How to simply store this energy?

Laniakea
Go to solution Solved by SkyHound0202,
16 hours ago, LOLLIPOPSJSJSJ said:

My thinking is we'll have this notebook sized device in our backpacks and when we're walking all day we will have some juice at the end of the day, I don't know how little but hopefully an useable amount of energy. If doesn't work I'll make a flashlight out of it :D :D 

People tried this 2 years ago and failed. The energy generation is not enough to charge a phone.

If you want a realistic and operational means of power, you should look at projects like GravityLight and use DC generation instead.

How to store this energy for later use? Not expensive way :D 

Edit: Like charging my smartphone for example.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

a battery?

I wonder how to connect this two oh course. Otherwise, duh man :D 

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

a battery?

Your name suggests we're gonna have reaally good time together :D 

13 minutes ago, LOLLIPOPSJSJSJ said:

I wonder how to connect this two oh course. Otherwise, duh man :D 

a bridge rectifer into the battery, or get a boost/buck converter if your fancy, but cardboard generator means your probably going the quick and easy route.

So this is basically an alternator that generates alternating current (AC), note the periodical dimming/flashing of the light. In this case the coil outside is the stator and the magnet inside is the rotor.

Because the direction of the current changes in AC electricity, you cannot directly store the power, rather indirectly by using an rectifier to convert AC to DC, then store it in a battery or capacitor.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

Just now, SkyHound0202 said:

So this is basically an alternator that generates alternating current (AC), note the periodical dimming/flashing of the light. In this case the coil outside is the stator and the magnet inside is the rotor.

Because the direction of the current changes in AC electricity, you cannot directly store the power, rather indirectly by using an rectifier to convert AC to DC, then store it in a battery or capacitor.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

a bridge rectifer into the battery, or get a boost/buck converter if your fancy, but cardboard generator means your probably going the quick and easy route.

I'm more curious about the part I store this constanly starting-ending energy stream to a battery without you know, damaging it or something. And what kind of things I need? Like to store the energy in a regular lithium cell, and to charge my phone what component should I use?

1 minute ago, LOLLIPOPSJSJSJ said:

I'm more curious about the part I store this constanly starting-ending energy stream to a battery without you know, damaging it or something. And what kind of things I need? Like to store the energy in a regular lithium cell, and to charge my phone what component should I use?

If you want to charge your phone, just use a normal usb boost converter.

Really i wouldn't mess with lithium batteries, they like to do boom if not monitored right.

What voltage and current does this make?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

If you want to charge your phone, just use a normal usb boost converter.

Really i wouldn't mess with lithium batteries, they like to do boom if not monitored right.

What voltage and current does this make?

The design I'm planning to make is something more like linear motion, a coil wounded around an empty thin cylinder made of cardboard or something and a neodimium magnet inside attached to the both bases of the cylinder with eighter springs or elastic. While we move the cylinder we generate AC current and my project is to store that and use to charge my phone. Project dimensions goes something like cylinder magnet with 1,5cm diameter, 2-3cm height and free space of 10cm to wiggle for generating energy. My little knowledge of electrical engineering stuff is so much of a bottleneck for me that I would love if you helped in every possible part of this project :) 

The design I'm planning to make is something more like linear motion, a coil wounded around an empty thin cylinder made of cardboard or something and a neodimium magnet inside attached to the both bases of the cylinder with eighter springs or elastic. While we move the cylinder we generate AC current and my project is to store that and use to charge my phone. Project dimensions goes something like cylinder magnet with 1,5cm diameter, 2-3cm height and free space of 10cm to wiggle for generating energy. My little knowledge of electrical engineering stuff is so much of a bottleneck for me that I would love if you helped in every possible part of this project :) 

why not get a premade shake charger? They make these

How much voltage and current does this make? Id built a prototype to get this data or run the numbers.

There you go. Good luck.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

2 minutes ago, SkyHound0202 said:

There you go. Good luck.

Capacitor, not a battery for long term if I'm not totally wrong.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

why not get a premade shake charger? They make these

How much voltage and current does this make? Id built a prototype to get this data or run the numbers.

I have no idea man :D And I'm probably not gonna find any of those shake chargers.

16 minutes ago, LOLLIPOPSJSJSJ said:

Capacitor, not a battery for long term if I'm not totally wrong.

Replace the capacitor with a rectifier and battery combo. The rectifier to ensure you always convert AC to DC, regardless of the direction. The battery can then be charged by the DC output from rectifier. Use a nickel–metal hydride battery. It is safer and more resilient to intermittent charging.

For output, add a current-liming resistor and/or follow this page for a more reliable design.

Just now, LOLLIPOPSJSJSJ said:

I have no idea man :D And I'm probably not gonna find any of those shake chargers.

the problem with shake generators is that they don't make much power, your not gonna charge you phone with it, or you gonna need to shake much longer than you will charge. The flashlights have low power leds, and your phone pulls 5-10w to charge.

Just now, SkyHound0202 said:

Replace the capacitor with a rectifier and battery combo. The rectifier to ensure you always convert AC to DC, regardless of the direction. The battery can then be charged by the DC output from rectifier. Use a nickel–metal hydride battery. It is safer and more resilient to intermittent charging.

For output, add a current-liming resistor and/or follow this page for a more reliable design.

Thank you soooo much sir :))) I'll follow this instructions for the rest of the project hopefully and it'll work.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

the problem with shake generators is that they don't make much power, your not gonna charge you phone with it, or you gonna need to shake much longer than you will charge. The flashlights have low power leds, and your phone pulls 5-10w to charge.

My thinking is we'll have this notebook sized device in our backpacks and when we're walking all day we will have some juice at the end of the day, I don't know how little but hopefully an useable amount of energy. If doesn't work I'll make a flashlight out of it :D :D 

Just now, LOLLIPOPSJSJSJ said:

yea your not getting enough energy that way, lots of people have tried it, and there isn't much energy to capture.

16 hours ago, LOLLIPOPSJSJSJ said:

People tried this 2 years ago and failed. The energy generation is not enough to charge a phone.

If you want a realistic and operational means of power, you should look at projects like GravityLight and use DC generation instead.

22 hours ago, LOLLIPOPSJSJSJ said:

That's probably not going to work. A phone needs quite some energy to work, and that energy's gotta come from somewhere. A backpack going up and down won't do it. You'd have to be jumping and running all over the place to generate enough power.

If you have a bicycle, you could use a bike alternator to charge your phone when you're riding it. Be warned though, a phone needs more energy than you'd think and that energy's gotta come from somewhere, which means you'll go a lot slower.