The iPhone XR sold better than the iPhone X in its first month

DrMacintosh

That's what happens when you make a phone that's surprisingly compelling for its price tag.

Neither the Xs nor Xs Max interest me: they're too expensive for what they are, at least to me. But the Xr interests the fuck out of me and its price isn't all too bad.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

15 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Not to mention that the XR is actually pretty compelling, even ignoring it being cheaper than the XS, given the larger screen. 

It's the iPhone I would pick of all 3, realistically. 

Yes, even though the display isn't quite FHD. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

28 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

That's what happens when you make a phone that's surprisingly compelling for its price tag.

Neither the Xs nor Xs Max interest me: they're too expensive for what they are, at least to me. But the Xr interests the fuck out of me and its price isn't all too bad.

That must differentiate from country to country then. When it launched here it costed more than a new Note 9. That is not compelling at all. Needless to say that Apple bumped the prices significantly this year. Even now the cheapest one is $1150. That is no way compelling, that is expensive as fuck by every metric. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

But how many did it sell? Weren't iPhone x sales lower than expected? And aren't iPhone xs sales lower than expected. All this does is sure that people hopefully getting tired of apples crap.

5 minutes ago, suits said:

All this does is sure that people hopefully getting tired of apples crap.

But how can you say that if you don’t have actual sales numbers to go off of ?

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

25 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

That must differentiate from country to country then. When it launched here it costed more than a new Note 9. That is not compelling at all. Needless to say that Apple bumped the prices significantly this year. Even now the cheapest one is $1150. That is no way compelling, that is expensive as fuck by every metric. 

Here in the United States, the Xr launched at $749. Not cheap, but for an iPhone, that's not too bad, especially if you prefer iOS over Android.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

But how can you say that if you don’t have actual sales numbers to go off of ?

Just the simple fact that the cheap option is out selling the main line and the high end. That didn't happen last time they had a cheap option, when Apple could do no wrong, people still shelled out for the top end model, the economy is in a much better place than it was then; yet people aren't paying top dollar for the brand that prides itself as a fashion statement and elite.

1 minute ago, handymanshandle said:

Here in the United States, the Xr launched at $749. Not cheap, but for an iPhone, that's not too bad, especially if you prefer iOS over Android.

I mean my 6s Plus Costner’s me $800 new, saving $750 for a better phone is pretty compelling. But yeah, definitely not cheap no matter how you spin it. 

I belive Apple is still doing major buy back credits though. I think Apple would give me $200 for this phone bringing the cost down to $450. It’s a nice way to entice upgrades and I almost took advantage of it, almost. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, suits said:

Just the simple fact that the cheap option is out selling the main line and the high end. That didn't happen last time they had a cheap option

Cheap is relative. Lower spec iPhones have always outsold the highest tier models. 

when the regular consumer is given a lower priced option, chances are they will take that one.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

52 minutes ago, Rune said:

The f? This survey is worthless. How'd this make it to news lol

It's positive iPhone marketing, don't you know? 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

when the regular consumer is given a lower priced option, chances are they will take that one.

Especially if it performs identically to its more expensive cousins, and even packing a lot of similar hardware. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

I mean my 6s Plus Costner’s me $800 new, saving $750 for a better phone is pretty compelling. But yeah, definitely not cheap no matter how you spin it. 

I belive Apple is still doing major buy back credits though. I think Apple would give me $200 for this phone bringing the cost down to $450. It’s a nice way to entice upgrades and I almost took advantage of it, almost. 

Love Apple for their buyback. When my iPhone 7 was toast, a new refurbished one only cost me $500 AUD, down from $1249 AUD (256GB model), thanks to me handing in my old one. I wonder how much my new one would get?

Hardly a surprise. It‘s the cheapest current generation iPhone you can buy, and Apple didn‘t exactly go out of their way to promote the benefits of the more expensive models. Not that they‘re all that relevant to the average consumer, anyway. 

It‘s sad, really. Apple leaving out 3D Touch on their „budget“ offering really hinders the evolution of the technology and ultimately means it can‘t become more relevant than it currently is. And it‘s literally another way to interact with your device, so it should be a big deal.

It‘ll be interesting to see what Apple will do with next year‘s iPhone lineup and whether they plan to keep the three different price points. Given that the Xr seems to be quite popular, I could also see them trying to cut some more corners on the cheaper phone to entice people to go for the premium model.

2 hours ago, Kevaros said:

Hardly a surprise. It‘s the cheapest current generation iPhone you can buy, and Apple didn‘t exactly go out of their way to promote the benefits of the more expensive models. Not that they‘re all that relevant to the average consumer, anyway. 

It‘s sad, really. Apple leaving out 3D Touch on their „budget“ offering really hinders the evolution of the technology and ultimately means it can‘t become more relevant than it currently is. And it‘s literally another way to interact with your device, so it should be a big deal.

It‘ll be interesting to see what Apple will do with next year‘s iPhone lineup and whether they plan to keep the three different price points. Given that the Xr seems to be quite popular, I could also see them trying to cut some more corners on the cheaper phone to entice people to go for the premium model.

3D touch was a good idea, but it's not something that ever really caught on sadly. At this point it's been around for three years with no real adoption/advancement, so it's not too concerning that it's being dropped on the lower end (even if it eventually gets dropped from the rest too).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

8 hours ago, Rune said:

The f? This survey is worthless. How'd this make it to news lol

Yeah I wanted to comment on that as well. Did they lose a 0 somewhere there or what? xD

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

30 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

3D touch was a good idea, but it's not something that ever really caught on sadly. At this point it's been around for three years with no real adoption/advancement, so it's not too concerning that it's being dropped on the lower end (even if it eventually gets dropped from the rest too).

You're right, but I think developers faced the challenge that some of the decently modern phones were always missing 3D Touch, so they couldn't implement important features unless they were willing to neglect iPhone 5s, 6 and SE customers.

Apple had the chance to push the technology by implementing it across the entire range, so that in the near future, all devices that received the latest iOS would also be able to use 3D Touch. That's when Apple and third-party developers alike could've finally started to support 3D Touch in more meaningful ways. However, given that the Xr is now a thing, that's probably not going to happen anytime soon, meaning Apple effectively ruined any chance of 3D Touch being used to its fullest potential.

Think of what 3D Touch could've been if they implemented it on all their devices. On iPads, it could've been a milestone towards making it a more grown-up laptop replacement - a way to invoke right-click-like context menus in pro apps, a way to make more precise selections (like the keyboard cursor), there were so many possibilites.

10 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Is this Apple maths or am I missing something? :)

750 - 200 ≠ 450

In all seriousness though, I've just had a look at the website and they appear to be offering $250.00 for a 6S Plus in decent condition.

11 hours ago, suits said:

But how many did it sell? Weren't iPhone x sales lower than expected? And aren't iPhone xs sales lower than expected. All this does is sure that people hopefully getting tired of apples crap.

The iPhone X was the strongest-selling model throughout virtually its entire lifespan, and helped Apple continue year-over-year unit gains.  Some people thought it was a failure because they saw one misleading supply chain report about cutting back production and took that as gospel.

Also, why would you want Apple's sales to decline?  I don't know about you, but I like the thought of having real choice and competition in the smartphone market.  I don't want Google to have an absolute monopoly that strangles variety and encourages complacency.

15 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I don't want Google to have an absolute monopoly that strangles variety and encourages complacency.

But without Apple around to bother Google, they could finally come out and truly do the work that they've always wanted to do -- develop the best product and sell it at a loss in order to most benefit the consumer.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Maybe im missing something but does the article say it only sampled 165 us comsumers??? 165 people??? That's a worthless metric if so

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

17 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

But without Apple around to bother Google, they could finally come out and truly do the work that they've always wanted to do -- develop the best product and sell it at a loss in order to most benefit the consumer.

I see what you did there!

13 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Maybe in missing something but does the article say nbn it only sampled 165 us comsumers??? 165 people??? That's a worthless metric if so

Not completely worthless, since it jives with what Apple itself has reported (the iPhone XR has been its top-selling model since its debut), but I agree they should have a much larger sample to be truly representative.

20 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Maybe in missing something but does the article say nbn it only sampled 165 us comsumers??? 165 people??? That's a worthless metric if so

A low number of samples doesn't necessarily invalidate the validity of a statistical analysis so long as that sample is representative of the population. Just like how a large sample size doesn't automatically validate the results of an analysis. 

Whether or not the sample comes from a statically relevant group is another story.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler