You thought GTX 1060 was confusing? You've seen nothing. Enter RTX 2060 and 6 variants of the same card

Bouzoo
1 minute ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

Uhm i think i could buy a nicely priced 4 gb card in 2019 i guess … but i would expect 6 or 8 in 20 to be totally honest… Thank god i cancelled that 1160 and decided to go and see what the competition has to offer... all in the name of science ofcourse!!!

I've been using a R9 390 for 3 years and it was issue after issue. Just switched to a GTX 1080 after the 390 died and I'm very happy with it. It's worth trying out if you have the money but I would stay away from AMD GPUs if you're even just a little bit serious about gaming/streaming/stuff that needs a good PC. I don't know how their CPUs are.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Who in their right mind would want to buy 3GB or 4GB version in 2019???

Screenshot (92).png

✨FNIGE✨

9 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

4GB version in 2019???

Don't see a reason not to if priced correctly. Mind you not everyone plays AAA games with huge textures. 4GB is more than adequate for almost anything nowadays for 1080p or I'd dare say even 1440p. I am sure every single one of us knows few people that don't need 6GB. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

13 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Like I was saying, that's just a list of SKU's. Not including the revisions. So, with how much I know Gigabyte, you can basically double the amount of versions.

This isn't just about Gigabyte though, AIBs are only allowed to make cards of authorized designs so while Gigabyte might do multiple revisions of cards we know what the Nvidia SKUs are from this information so we'll be seeing other AIBs with similar cards using the same Nvidia SKUs.

This is a heck of a lot of SKUs to be putting on to the market, even with all the weird extra ones from the Pascal generation those were at least a bit more spread out over the product life cycle, this is a rather large bulk hit of so many.

8 minutes ago, MysteriousAeon said:

I've been using a R9 390 for 3 years and it was issue after issue. Just switched to a GTX 1080 after the 390 died and I'm very happy with it. It's worth trying out if you have the money but I would stay away from AMD GPUs if you're even just a little bit serious about gaming/streaming/stuff that needs a good PC. I don't know how their CPUs are.

What issues did you have? I didn't have any with my 290X's.

Just now, leadeater said:

A current 570 is dying whenever we try to use AMD recording software. (And OBS throws a random error too ) :(

That's a real pain.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Lower FPS compared to GTX 970 almost everywhere, issues with OBS and alt-tabbing, artifacting, bad OpenGL (important for emulation). I had to make a Linux dual boot just to get decent performance out of modern emulators using OpenGL. I also had random PC crashes with audio loops during gaming for a while.

12 minutes ago, MysteriousAeon said:

I completely understand what a 'low' Gb's can do …. i played for atleast 4 years with the 770gtx 2 gb's and now i'm on a 1060 3 gb's which serves my gaming needs up untill now quite well …. I'm more of a strategy manager builder player so there is not really a need for superhigh fps results though warhammer 2 stretches that need considerably ;) 

and on the amd subject... i just finished my first amd build ever so ofcourse i'm curious to see how their gpu's hold up... The NAVI should be the shiiiiit so i reckon why not ? Still it will probably be 2020 before i ditch the 1060 if there is a real need 

10 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

A current 570 is dying whenever we try to use AMD recording software. (And OBS throws a random error too ) :(

That's a real pain.

Well that's annoying, any chance you've tried it cross multiple systems and the issues persists? Software issues like that are the worst because they are the hardest to figure out why or confirm it really is the hardware, when everything else about it functions fine.

10 minutes ago, MysteriousAeon said:

Lower FPS compared to GTX 970 almost everywhere

Far as I know that's generally correct, the 390 does fair better at higher resolutions but the number of games better optimized for it compared to the 970 is far smaller. As long as you paid less, not just a few dollars, I wouldn't think that is much of a negative point unless you weren't necessarily aware of the performance difference and preferred to have paid more.

artifacting

I also had random PC crashes with audio loops during gaming for a while.

I've encountered both of these when pushing an OC too high or the card hits power cap rather aggressively, I run mine with an increased power target and manual voltage steps so I never really hit problems unless it's self inflicted i.e. playing with the OC settings against better judgement.

Just now, leadeater said:

I've encountered both of these when pushing an OC too high or the card hits power cap rather aggressively, I run mine with an increased power target and manual voltage steps so I never really hit problems unless it's self inflicted i.e. playing with the OC settings against better judgement.

Sadly, I also had the issue while everything was on stock.

Just now, MysteriousAeon said:

Sadly, I also had the issue while everything was on stock.

AMD based cards aren't really known to generally have good stock settings, not sure if that's gotten better or worse but I've always gone straight to manual settings and found something that works well then try to not touch it after. Not sure if it's due to crossfire or one card is just better/worse than the other but one of the cards does actually need the increased power target even at the stock settings or in a few games it sometimes crashes to desktop. Not had a problem like that in a long time though since I set the OC profile.

Stuff like that doesn't tend to worry me since I'm aware of it, going with Nvidia does tend to mean you don't have to tweak unless you really want to. AIBs really do need to do a better job at stock voltage settings for AMD cards, that's where most issues come from if there are any.

