here.

Also if you had plans to LAG the AC-Pro ethernet ports, you can't. You can have it use one for POE and the other for data though.

Also make sure you have the needed POE injectors (Unless you're getting a POE switch).

Finally, the nanoHD uses a different bracket than the AC Pro and higher models. You can easily swap an AC Pro for a AC HD or higher since they use the same bracket.

7 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Also make sure you have the needed POE injectors (Unless you're getting a POE switch).

I'd personally get a PoE switch and patch the ports dedicated to the APs to it, it's a super clean solution and won't require separate power outlets and ethernet cables. 

24 minutes ago, Not Eligible For Stars said:

I'm ordering a access point today/monday to test out if 1 AP covers enough of the rooms (entire 1. floor) or if I should do 2 APs each floor.

Unless you have a massive house, a single access point in a central location should be enough. One for each floor is ideal. The great thing about Ubiquiti in a situation like that is that you can sync the same config to all for a nice mesh network.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

7 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

I would go for the nano HD, but not it is single ethernet port only and that the 2.4 GHz is slower than the AC Pro. The Mu-MIMO and 4x4 antenna makes the nanoHD a win here.

Also if you had plans to LAG the AC-Pro ethernet ports, you can't. You can have it use one for POE and the other for data though.

Finally, the nanoHD uses a different bracket than the AC Pro and higher models. You can easily swap an AC Pro for a AC HD or higher since they use the same bracket.

Not sure what "LAG the AC-Pro ethernet ports" means, but I was planning on using one cable for now and saving the other for the future - unless i can use them both and duble the speed. I've installed about 50 of the PRO's and never used the secondary port. I was told it was for when u needed to continue the cable or something.

The extra cat6 cable gets installed because my cables come in 20mm pre-pulled corrugated pipes with options of 2xcat6+coax, 2xcat6, 1xcat6 - and i only had the first 2 options on hand at installation day + its for myself, and i like to spoil myself.

1 minute ago, Not Eligible For Stars said:

Not sure what "LAG the AC-Pro ethernet ports" means, but I was planning on using one cable for now and saving the other for the future - unless i can use them both and duble the speed. I've installed about 50 of the PRO's and never used the secondary port. I was told it was for when u needed to continue the cable or something.

The extra cat6 cable gets installed because my cables come in 20mm pre-pulled corrugated pipes with options of 2xcat6+coax, 2xcat6, 1xcat6 - and i only had the first 2 options on hand at installation day + its for myself, and i like to spoil myself.

LAG = Link aggregation. Lets you bond two network ports together for more connections / failover (Will not increase 1Gb/s speed though)

Yeah, it's better just to have two lines with one as a spare for sure (especially with the labor involved in pulling the cable)

Yeah, you can use the secondary port as either pass through, or to have it be a backup port. I wish you like with the cable install. I had my fair share of attic crawling to run CAT6

18 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I'd personally get a PoE switch and patch the ports dedicated to the APs to it, it's a super clean solution and won't require separate power outlets and ethernet cables.  

Unless you have a massive house, a single access point in a central location should be enough. One for each floor is ideal. The great thing about Ubiquiti in a situation like that is that you can sync the same config to all for a nice mesh network. 

PoE switch is to come, I will have to drive it on PoE injector for the next 3-4 months.

Doing mesh is what I aim for. 1 for each floor and one for a toilet that by some strange reason stops all signals even tho its 4m away from the transmitter.

2 minutes ago, Not Eligible For Stars said:

PoE switch is to come, I will have to drive it on PoE injector for the next 3-4 months.

Doing mesh is what I aim for. 1 for each floor and one for a toilet that by some strange reason stops all signals even tho its 4m away from the transmitter.

So perfect WiFi on the John is a priority? Haha, oh how the world has changed :D 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

@NelizMastr & @scottyseng.

Ordered this PoE injector:

https://www.dustin.no/product/5011057517/tpe-115gi-gigabit-poe-injector

How is it with the Ubiquiti In-Wall HD access point, is it just as good? (it has the same specs atleast)

It is what I plan to use on the bathroom.

Reason i need it to be on the wall is the room gets misty as **** when the shower is in use and its aesthetically more pleasing to place it on the wall cuz the fan already is occupying center of the celling.

But, could the Nano be mounted vertical on wall without losing speed?

#funfact #firstworldproblems

The bathroom is 4 square meters, and half of it is shower. This room has #1 priority for high-speed internett ?

Link to the product in question bellow:

https://inwall-hd.ubnt.com/

@scottyseng I have pulled the cables myself. I have had a experience or two with bad working positions in attics and "earth-basements" as an electrician. It can be very crap sometimes.

That is why I have limited knowledge with the networking setup and products, as I mostly pull cables and do physical setup. Its good to be a student now tho ? eating noodles for every meal.

UAP-IW-HD_Front_Angle_07602c35-9111-412d-a5b6-d08fad03d7fb_1024x1024.png

13 hours ago, scottyseng said:

LAG = Link aggregation. Lets you bond two network ports together for more connections / failover (Will not increase 1Gb/s speed though)

Yeah, it's better just to have two lines with one as a spare for sure (especially with the labor involved in pulling the cable)

Yeah, the second port on anything but the super high end APs are purely for convenience and redundancy. There's not much of a reason for LAG on any of these APs anyways as they are not going to saturate 1Gbps. The Nano will get close if you have a whole bunch of Wave 2 AC devices hitting DL all at once but it won't quite get there and you're unlikely to do this in a home environment anyways. Always good to run two cables but only because the effort involved in running the cable is high and the cost of the cable itself is trivial

9 hours ago, Not Eligible For Stars said:

Ordered this PoE injector:

https://www.dustin.no/product/5011057517/tpe-115gi-gigabit-poe-injector

How is it with the Ubiquiti In-Wall HD access point, is it just as good?

It's worth pointing out that most of these APs come with a PoE injector in the box. From memory I think the only ones that don't are the multi-packs.

In terms of the in-wall AP I don't think the range is quite as good because it has a smaller antennae array. The only reason I'd go with one of those is if you were installing it over an existing wallplate or if you wanted to piggyback a PoE device via the PoE passthrough like a camera or a VOIP phone. If you're doing new cable runs anyways I'd just run one for the AP and one two a couple of ports in a standard wallplate for a better and cheaper end result than the In-Wall HD.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing