The iPhone XR sold better than the iPhone X in its first month

DrMacintosh
3 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

A low number of samples doesn't necessarily invalidate the validity of a statistical analysis so long as that sample is representative of the population. Just like how a large sample size doesn't automatically validate the results of an analysis. 

Whether or not the sample comes from a statically relevant group is another story.

in this case it literally is too low to conclude any validation from it, considering Apple sells tens (hundreds?) of millions of units, a sample of >0,00000165% if far, far less than relevant. By any statistics, this is not enough of a sample. For all we know it may be geographic region specific. We know that Apple tells that XR is selling like crazy, yet they are restarting the iPhone X line due to bad sales, so this raises some eyebrows. I know that I have yet to see a single XR in the wild while working for our largest carrier, while I have seen quite a few XS. That is the reason that I say it may be region specific because I am sure it is outselling the XS. 

To conclude, it can not be representative of any population with 165 consumers as a sample. And there is no argument that can make such a small sample valid. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

15 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

A low number of samples doesn't necessarily invalidate the validity of a statistical analysis so long as that sample is representative of the population. Just like how a large sample size doesn't automatically validate the results of an analysis. 

Whether or not the sample comes from a statically relevant group is another story.

Asking 165 random people on the streets of NYC. Or heck, 165 iPhone owners of nyc, wouldn't give a real world perspective. 

And even then. 165 10th gen iphone owners out of millions? The sample size is too small and amounts to empirical data at best. 

Could have happened to pick mostly iphone xr owners by chance with only 165 people. Of which we dont even know all 165 had purchased a 10th gen iphone at all. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

And even then. 165 10th gen iphone owners out of millions? The sample size is too small and amounts to empirical data at best. 

If your population was correctly distributed, you could easily create data from 165 people out of millions. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

If your population was correctly distributed, you could easily create data from 165 people out of millions. 

You really mean to tell me that 0.02% of 1 million can give you relevant data to the number of iPhones sold when scaled up?

1 million obviously being extremely conservative.

It's literally useless data in any sense. 165 people could die out of 1mil from 1 disease. Doesnt mean there's an epidemic suddenly. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

It's literally useless data in any sense. 165 people could die out of 1mil from 1 disease. Doesnt mean there's an epidemic suddenly. 

Such is stats

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

You really mean to tell me that 0.02% of 1 million can give you relevant data to the number of iPhones sold when scaled up?

Yes. 

5 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

It's only useless data if it's not properly distributed across the population -- which is true for a massive sample size as well.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

The iPhone X was the strongest-selling model throughout virtually its entire lifespan, and helped Apple continue year-over-year unit gains.  Some people thought it was a failure because they saw one misleading supply chain report about cutting back production and took that as gospel.

Also, why would you want Apple's sales to decline?  I don't know about you, but I like the thought of having real choice and competition in the smartphone market.  I don't want Google to have an absolute monopoly that strangles variety and encourages complacency.

I don't want apple to fall out, I want them to get their crap together and listen to what consumers actually want, instead of shoving what they want to do down our throats, notches, headphone jack removal, all stupid stuff that people copy because apple convices everyone its the way forward. All the while their os gets more and more unreliable, more buggy, more crashes, it's nuts. I've had an iphone since the original iphone and I've never been more frustrated than I was with the x, I switched to the note 9 and was blown away, and it's a very common story, I'd love to see a switching from ios to android chart for this year becuase of all the circles I'm in it's been quite the exodus from apple.

22 minutes ago, suits said:

and listen to what consumers actually want, instead of shoving what they want to do down our throats

That’s not how Apple works. They move forward and innovate by ignoring the majority of user requests. You need a vision to be successful. 

42 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

That’s not how Apple works. They move forward and innovate by ignoring the majority of user requests. You need a vision to be successful. 

They don't innovate anymore though, they just change things to sell more product. Remove the headphone jack sell more crappy wireless headphones. Change the screen size, sell more cases and screen protectors. No one has innovate much in phones in recent history, just money grab

10 minutes ago, suits said:

They don't innovate anymore though, they just change things to sell more product. 

Maybe, but that is just your opinion 

5 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

Yes, a larger well distributed sample size is better than a smaller well distributed sample size. But a small well distributed sample size can still give statistically meaningful results while a poorly distributed large sample size can give you complete garbage.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

1 million obviously being extremely conservative.

I think the issue here is that while it seems that such a small number of survey respondents would yield unpredictable results, the fact is if the sample is unbiased and representative of the population then those results will scale.  What is important is the confidence interval, which can be calculated.  If the confidence level is 95% then of those 165 people you'd can reasonably expect 24 to 39 are lying about buying an XR.  Which makes the estimation by this survey to be at least 77% accurate. That's not something you'd bet on but it still gives a positive indication of ownership

Like all statistics though, big surveys are often just as wrong as small surveys, but for the most part they are only wrong in the way we draw conclusions as the data itself is still accurate. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

13 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I don't think some of it counts, to be honest. 

Like the headphone jack. It's been 2 years since and quite honesty, nothing much has changed aside from Bluetooth headphones now having some el-cheapo options. 

The assumption was that its removal would drive the adoption of wireless but from my perspective at least, it's largely been in the same place as 2016 or earlier 

I do credit that decision for me getting the 1000XM2 though xd

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, D13H4RD said:

The assumption was that its removal would drive the adoption of wireless

I don't think that was the assumption apple made, I think that was just the excuse people used to justify it happening. The problem is that a good set of headphones/earbuds should last years, 5 to 10 years,  They have got plenty of dongles to sell in that time.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I don't think that was the assumption apple made, I think that was just the excuse people used to justify it happening.

Precisely that. 

I still feel that this was a calculated business tactic, especially to make certain accessories look tempting 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

Like the headphone jack. It's been 2 years since and quite honesty, nothing much has changed aside from Bluetooth headphones now having some el-cheapo options

nothing as changed

bluetooth headphones are still more expensive than their wired counterpart, still sound worse than what you can get for the same price on the wired side, brought us the mess of USB-C and everyone doing their own thing as if we went back to 1990s when everyone had their own charge and data connector, and didn't bring anything new or good to make me say: "oh yeah, this couldn't be done before"

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

19 hours ago, suits said:

I don't want apple to fall out, I want them to get their crap together and listen to what consumers actually want, instead of shoving what they want to do down our throats, notches, headphone jack removal, all stupid stuff that people copy because apple convices everyone its the way forward. All the while their os gets more and more unreliable, more buggy, more crashes, it's nuts. I've had an iphone since the original iphone and I've never been more frustrated than I was with the x, I switched to the note 9 and was blown away, and it's a very common story, I'd love to see a switching from ios to android chart for this year becuase of all the circles I'm in it's been quite the exodus from apple.

See, I've generally had very reliable experiences with my iPhones in recent years, including my XS... worst that happened was an OS update that didn't take properly and required a restore.  That's not to delegitimize your experience, just that you might have left at a nadir for reliability and that anecdotal experience might vary.

Switching stats on a broad level might be hard to pin down, but IDC says Apple's global market share actually went up in the third quarter (July to September).  Shipments only increased slightly, but rivals like Samsung, Oppo and "others" (LG, Sony, HTC, etc.) saw significant drops.  So it doesn't look like people are switching in droves.

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

See, I've generally had very reliable experiences with my iPhones in recent years, including my XS... worst that happened was an OS update that didn't take properly and required a restore.  That's not to delegitimize your experience, just that you might have left at a nadir for reliability and that anecdotal experience might vary.

Switching stats on a broad level might be hard to pin down, but IDC says Apple's global market share actually went up in the third quarter (July to September).  Shipments only increased slightly, but rivals like Samsung, Oppo and "others" (LG, Sony, HTC, etc.) saw significant drops.  So it doesn't look like people are switching in droves.

But that happens every year, very few new android phones come out in the 3rd quarter. They come out in the beginning of the year or the end of the year

On 12/29/2018 at 1:01 AM, suits said:

Well that's your story. 

For me I switched from owning either pure android and oneplus one to an iPhone 7 and I ended up buying XS Max as an upgrade.

I dont want to buy a $1000 hardware. You can easily switch that note 9 to a oneplus 6T and you will still be very happy, a phone that costs more or less half of the note 9. I paid $1000 for a phone and I'm getting one of the best hardware in the market along with guaranteed software support, store networks around the world that I can always go to for repairs & other problem, along with a great used selling price

38 minutes ago, xtroria said:

Well that's your story. 

For me I switched from owning either pure android and oneplus one to an iPhone 7 and I ended up buying XS Max as an upgrade.

I dont want to buy a $1000 hardware. You can easily switch that note 9 to a oneplus 6T and you will still be very happy, a phone that costs more or less half of the note 9. I paid $1000 for a phone and I'm getting one of the best hardware in the market along with guaranteed software support, store networks around the world that I can always go to for repairs & other problem, along with a great used selling price

No I wouldn't, because one plus followed Apple and got rid of the head phone jack, which I use for hours every single day. There are those of us who are musicians by profession and blue tooth is just so horrible sounding comparatively, not to mention other problems with it

On 12/28/2018 at 7:24 PM, DrMacintosh said:

How are the iPhone XS, XS Max and the XR innovative in your opinion over the iPhone X? Definitely not the design and performance because that's virtually the same in the real world, so does something else make them "a step forward" for Apple that I'm not aware of?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 hour ago, Morgan MLGman said:

How are the iPhone XS, XS Max and the XR innovative in your opinion over the iPhone X? 

I was more talking about Apple overall, and not necessarily in specific products on the market. 

Though the iPhone X was innovative in its OLED screen curving tech where the display actually folds over onto itself, allowing for thin bezels and no other phone has that tech if I’m not mistaken. As for the latest models, the X/R/s/Max added smart HDR for photo and video which is industry leading, though idk if it counts as innovative....but it’s an S year, not really the time where all the innovating takes place. 

The Iphone XR is the only thing that kept me from switching to an android device this year. Can't say I'm as wowed by this one as my past iphones, but the difference in processor performance from my 6s plus is enough that I'm not regretting the purchase. The much better battery life is a big bonus too. Still feeling doubtful that I'll be buying another iphone in the future if they keep trying to push their phones into the 1k range.

PHONE: Iphone XR 64GB | LAPTOP: 2011 Macbook Pro 1TB HDD | DESKTOP: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout, Ryzen 2700x, Sapphire Nitro+ 580, 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz, 3TB HDD