9600k over heating

Shkevi

Hi guys i just built a sick rig today and i am having a problem. I purchased a cheap CPU cooler because the RGB looks frigging awesome, i am happy with the look but not the performance. Idle temps are at around 40-43C but while i game they sky rocket, after around 20 mins i was at 90c. I didnt stick for much longer to see what will happen, any ideas what can be wrong? I used MX-4 thermal paste, i might have used a little bit too much. I wanted to make sure it covers the whole cpu but it definitely wasnt a whole lot, pea size x2. The CPU cooler is called "aigo darkflash shadow". Another thing i noticed is that my TMPIN3 sits at around 60c, after a little research i found out thats the north bridge. Im guessing its that high because of the CPU? all the other bridges were at around 40c. Can someone help me please, thank you. Worst case scenario il have to get a water cooler. I HOPE not because i love how my set up looks now.

thumbnail_image1.jpg

You can get a Asus water cooler. They recently teamed up with Noctua to make a sick rgb water cooler with a display that can show any log or design you want while getting good temps. There are very few air coolers that can have a sick rgb platform while having amazing temps. Also your rig looks friggen sick bro!

12 minutes ago, Shkevi said:

I purchased a cheap CPU cooler because the RGB looks frigging awesome,

its just a $10~13 cooler, looks on par with intel stock cooler , thats why

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.155.189f136b3fbPqk&id=583728519486&ns=1&abbucket=6&skuId=3929772261765

10 minutes ago, A Raging Boner said:

You can get a Asus water cooler. They recently teamed up with Noctua to make a sick rgb water cooler with a display that can show any log or design you want while getting good temps. There are very few air coolers that can have a sick rgb platform while having amazing temps. Also your rig looks friggen sick bro!

Personally can't recommend the ASUS AIO. Mostly because it is freaking 200+$ for something that can perform the same for ~100$.

17 minutes ago, Shkevi said:

aigo darkflash shadow

Never heard of that thing. I would imagine it can't handle the TDP of the 9600k. Get a good Tower Air cooler or if you want get a H100i V2 or something like that and use your RGB fans.

Main And Only Build : CPU : Ryzen 5 1600x (OC to 4.2GHz), Cooler : Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 TT Premium Edition, Motherboard : Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, RAM : Trident Z RGB 16GB (2*8) 3000Mhz DDR4, GPU : Gigabyte Gaming GTX 1070 TI, PSU : EVGA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified, Storage : 250GB Samsung 860 Evo + 256GB SU800 + 2TB Seagate HDD.

1 minute ago, Maxisthemoose said:

Personally can't recommend the ASUS AIO. Mostly because it is freaking 200+$ for something that can perform the same for ~100$.

Never heard of that thing. I would imagine it can't handle the TDP of the 9600k. Get a good Tower Air cooler or if you want get a H100i V2 or something like that and use your RGB fans.

Yeah thats exactly what i was thinking.

1 minute ago, Shkevi said:

Yeah thats exactly what i was thinking.

Ok cool. Good luck with your cooling!

Edit : Nice PC btw, wish mine looked that sick!

Edited by Maxisthemoose
Nice

Main And Only Build : CPU : Ryzen 5 1600x (OC to 4.2GHz), Cooler : Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 TT Premium Edition, Motherboard : Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, RAM : Trident Z RGB 16GB (2*8) 3000Mhz DDR4, GPU : Gigabyte Gaming GTX 1070 TI, PSU : EVGA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified, Storage : 250GB Samsung 860 Evo + 256GB SU800 + 2TB Seagate HDD.

1 minute ago, Maxisthemoose said:

Ok cool. Good luck with your cooling!

Edit : Nice PC btw, wish mine looked that sick!

Thank you and thank you :)

since you will definitely need a new cooler and since rgb and looks are obviously important here are a few i would recommend 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2RdFf7/nzxt-kraken-x62-rev-2-982-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-rl-krx62-02

one of the best looking aios on the market just mount it on top of your case and replace its stock fans with your rgb ones

you could also get the h100i which doesn't look as good but is $30 cheaper

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hmBTwP/corsair-h100i-pro-750-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-cw-9060033-ww

if you want an air cooler I would recommend getting an 

dark rock/dark rock pro and putting some rgb fans on it

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FRYLrH/be-quiet-dark-rock-4-cpu-cooler-bk021

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FRYLrH/be-quiet-dark-rock-4-cpu-cooler-bk021

For the time being, get in your BIOS and undervolt your CPU. Chances are you can run stock clocks at less voltage than it shipped with, which will help your temps a lot. Shoot for like 1.14 volts

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

On 12/27/2018 at 5:48 AM, fasauceome said:

For the time being, get in your BIOS and undervolt your CPU. Chances are you can run stock clocks at less voltage than it shipped with, which will help your temps a lot. Shoot for like 1.14 volts

That really isn't undervolting. Stock voltage for most Intel CPUs is 1.1V. Its just about having manual voltage instead of letting mobo give out 1.35V power for CPU that doesn't really need it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Hi sorry guys just seen your messages now. I ended up getting a cooler master ml240r and temps are now running at 55 average under load. Sometimes 60 but thats max.

I have a 9600k attached to an EKWB Predator (240) and man I played one game of ROE and it hit 89c - I will try to redo the thermal paste tomorrow, but idle temps are just fine. Pretty scary... would adding another 240 cooler to my loop help? its seems so nuts that with this cooler I'm getting that hot. Any help/tips are greatly appreciated. 

Also, this time around I did use coolermaster paste, it seemed really thick... could that be an issue that it wasnt more on the greasy side?

On 1/7/2019 at 12:26 AM, glenicide said:

I have a 9600k attached to an EKWB Predator (240) and man I played one game of ROE and it hit 89c - I will try to redo the thermal paste tomorrow, but idle temps are just fine. Pretty scary... would adding another 240 cooler to my loop help? its seems so nuts that with this cooler I'm getting that hot. Any help/tips are greatly appreciated. 

Also, this time around I did use coolermaster paste, it seemed really thick... could that be an issue that it wasnt more on the greasy side?

EKWB block did not fit my mobo x( - corsair did - nothing breaking 44c XD - and AI Clocked ot 5.1ghz - happy boy