Is a 5400rpm 2 tb drive ok to use for backup of a pc

Ben17
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
16 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, the most reliable is the ironwolf. they come with a 3 year warrenty, a option for a rescue service plan, optimization for nas use, things like that. wd blue and barracua are pretty good too, but not officially meant for nas use. i personally have a blue and a barracuda, and they are still going strong

Warranty does not equal reliability.

The rescue plan comes with the Pro ironwolfs and Pro barracuda drives.

They're not using the drive in a NAS

There are down sides to the ironwolfs, such as higher noise and power usage. 

@Ben17 Any of the drives mentioned would be fine. The 2tb WD blue would be suitable for your needs and appears to be the cheapest of the options available, so I would recommend that.

Any HDD can fail unexpectedly. That's why it's important to back up any data you wouldnt want to lose.

Is a 5400rpm 2 tb drive ok to use for backup of a pc?  Speed isn't critical thanks

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

i took a quick look at the website, why wouldn't you get a barracuda or ironwolf for a little more?

I'm ordering from that site anyway so I thought I would take advantage of the delivery and get that also. I'm not very knowledge in this area so I thought I would check that it is actually a reliable drive. Thanks Ben

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

Just now, Ben17 said:

I'm ordering from that site anyway so I thought I would take advantage of the delivery and get that also. I'm not very knowledge in this area so I thought I would check that it is actually a reliable drive. Thanks Ben

no, they are drives from seagate that were listed on that site for a little more. they are faster, and the ironwolf is more meant for nas use than a wd blue

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

no, they are drives from seagate that were listed on that site for a little more. they are faster, and the ironwolf is more meant for nas use than a wd blue

Ok thanks which would u recommend out if them thanks  Ben

Just now, Ben17 said:

well, the most reliable is the ironwolf. they come with a 3 year warrenty, a option for a rescue service plan, optimization for nas use, things like that. wd blue and barracua are pretty good too, but not officially meant for nas use. i personally have a blue and a barracuda, and they are still going strong

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

I'm  not planning to use it a nas just inside my PC as a backup hard drive to reduce my risk of losing data as I have had that happen to me before with a hard drives and I think should backup my data before my current drive fails! Thanks Ben

3 minutes ago, Ben17 said:

If all you are doing is backing up your pc and you don't care about how long it would take to back up your pc then all of them will work. The blue is a standard consumer hard drive so it will have your typical consumer hard drive reliability same with the barracuda. 

1 minute ago, Ben17 said:

I'm  not planning to use it a nas just inside my PC as a backup hard drive to reduce my risk of losing data as I have had that happen to me before with a hard drives and I think should backup my data before my current drive fails! Thanks Ben

okay. then i would say the barracuda is better than this wd blue.

7 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

My current drive 

IMG_20181227_163513.jpg

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

okay. then i would say the barracuda is better than this wd blue.

Roughly how long do WD blue drives last and do they tell u when there failing thanks Ben

5 minutes ago, Ben17 said:

Roughly how long do WD blue drives last and do they tell u when there failing thanks Ben

Depending on how often you use them, as a back-up they will outlive your PC

3 minutes ago, tJuggernaut29 said:

Depending on how often you use them, as a back-up they will outlive your PC

Is this drive a good deal already getting PC case from there so taking advantage of the delivery charge https://www.komplett.ie/western-digital-blue-2-tb/20555442/product 

Thanks Ben

16 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

@Ben17 Any of the drives mentioned would be fine. The 2tb WD blue would be suitable for your needs and appears to be the cheapest of the options available, so I would recommend that.

Any HDD can fail unexpectedly. That's why it's important to back up any data you wouldnt want to lose.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, Ben17 said:

Is this drive a good deal already getting PC case from there so taking advantage of the delivery charge https://www.komplett.ie/western-digital-blue-2-tb/20555442/product 

Thanks Ben

If you shop around you might find it a couple euro cheaper, but it probably won't be enough to offset delivery charges.

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Thanks that's why did decided to get it as it was a high capacity drive and from a retupable manafucturer and a good price

39 minutes ago, Spotty said:

the option is there for non-pro ironwolves. but i agree here.

1 hour ago, Ben17 said:

Is a 5400rpm 2 tb drive ok to use for backup of a pc?  Speed isn't critical thanks

On its own it is an extra layer of security, but it can also fail. I personally prefer my backup to be on a raid for extra security. That way if one drive fails your data is still safe and you can add a new drive and rebuild the raid. I think the most important question is how important are the items in these backups? If the information is critical then you should have it backed up much like you are trying to do (preferably with a raid) and also have a copy in the cloud.