Can't use the AI Performance mode on my Asus Prime Z390-A? Crashes the system upon startup every time.

Xaphiir
Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,
21 hours ago, Xaphiir said:

Alrighty, I did some digging and it turns out the AI Performance mode was trying to run it at 5.6GHz. I forced it down to 5.2 and now it's running a tiny bit unstable so 5.1 it is. To be honest, I don't entirely know if 5.1 is high or low for these newer chips but, honestly, anything above 5 for me is perfect. I don't know what the hell it was trying to do earlier.

Lmao, yeah 5.6 is an insane overclock, no wonder your poor CPU was falling over. I think you found the culprit :D

For Christmas, I decided to treat myself to a new motherboard and CPU. Got a 9700K and a Prime Z390-A. Unfortunately, I've been having non-stop issues with windows installation on the new parts. Upon booting up the system for the first time I did my normal things: Boot up, install windows, get most everything sorted out, shut down, open the BIOS and enable XMP and the Asus AI performance mode at the top right to have the motherboard handle the overclocking. At first, the computer booted fine with a comfy 4.5-4.6Ghz stable while idle. It BSOD'd once and now it freezes after the post screen unless I disable performance mode.

I tried turning off XMP, unplugging all drives except the boot drive, and resetting to defaults and ONLY enabling performance mode. The only thing that seems to let the computer boot is turning performance mode off completely. 

It's kind of a kick in the balls, honestly. I know the performance mode is not exactly a huge performance gain, however, I enjoy the way my old Z97 board handled overclocking on its own. My question now is: Would this be the board or the CPU's problem and which should I get a replacement for?

I'm sure this is an extra petty thing to want a replacement for, but I'd just like to have a 100% working motherboard (especially seeing as it's brand new).

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming in fear like his passengers.

6 minutes ago, Xaphiir said:

For Christmas, I decided to treat myself to a new motherboard and CPU. Got a 9700K and a Prime Z390-A. Unfortunately, I've been having non-stop issues with windows installation on the new parts. Upon booting up the system for the first time I did my normal things: Boot up, install windows, get most everything sorted out, shut down, open the BIOS and enable XMP and the Asus AI performance mode at the top right to have the motherboard handle the overclocking. At first, the computer booted fine with a comfy 4.5-4.6Ghz stable while idle. It BSOD'd once and now it freezes after the post screen unless I disable performance mode.

I tried turning off XMP, unplugging all drives except the boot drive, and resetting to defaults and ONLY enabling performance mode. The only thing that seems to let the computer boot is turning performance mode off completely. 

It's kind of a kick in the balls, honestly. I know the performance mode is not exactly a huge performance gain, however, I enjoy the way my old Z97 board handled overclocking on its own. My question now is: Would this be the board or the CPU's problem and which should I get a replacement for?

I'm sure this is an extra petty thing to want a replacement for, but I'd just like to have a 100% working motherboard (especially seeing as it's brand new).

It's probably the CPU causing the issue, not the board. It sounds like you got unlucky on the silicon lottery and your CPU doesn't like being pushed.

The only way to confirm or deny this would be to manually push the CPU and see how far it will go before it falls over.

Unfortunately CPU overclocking isn't covered by warranty, as long as your CPU performs within its advertised limits anything extra isn't covered so if you got unlucky with your CPU then you're stuck with it.

Obviously it could be that the board isn't handling the auto oc properly but again they would not accept that as a reason to replace the board because again, overclocking is not covered under warranty.

Sorry.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Thanks for the swift reply. I didn't think the performance mode would cause such a huge clock jump that it would make the CPU crash almost immediately. For now, I've asked Amazon to send me out a replacement to test out and, if that doesn't work then I'll try a friend's 9700k.

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming in fear like his passengers.

My primary confusion with this is that, even without the performance mode on, the CPU is being boosted to 4.8-4.9 while sitting under 60 degrees at full load. Would the processor still not want to get anywhere near whatever the Asus AI throws at it? Even when I had it on my old Z97 board it'd boost my 4790k maybe an extra 200 MHz. I assumed it'd do the same with the 9700k.

Alrighty, I did some digging and it turns out the AI Performance mode was trying to run it at 5.6GHz. I forced it down to 5.2 and now it's running a tiny bit unstable so 5.1 it is. To be honest, I don't entirely know if 5.1 is high or low for these newer chips but, honestly, anything above 5 for me is perfect. I don't know what the hell it was trying to do earlier.

2 minutes ago, Xaphiir said:

5.1 is good. You need to monitor voltage though, Try and stay around 1.35v.

I set it to 1.35v and it seems pretty happy there. Although, when I use CPU-Z to stress the CPU it drops to 4.6Ghz.

5 minutes ago, Xaphiir said:

I set it to 1.35v and it seems pretty happy there. Although, when I use CPU-Z to stress the CPU it drops to 4.6Ghz.

then you might wanna set a fixed 5ghz OC instead of doing this AI shit?

update bios

XMP 1

sync all cores 50

core voltage manual 1.325v

Load line calibration level 6

FCLK 1ghz

Alrighty, It's at a stable 5.1 currently. I did this OC manually without the AI's help and am currently running it just fine. The only thing I'm worried about is the temps. It's stable at about 40 C at idle and 75C at 100% load via CPUZ. Would you say these are comfortable or a tad hot?

21 hours ago, Xaphiir said:

Lmao, yeah 5.6 is an insane overclock, no wonder your poor CPU was falling over. I think you found the culprit :D

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 hours ago, Xaphiir said:

Alrighty, It's at a stable 5.1 currently. I did this OC manually without the AI's help and am currently running it just fine. The only thing I'm worried about is the temps. It's stable at about 40 C at idle and 75C at 100% load via CPUZ. Would you say these are comfortable or a tad hot?

75°c on air is reasonable, for me anything above 80°c is to hot however Intel chips are technically good up to 100°c.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/26/2018 at 5:44 AM, Xaphiir said:

I can confirm that it’s Ai Performance mode and XMP profile is causing the blue screen. I have Asus prime z390-a and I’m running into same issue. I OC my ram manually atm and turn Ai performance on cpu. I get 5.2 GHz on i5 9600k and Rams at 3000 MHz . I am running into couple of freezing for few secs  once in a while. Not sure why so I formatted pc and setting up again to test if it was driver updates. I will OC it manuall eventually and test it agin.