29 minutes ago, leadeater said:

This isn't just about Gigabyte though, AIBs are only allowed to make cards of authorized designs so while Gigabyte might do multiple revisions of cards we know what the Nvidia SKUs are from this information so we'll be seeing other AIBs with similar cards using the same Nvidia SKUs.

This is a heck of a lot of SKUs to be putting on to the market, even with all the weird extra ones from the Pascal generation those were at least a bit more spread out over the product life cycle, this is a rather large bulk hit of so many.

No, I'm talking literally revisions of same product.

Like Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB WindForce 3X Rev.1.0 and Rev 2.0

Same exact card with usually minor changes to something on  the card, probably components or even layout.

Pass the vomit bin, please

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

2 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Apparently there are gonna be 3 versions of RTX 2060 cards, with 3, 4 and 6GB of VRAM. Even better, each one of those will have GDDR5 and GDDR6 variants. So what are welooking at? New hell for consumers.

According to videocardz (this is only GIgabyte, so 1 OEM, 39 CARDS!!!!!):

Not a lot to say except what in the flying f*** is this supposed to be? Imagine if they introduce the GDDR5X and 10/11 Gbps variants. We may end up with 9 or 12 cards. Jesus Christ, someone actually got paid to come up with those naming schemes and even worse, with the product(s).

Dafuq.

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

Ryzen 5900X

Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm AIO

Ballistix 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 RGB

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC

Corsair RM850X

Predator XB273UGS QHD IPS 165 Hz

iPhone 13 Pro 128GB Graphite

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

. One example here in Europe is ketchup, everyone uses volume (millilitres or ml) on ketchup bottles except Heinz who use weight instead.

Well no, it's because they're an American company.

40 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

No, I'm talking literally revisions of same product.

Like Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB WindForce 3X Rev.1.0 and Rev 2.0

Same exact card with usually minor changes to something on  the card, probably components or even layout.

I know what you are talking about but what everyone else is actually interested in is seeing all the Nvidia SKUs that will exist i.e. far more than Pascal had for the same tier card at release.

25 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Seems like my R9 Nano will still have some resell value as 4GB is apperantly still being called adequate. 

Depends. 

If you're after 1440p/2160p gaming and/or play the very latest games at maximum quality presets, then I'd say 4GB isn't adequate. 

But if you mostly play on 1080p and/or you play games that don't push the graphical boundaries/game at lower settings, 4GB is probably adequate at least for now. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

AMD based cards aren't really known to generally have good stock settings, not sure if that's gotten better or worse but I've always gone straight to manual settings and found something that works well then try to not touch it after. Not sure if it's due to crossfire or one card is just better/worse than the other but one of the cards does actually need the increased power target even at the stock settings or in a few games it sometimes crashes to desktop. Not had a problem like that in a long time though since I set the OC profile.

Stuff like that doesn't tend to worry me since I'm aware of it, going with Nvidia does tend to mean you don't have to tweak unless you really want to. AIBs really do need to do a better job at stock voltage settings for AMD cards, that's where most issues come from if there are any.

In his case it looks more like a software issue than anything else. Seems like he's trying to play on Linux and having issues with the workarounds he tries. I'm pretty sure whatever card he'd have would have some issues with the software he uses.

On my r9 fury, I sometimes have issues I can fix by uninstalling drivers and reinstalling them from scratch, or just wait until the next update which fixes it anyway.

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

Seems like my R9 Nano will still have some resell value as 4GB is apperantly still being called adequate. 

1080p will generally stay under 3 Gb for another year, as the large supply of 1060 3Gb in the market make that something of a limiter for a bit.

It should probably be noted, those GDDR5 "2060" could be a repurposed 1070 model. I would assume they wouldn't do that, but, well, this is Nvidia.

1 hour ago, ravenshrike said:

Well no, it's because they're an American company.

It really isn't. They were a part of an investigation by the BBC a few years back (including many other companies too) for trying to mislead customers by using hard to convert measurements on their packaging.

Another focus was multipack deals where buying the multipack was more expensive than buying 2 singles or you got less by smaller packets.

After the BBC and trading standards got involved guess what? Suddenly they started printing both volume and weight on the labels so yeah, they can do it when the threat of prosecution comes along but not before? Pull the other one, it's got bells on it.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, laminutederire said:

In his case it looks more like a software issue than anything else. Seems like he's trying to play on Linux and having issues with the workarounds he tries. I'm pretty sure whatever card he'd have would have some issues with the software he uses.

On my r9 fury, I sometimes have issues I can fix by uninstalling drivers and reinstalling them from scratch, or just wait until the next update which fixes it anyway.

That is not true in the slightest. I use Windows 10 as my main OS and all the issues I listed happened on Windows. Linux is just for Cemu (a Wii U emulator).

1 minute ago, MysteriousAeon said:

That is not true in the slightest. I use Windows 10 as my main OS and all the issues I listed happened on Windows. Linux is just for Cemu (a Wii U emulator).

Why would you run a Windows based emulator in Linux?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I'm so glad integrated graphics is making it possible to have a decent gaming PC without a discrete GPU. I'm just waiting for AMD to sell a 6 core APU with DDR5 system memory which is supposed to start opening that bandwidth floodgate a little more. Probably another 2+ year wait though.