~200€ GPU for aging system?

SirCrimson

Hi LTT,

I’m looking to replace my broken R9 290x. My system is aging slightly but I’m willing to spend around 200 bucks on it. No preferences in regards to Nvidia or ATI, simply need to get it back up and running. A quick search shows that the RX 580 has lowered in price a lot and might be a good candidate, however I would like some more opinions from people who actually know their shit. Noise doesn’t matter much to me. I work in 3D environments as well as game engines, and I like to play GTA V a lot. I use 2 monitors but would not mind a third if possible (not necessary though). My CPU used to be the bottleneck before so I don’t expect that to change much. 

Here are my current specs:

Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP 1155 Socket
CPU: Intel(R) Core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600 4x4GB
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 10 500W 
Storage: Samsung SSD 830 Series 256 GB + Seagate HDD ST2000DM006-2DM164 2TB

Any advice is highly appreciated,

Thank you

Yeah, I'd say the 580 is a great choice. I doubt there'd be much of a bottleneck to be spoke of in that, there'd be a guaranteed increase in performance for you and it would handle GTA V, 3 monitors etc fine -- if anyone else is checking this out please do correct me if I'm wrong! 

A quick search from me shows that you can get a XFX RX 580 for 189 Euros (You said euros but used $ in your post so idk / $189 on amazon but out of stock rn, so could go up to $249.89 from 'OutletPC' I live in UK so I'm not sure what kind of site they are) 

And anyway, I'm gonna need to go for like... 10 hours because my right eye is literally starting to go blind from staying awake too long! Best of luck.

An RX 580 would do the job quite nicely.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

You can find a 980ti used for about 300 CAD ($220 USD), why not look at the used market. They offer more value for the money, if there are no used option available then the 580 is fine.

"Audiophilia... when you start to hear voices in your head."

Wow you guys, thanks for the quick replies already.

It's € for me but the number can be skewed in either direction so any suggestion stays relevant. Which particular RX 580 model would you guys suggest to me and why? The power supply is pretty good I think, and noise is not an issue due to good headphones, also my case has great air circulation. I'm certainly not looking for a huge leap in performance, more like something to bridge the gap until I upgrade my system to something modern in a few years.

Regarding the used market, I heard that GPU's were often used for mining so I'm not too keen on getting one that might blow up in me in a few months already. Any insight on this?

Thanks a lot so far.

1 hour ago, SirCrimson said:
I’m looking to replace my broken R9 290x. My system is aging slightly but I’m willing to spend around 200 bucks on it. No preferences in regards to Nvidia or ATI, simply need to get it back up and running. A quick search shows that the RX 580 has lowered in price a lot and might be a good candidate, however I would like some more opinions from people who actually know their shit. Noise doesn’t matter much to me. I work in 3D environments as well as game engines, and I like to play GTA V a lot. I use 2 monitors but would not mind a third if possible (not necessary though). My CPU used to be the bottleneck before so I don’t expect that to change much. 

Here are my current specs:

Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP 1155 Socket
CPU: Intel(R) Core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600 4x4GB
Storage: Samsung SSD 830 Series 256 GB + Seagate HDD ST2000DM006-2DM164 2TB

Any advice is highly appreciated,

Thank you

39 minutes ago, Froug said:

What power supply do you have?

Dude, read OP's initial post

45 minutes ago, aless83 said:

Dude, read OP's initial post

Ah sorry, thank you.

Anyway to OP, that power supply is good for the upgrade to the RX 580.

9 hours ago, SirCrimson said:

Wow you guys, thanks for the quick replies already.

It's € for me but the number can be skewed in either direction so any suggestion stays relevant. Which particular RX 580 model would you guys suggest to me and why? The power supply is pretty good I think, and noise is not an issue due to good headphones, also my case has great air circulation. I'm certainly not looking for a huge leap in performance, more like something to bridge the gap until I upgrade my system to something modern in a few years.

Regarding the used market, I heard that GPU's were often used for mining so I'm not too keen on getting one that might blow up in me in a few months already. Any insight on this?

Thanks a lot so far.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/MsWfrH/xfx-radeon-rx-580-8gb-gts-xxx-ed-video-card-rx-580p8dfd6 (€198) Honestly the XFX cards I've heard good things about - personally after getting a recommendation I'd make a new post and ask again for insight onto those specific cards. I'm not keen on getting used GPUs but if you do your research into the buyer it's possible that those have never been used for mining. But then again, a lot of miners do try to get rid of their GPUs online after use so it's up to you really. 

Anyway, I've heard good things about that XFX card - however there's another XFX card listed (still 580) which has a slightly higher core clock for €207. 

Note: Those GPUs have 3 displayports, 1 hdmi and a dvi-d dual link connection port so you'll have to be sure your monitor(s) have those connections. Displayport has caused me issues before, but I currently have 2 of my monitors running on DP and the other on VGA cause my current card doesn't have 3 DP (rip). One of my monitor's connected via DP is an Asus VG248QE, this gave me an error saying "No input found." When connected via DP but after turning it off at the socket and then turning it back on after a minute, plus a little fiddling with getting the DP out then pushing it back in. It seemed to work after a few tries, and it hasn't been a problem since it has started working. I included this little story because you might get a similar problem and it took me a couple hours to try and find a solution. Best of luck! 

If you play GTA get the 8GB so you can max out settings to right under 8GB.

Hi again,

I'm currently looking at a Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB for 210€ and was wondering what speaks for this model and not one of the others, like the one from XFX, PowerColor or MSI. Any insight on this? Noise is not an issue here and I have a Coolermaster Cosmos S with nice air circulation.

Awesome advice all around so far, thank you all!

1 hour ago, SirCrimson said:

Hi again,

I'm currently looking at a Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB for 210€ and was wondering what speaks for this model and not one of the others, like the one from XFX, PowerColor or MSI. Any insight on this? Noise is not an issue here and I have a Coolermaster Cosmos S with nice air circulation.

Awesome advice all around so far, thank you all!

That's a good card from a good company. XFX and Sapphire are consistently good options for AMD cards. PowerColor is iffy, MSI is fine. 

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Alright so,

Currently looking at deals for a 8GB Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+ for 219€ and an 8GB XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black for 186€, the Core varient goes for even cheaper. That price difference seems substantial enough for me to consider which one of them I would choose. Both were recommended to me but I think I need help figuring out which one I want. Would you say the increase in performance/cooling is worth the 40+ bucks?

I'm trying my best to look at reviews and comparisons but there are so many similar cards that it's hard to find what I'm looking for, so I figured I'd ask here again.

Thank you